Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
ted harris

Default compressor auto drain question...

Hello,
I just purchased a Harbor Freight auto drain kit here;
Anyone got any pictures of their installation job or any tips on installing
it?

Thanks,
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Al

Hey Ted,

this drain kit, is it supposed to drain your tank automatically or do you
still have to drain it a bit to release the condensation?
It may be a stupid question but if I don't ask then how would I know?

Al

"ted harris" wrote in message
Hello,
I just purchased a Harbor Freight auto drain kit here;
Anyone got any pictures of their installation job or any tips on
installing
it?

Thanks,
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
CW

Notice the pressure rating? 100 PSI. I don't know about yours but my
compressor charges to 150 PSI. Being under rated and from Harbor Freight
means I wouldn't use it.

"ted harris" wrote in message
Hello,
I just purchased a Harbor Freight auto drain kit here;
Anyone got any pictures of their installation job or any tips on

installing
it?

Thanks,
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

Hey Ted & Al

I installed this kit about 2 years ago. works great no real trick to
installing just make
sure you cut the correct line to put the tee in. you need a small
tubing cutter and do your self a favor and ****can the nylon tubing and
the tee in the kit and replace with something of higher quality the
valve works well and yes Al it automatically
opens the drain momentarly? when the compresser starts and stops I also
think its a good idea to install a manual drain valve also and open it
every now and then, say monthly just to be sure the auto drain is
keeping up.

Keith

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

Just to clarify it's not clear on the website the 100 psi max is for
the nylon/plastic line from the drain to the tee it
should never get that high. the tee is installed in the dump line which
is only under pressure when the compresser starts or stops. other wise
the drain would be open the whole time it's running.

Keith

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
ted harris

In news:Al typed:
Hey Ted,

this drain kit, is it supposed to drain your tank automatically or do you
still have to drain it a bit to release the condensation?
It may be a stupid question but if I don't ask then how would I know?

Al

Did you click on the link provided?
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

I agree. My compressor always exceeds 100 psi and I question the
quality (is this thing made in China???) Extending the drain valve
makes a lot of sense but you don't need a "kit" for that.

"ted harris" wrote in message
Hello,
I just purchased a Harbor Freight auto drain kit here;
Anyone got any pictures of their installation job or any tips on

installing
it?

Thanks,
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Jim Wilson

ted harris wrote...
Hello,
I just purchased a Harbor Freight auto drain kit here;
Anyone got any pictures of their installation job or any tips on installing
it?

Guess I've been slacking keeping up with the wreck lately. Here's my page
on it, late though it is...

http://www.paragoncode.com/shop/compressor/

Cheers!

Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Gooey TARBALLS

That [http://www.paragoncode.com/shop/compressor/] was a great site. I've
had one of those HF auto drain kits for a year or more because I could NOT
figure out how to connect it to my SEARS compressor - this page answered
that question.

But he did not use the HF device. Anyone actually se the HF device and get
it working?

"Jim Wilson" wrote in message
.net...
ted harris wrote...
Hello,
I just purchased a Harbor Freight auto drain kit here;
Anyone got any pictures of their installation job or any tips on
installing
it?

Guess I've been slacking keeping up with the wreck lately. Here's my page
on it, late though it is...

http://www.paragoncode.com/shop/compressor/

Cheers!

Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Mike Marlow

"Gooey TARBALLS" wrote in message
That [http://www.paragoncode.com/shop/compressor/] was a great site. I've
had one of those HF auto drain kits for a year or more because I could NOT
figure out how to connect it to my SEARS compressor - this page answered
that question.

But he did not use the HF device. Anyone actually se the HF device and get
it working?

According to the web page he did indeed use the Harbor Freight product. No
matter - the Harbor Freight sniffers I've seen in the store are exactly like
what is pictured in the link below and would install exactly the same way.
It sure does look like the HF device to me.

What are you confused about having looked at the site? I looked at it and
it's well documented and you should be able to install your HF device just
as described on the site.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Jim Wilson

Gooey TARBALLS wrote...
That [http://www.paragoncode.com/shop/compressor/] was a great site.

Thank you for the kind words!

But he did not use the HF device.

It was one of them. HF sells two differently numbered kits. I don't know
why; I've used both and they are equivalent to each other.

To address another question someone raised in this thread -- I am not
absolutely positive -- but I believe the 100 psi spec is for the plastic
tubing that connects the unloader line to the valve. It is indeed pretty
wimpy and can burst under pressure, especially if it gets too hot. Still,
my compressor switches off at 120 psi, and the auto-drainer has been
working *almost* flawlessly since 2001.

Once when I had been using a pneumatic sander for a long time, the line
popped. The plastic had gotten soft from all the heat and blew a hole. It
was an easy fix, but annoying.

To avoid this possibility, you can replace the plastic tubing with
standard 1/4" copper line. I did this for the compressor at my friend
Rob's gas station. It works very well. We had to cut the nipple off the
fitting where the unloader line attaches to the valve, though. We also
had to replace the nut and the tee with standard compression fittings. As
you can imagine, a gas station compressor gets a lot of use. Rob's has
been problem-free for a couple years so far.

Cheers!

Jim