Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom H

Default Water-borne Finishes (Poly vs Lacquer vs Varnish)

I want to use a water-borne spray finish because of my confined shop.
I've been brushing for years and recently purchased a HVLP gun.
I make furniture and small boxes and want a good all around finish.

I've been looking at Target Coatings ( http://www.targetcoatings.com/ ).
They sell water-borne poly, lacquer and varnish.
The varnish looks good to me but has an 8 month shelf life.

I would appreciate any suggestions from those of you using water-borne spray
products.

Posted to rec.woodworking
LP

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 21:09:18 GMT, "Tom H" wrote:

I want to use a water-borne spray finish because of my confined shop.
I've been brushing for years and recently purchased a HVLP gun.
I make furniture and small boxes and want a good all around finish.

I've been looking at Target Coatings ( http://www.targetcoatings.com/ ).
They sell water-borne poly, lacquer and varnish.
The varnish looks good to me but has an 8 month shelf life.

I would appreciate any suggestions from those of you using water-borne spray
products.

You won't go wrong with Target's products. I've been using their
lacquers and poly's for about 3 years and couldnt be happier.

Haven't used the varnish, but if shelf life is a problem you can buy
in smaller quantities. I generally buy in gallons and it hasnt been
any trouble at all.

Waterborne finishes have come a long way in the last 15 years, as
witnessed by the finish on those shiney new cars you see on the road.
For woodworkers, Target is in the forefront of the research and are
continually improving their products, and developing new ones to make
our lives easier.

As with anything new there's a learning curve, but put in the time and
in the end you'll be very glad you did.
Posted to rec.woodworking
wayne mak

I used a water based poly for the first time the results have been great. I
like the look of the finish much more than the oil based finish, plus dry
time and clean up are much better.
"Tom H" wrote in message
. com...
I want to use a water-borne spray finish because of my confined shop.
I've been brushing for years and recently purchased a HVLP gun.
I make furniture and small boxes and want a good all around finish.

I've been looking at Target Coatings ( http://www.targetcoatings.com/ ).
They sell water-borne poly, lacquer and varnish.
The varnish looks good to me but has an 8 month shelf life.

I would appreciate any suggestions from those of you using water-borne
spray products.

Posted to rec.woodworking
cm

I have been using several water bourne finishes from Fuhr. I am very
pleased with them overall. I like to use their exterior rated products.

Craig

www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

"Tom H" wrote in message
. com...
I want to use a water-borne spray finish because of my confined shop.
I've been brushing for years and recently purchased a HVLP gun.
I make furniture and small boxes and want a good all around finish.

I've been looking at Target Coatings ( http://www.targetcoatings.com/ ).
They sell water-borne poly, lacquer and varnish.
The varnish looks good to me but has an 8 month shelf life.

I would appreciate any suggestions from those of you using water-borne
spray products.

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Tom H wrote:
I want to use a water-borne spray finish because of my confined shop.
I've been brushing for years and recently purchased a HVLP gun.
I make furniture and small boxes and want a good all around finish.

I've been looking at Target Coatings ( http://www.targetcoatings.com/ ).
They sell water-borne poly, lacquer and varnish.
The varnish looks good to me but has an 8 month shelf life.

I would appreciate any suggestions from those of you using water-borne spray
products.

I read the other replies. seems we are all using something different. I
use Enduro water bornes. They work great for me. One of the big WW
mags put them ahead of all the other reviewed finishes, but I forget
which mag and issue. It's been over a year. I use their "extra" stuff
like the Crosslinker and Conditioner. Crosslinker for durability for
horizontal surfaces and conditioner for flow out.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
JGS

I have used Fuhr and Target products. I like them both but as the Fuhr
products are available locally they are presently the product of choice. The
one caveat is that WB stains on oak can be a bit of a problem. An easy
solution is to mix in some of their WB porefiller when you apply the stain.
Cheers, JG

cm wrote:

I have been using several water bourne finishes from Fuhr. I am very
pleased with them overall. I like to use their exterior rated products.

Craig

www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

"Tom H" wrote in message
. com...
I want to use a water-borne spray finish because of my confined shop.
I've been brushing for years and recently purchased a HVLP gun.
I make furniture and small boxes and want a good all around finish.

I've been looking at Target Coatings ( http://www.targetcoatings.com/ ).
They sell water-borne poly, lacquer and varnish.
The varnish looks good to me but has an 8 month shelf life.

I would appreciate any suggestions from those of you using water-borne
spray products.

Posted to rec.woodworking
HarryS

I've applied waterborne by brush and was pleasantly surprised at how nice
the finish looked.

Does anyone have experience spraying it? Not airless, a conventional air
gun.

Harry

. com...