Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom

Default Fish eyes in poly varnish

I am applying a new coat(s) of MinWax wipe on satin poly. I roughed up
the old original coat and am sanding between coats. There are fish eyes
in the finish from years and years of waxing, cleaning, etc.. Is there
anything I can do to cover these blemishes short of stripping the table
down to the wood. My brother in law told me that doing this might not
solve the problem, there could be wax or silicone in the wood and the
fish eyes will still be there.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am applying a new coat(s) of MinWax wipe on satin poly. I roughed up
the old original coat and am sanding between coats. There are fish eyes
in the finish from years and years of waxing, cleaning, etc.. Is there
anything I can do to cover these blemishes short of stripping the table
down to the wood. My brother in law told me that doing this might not
solve the problem, there could be wax or silicone in the wood and the
fish eyes will still be there.

I would try sanding to bare wood, putting down a coat of shellac and then
your varnish of choice excluding the MinWax brand.

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Tom wrote:

I am applying a new coat(s) of MinWax wipe on satin poly. I roughed up
the old original coat and am sanding between coats. There are fish eyes
in the finish from years and years of waxing, cleaning, etc.. Is there
anything I can do to cover these blemishes short of stripping the table
down to the wood. My brother in law told me that doing this might not
solve the problem, there could be wax or silicone in the wood and the
fish eyes will still be there.

apply DEWAXED shellac to the bare wood and don't sand with sterated
sandpaper.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am applying a new coat(s) of MinWax wipe on satin poly. I roughed up
the old original coat and am sanding between coats. There are fish eyes
in the finish from years and years of waxing, cleaning, etc.. Is there
anything I can do to cover these blemishes short of stripping the table
down to the wood. My brother in law told me that doing this might not
solve the problem, there could be wax or silicone in the wood and the
fish eyes will still be there.

Fish eye can sometimes be bridged - and sometimes not. It's worth trying.
If it's silicone, you can have your work cut out for you. That stuff does
not know how to quit. Scruff the surface with a 3M pad and try layering on
another coat. If you are brushing it on, do not work the area with the
brush - layer it on in one direction as smoothly as you can and don't touch
it again. It might not hurt to wipe the surface down with mineral spirits
after you scruff it. If it's silicone the mineral spirits won't touch the
stuff, but if it's some other contaminate you might have more luck. If you
get immediate fish eye again when you try to apply a bridging coat, then
you're going to have to sand or scruff more and perhaps try a stronger
solvent like lacquer thinner - very carefully.

--

-Mike-