Posted to rec.woodworking
Tv

Default How thick can oak veneer be without becoming unstable?

I am designing a fairly simple oak dining table for a client. She wants
a european design with a big thick edge on all 4 sides. This warrants
making a frame around the top itself. My concern is that the frame on
the end grain will restrict the movement across the grain of the top.

A solution I am pondering is to use 1/4" veneer laminated to plywood
or MDF. Can 1/4" stock remain stable when glued to a stable
sub-surface? I am using white oak, possibly quarter sawn.

The client really wants solid wood, but her design requirements really
preclude that. I am hoping that 1/4" thick solid wood on top of MDF or
plywood will satisfy her constraints.

Any thoughts?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Wood Butcher

There's no reason you can't give her what she wants.
Just use a bunch of short pieces of oak on the ends and
match the grain direction so it's all end grain at the ends.
If you do make the top out of QS the frame should be
QS too.

Art

"Tv" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am designing a fairly simple oak dining table for a client. She wants
a european design with a big thick edge on all 4 sides. This warrants
making a frame around the top itself. My concern is that the frame on
the end grain will restrict the movement across the grain of the top.

A solution I am pondering is to use 1/4" veneer laminated to plywood
or MDF. Can 1/4" stock remain stable when glued to a stable
sub-surface? I am using white oak, possibly quarter sawn.

The client really wants solid wood, but her design requirements really
preclude that. I am hoping that 1/4" thick solid wood on top of MDF or
plywood will satisfy her constraints.

Any thoughts?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 3/27/2006 10:50 PM Tv mumbled something about the following:
I am designing a fairly simple oak dining table for a client. She wants
a european design with a big thick edge on all 4 sides. This warrants
making a frame around the top itself. My concern is that the frame on
the end grain will restrict the movement across the grain of the top.

A solution I am pondering is to use 1/4" veneer laminated to plywood
or MDF. Can 1/4" stock remain stable when glued to a stable
sub-surface? I am using white oak, possibly quarter sawn.

The client really wants solid wood, but her design requirements really
preclude that. I am hoping that 1/4" thick solid wood on top of MDF or
plywood will satisfy her constraints.

Any thoughts?

Make the table solid oak as she wants. To make the big thick frame,
just double up on the ends and viola, you have thick edges.

It's only your thinking that precludes her getting what she wants.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Tv wrote:
I am designing a fairly simple oak dining table for a client. She
wants a european design with a big thick edge on all 4 sides. This
warrants making a frame around the top itself. My concern is that
the frame on the end grain will restrict the movement across the
grain of the top.

A solution I am pondering is to use 1/4" veneer laminated to plywood
or MDF. Can 1/4" stock remain stable when glued to a stable
sub-surface? I am using white oak, possibly quarter sawn.

I think you are courting problems with anything thicker than 1/8"
______________________

The client really wants solid wood, but her design requirements really
preclude that. I am hoping that 1/4" thick solid wood on top of MDF or
plywood will satisfy her constraints.

Any thoughts?

1. Bread board ends. Preferably with a quirk next to the side pieces to
camouflage the top's expansion/contraction.

2. Or (as was suggested) double/triple the thickness at the edges.

3. Use 12/4 for the top

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tv

That is a valid option, but that precludes having a frame on all 4
sides. The frame for the ends wants to run perpendicular to the grain
which will limit movement. A breadboard edge was my original solution,
but she wants the legs to join at the corner flush with the big thick
edge treatment. I cannot join the leg to a breadboard edge. there are a
lot of conflicting requirements with her design.

Thanks for the input.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Tv wrote:
That is a valid option, but that precludes having a frame on all 4
sides. The frame for the ends wants to run perpendicular to the grain
which will limit movement. A breadboard edge was my original solution,
but she wants the legs to join at the corner flush with the big thick
edge treatment. I cannot join the leg to a breadboard edge. there are
a lot of conflicting requirements with her design.

Sounds like a very unreasonable - and unknowledgeable - lady.
Obviously, the best top for what she wants is ply. However, there might
be a way - what if...

1. Make the table the way she wants but use extra, hidden end aprons

2. Attach the legs to the hidden aprons in whatever manner; attach the
top to them with the normal clips in a groove.

3. Now add the breadboard end to the tops

You'd have to jiggle around with the leg thickness/depth so that they
*appeared* to be attached to the breadboard ends and so that you had
enough meat to attach both hidden and visible aprons.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

What is wrong with just getting veneered plywood, QS if you like?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 21:02:48 -0800, "Wood Butcher"
wrote:

There's no reason you can't give her what she wants.
Just use a bunch of short pieces of oak on the ends and
match the grain direction so it's all end grain at the ends.

Or make the top longer than needed and slice off strips from the ends.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking
Wood Butcher

Elegant.
Perfect grain and expansion match.
Simpler than my suggestion too.

Art

wrote:

There's no reason you can't give her what she wants.
Just use a bunch of short pieces of oak on the ends and
match the grain direction so it's all end grain at the ends.

Or make the top longer than needed and slice off strips from the ends.

-Leuf

Glue for shop-made veneer [email protected] Woodworking 3 April 8th 05 09:09 PM
Experiences hammer veenering? Paul Kierstead Woodworking 14 March 22nd 04 06:34 PM
Help gluing veneer to kitchen cabinets Pierre David Woodworking 8 March 8th 04 09:00 PM
European Oak Veneer John Woodworking 0 January 18th 04 01:21 AM
Solid wood, veneer over mdf or plywood Rich Zellmer Woodworking 3 January 6th 04 02:28 PM