Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Houseman

Default Lee Valley - Toronto West - WOW!

I had read the posts about Lee Valley, but was not sure if I really
believed it.

A made a visit to the store this week when I was on a trip to Toronto.

I am sold. The displays are useful and wonderful, the staff
knowledgeable and the stock is deep. I ordered half a dozen of a couple
of items, something I can not do at my local hardware...It was no issue.

The prices were reasonable.

If you get to Toronto, make sure you visit one of the stores...and if
you do not want to go home broke, leave the credit cards at the hotel.

All I can say is - Robin - When are you coming to Michigan?

Doug

PS I have no ties to the store or the owners - I am just a satisfied
customer!
Posted to rec.woodworking
Tanus

Doug Houseman wrote:
I had read the posts about Lee Valley, but was not sure if I really
believed it.

A made a visit to the store this week when I was on a trip to Toronto.

I am sold.

Me too. I work across the road from the flaghsip store in Ottawa, and
I'm in there at least once a week. I was in today, with a problem that
the sales staff solved for me. It's like that almost every time;
someone knows something. And if the staff don't, a customer may pipe up
with an answer.

The Lees truly seem to know what they're doing, and that translates to
everyone associated with the store.

Tanus

Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The Doug Houseman entity posted thusly:

I had read the posts about Lee Valley, but was not sure if I really
believed it.

A made a visit to the store this week when I was on a trip to Toronto.

I am sold. The displays are useful and wonderful, the staff
knowledgeable and the stock is deep. I ordered half a dozen of a couple
of items, something I can not do at my local hardware...It was no issue.

Ain't they wonderful? I once told a staff member that if I ever won a
lottery, the first thing I'd do is come in and order 1 of everything,
then come back for more of the REALLY neat things.

No Lee Valley in Regina, unfortunately, but I may be going to
Vancouver for a week or so in May, and you can bet a visit to LV is in
the plan.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael Daly

On 24-Mar-2006, Doug Houseman wrote:

The displays are useful and wonderful, the staff
knowledgeable and the stock is deep.

I keep wondering if the average American, having never seen the inside of a Lee Valley
store, imagines a huge American-style big-box store with aisles and aisles of great stuff.
I also wonder if they'd be stunned to see that a typical Lee Valley is actually a tiny little
store with _one_ of everything on a bunch of displays and an order counter in front of a
warehouse.

It's funny how long it takes me to walk through those little stores...

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 05:55:01 GMT, "Michael Daly"
wrote:

On 24-Mar-2006, Doug Houseman wrote:

The displays are useful and wonderful, the staff
knowledgeable and the stock is deep.

I keep wondering if the average American, having never seen the inside of a Lee Valley
store, imagines a huge American-style big-box store with aisles and aisles of great stuff.
I also wonder if they'd be stunned to see that a typical Lee Valley is actually a tiny little
store with _one_ of everything on a bunch of displays and an order counter in front of a
warehouse.

It's funny how long it takes me to walk through those little stores...

Mike

I've always imagined something more along the lines of a Woodcraft store,
just with cooler stuff. It sounds more like a Woodworkers' Supply store;
relatively small display area with a warehouse for the big stuff.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Brad

It is amazing, that is my problem. I work about 15 minutes from that
store and I have to be careful to not visit too often - it can be Hard
on the bank account! Soooo many toys, too little income to pay for
them.
Brad

Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale

"Michael Daly" wrote in message

I keep wondering if the average American, having never seen the inside of

a Lee Valley
store, imagines a huge American-style big-box store with aisles and aisles

of great stuff.
I also wonder if they'd be stunned to see that a typical Lee Valley is

actually a tiny little
store with _one_ of everything on a bunch of displays and an order counter

in front of a
warehouse.

There's a few distinct advantages and disadvantages to such a set-up.
Biggest advantage is you don't get customers ripping open boxes to examine
stuff and leaving a mess with parts and wrapping all over the place. The
collateral to that is there's few things more exasperating that getting home
with your package and finding that something is missing from the box. I
image it would also cut down on shoplifting. Second thing I like is that you
can actually examine a completely assembled product and almost always know
immediately if it's capable of doing what you need it to do. One other thing
that every customer likes is that the staff are extremely knowledgeable and
willing to go out of their way to help you decide on your purchasing
decision. I don't know if that's part of the comradely of a fellow
woodworker or that LV managers look for employees with that type of
temperament ~ probably a little of both.

The only disadvantage that comes to mind *is* the limited space. LV stores
are often very busy and getting around in the store can be difficult
(especially for me in my wheelchair). Occasionally, there's product areas in
the store that are virtually impossible for me to reach and then I have to
order a product and examine it at the order counter to know if I want to buy
it or not. But then, I usually come armed with a measure of product
knowledge from what I've read in their excellent catalogue or viewed on
their website.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Houseman

In article ,
"Upscale" wrote:

[...]

Well -

On the idea of boxes - there are few - everything is out and in displays
for you to see...all the pieces in the box are in clear view, knobs,
screws, bits, etc.

I wanted a pocket hole jig...and I could not decide from the
catalog...in I went and there as a whole end cap devoted to it, complete
with workpieces in place, so you could see how each piece worked.

As for wheelchair, I think the knobs might be a problem, they run to 8
or so feet above the floor and the full length pantry setup to show off
all the bins and shelves and things might be a problem, but most of the
rest is between 18 and 42 inches off the floor.

Doug
Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Brown

I was to the Lee Valley in Sasktoon a month ago and I was quite impressed.
I have been to the flagship store in Ottawa and to the store in Winnipeg and
so far I found the Saskatoon store the nicest. Just anothere excuse for a
trip to Toon Town.
"Oleg Lego" wrote in message
The Doug Houseman entity posted thusly:

I had read the posts about Lee Valley, but was not sure if I really
believed it.

A made a visit to the store this week when I was on a trip to Toronto.

I am sold. The displays are useful and wonderful, the staff
knowledgeable and the stock is deep. I ordered half a dozen of a couple
of items, something I can not do at my local hardware...It was no issue.

Ain't they wonderful? I once told a staff member that if I ever won a
lottery, the first thing I'd do is come in and order 1 of everything,
then come back for more of the REALLY neat things.

No Lee Valley in Regina, unfortunately, but I may be going to
Vancouver for a week or so in May, and you can bet a visit to LV is in
the plan.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robin Lee

"Doug Houseman" wrote in message
I had read the posts about Lee Valley, but was not sure if I really
believed it.

A made a visit to the store this week when I was on a trip to Toronto.

I am sold. The displays are useful and wonderful, the staff
knowledgeable and the stock is deep. I ordered half a dozen of a couple
of items, something I can not do at my local hardware...It was no issue.

The prices were reasonable.

If you get to Toronto, make sure you visit one of the stores...and if
you do not want to go home broke, leave the credit cards at the hotel.

All I can say is - Robin - When are you coming to Michigan?

Doug

PS I have no ties to the store or the owners - I am just a satisfied
customer!

Hi Doug -

Thanks for kind comments.... glad you enjoyed the visit!

Cheers -

Rob

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robin Lee

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
(snip )

I've always imagined something more along the lines of a Woodcraft

store,
just with cooler stuff. It sounds more like a Woodworkers' Supply store;
relatively small display area with a warehouse for the big stuff.

(snip)

Hi Mark -

Typical store configuration is 20-25K sq feet, with 6-8k in showroom, and
the balance in mezzanined warehouse...

Each store is similar, but has it's own character.

The one with the most "character" will open a week today - in downtown
Toronto.... It's in a heritage warehouse building in downtown Toronto - and
will occupy 1 1/2 floors....

Will see if I can scrounge up the links to some pictures....WIP only, not
fully set-up....

Cheers -

Rob

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robin Lee

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
(snip)
I've always imagined something more along the lines of a Woodcraft

store,
just with cooler stuff. It sounds more like a Woodworkers' Supply store;
relatively small display area with a warehouse for the big stuff.

(snip)

Here you go .... a rec.ww exclusive.... interior pics of the new store -
set-up in progress!

All pics are about 100K....

http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/sr1.jpg
http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/sr2.jpg
http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/sr3.jpg
http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/sr4.jpg
http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/sr5.jpg
http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/sr6.jpg
http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/sr7.jpg

Cheers -

Rob

Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale

Default Lee Valley - Toronto South

"Robin Lee" wrote in message
Here you go .... a rec.ww exclusive.... interior pics of the new store -
set-up in progress!

http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/sr1.jpg
http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/sr2.jpg
http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/sr3.jpg
http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/sr4.jpg
http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/sr5.jpg

The display areas look substantially bigger than the Eastern and Western
Toronto stores. ~ or is that only because stock hasn't yet been laid out on
the shelves? Either way, it looks like a prime piece of real estate.

Posted to rec.woodworking
cdo

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 09:32:53 -0500, "Robin Lee"
wrote:

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
.. .
(snip)
I've always imagined something more along the lines of a Woodcraft

store,
just with cooler stuff. It sounds more like a Woodworkers' Supply store;
relatively small display area with a warehouse for the big stuff.

(snip)

Here you go .... a rec.ww exclusive.... interior pics of the new store -
set-up in progress!

All pics are about 100K....

http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/sr1.jpg
http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/sr2.jpg
http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/sr3.jpg
http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/sr4.jpg
http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/sr5.jpg
http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/sr6.jpg
http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/sr7.jpg

Cheers -

Rob

Oh, Man! Any chance we'll ever see anything like that down here in
Houston? I'd love to browse one of the stores; the LV catalog is the
only one of the WW types that my wife will take the time to look
through when it shows up in the mail. Might be something to do with
those fabulous cover layouts...

I'm going to have to see about stopping at that Toronto store in
September on my way up to our cottages on Stony Lake. When does it
open up (looks like you're pretty close)?

Cliff
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robin Lee

wrote:

[...]

Hi Cliff -

It opens one week from today...

Cheers -

Rob

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 09:15:40 -0500, "Robin Lee" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the preview of the new store. Looks very similar to the WWS
store in Albuquerque, NM, except I bet yours will have much more cool stuff
vis a vis hand tools. (WWS is pretty cool from the power tool side).

Too bad ya'll aren't located anywhere in the southwest US. [Then again,
maybe that's a good thing].