Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y

Default Anybody familiar with the area around the PA Grizzly showroom?

Folks,

I'm thinking of flying my little airplane to visit the Muncy, PA Grizzly
showroom (7+ hrs vs. 2 hrs., each way). I can fly into Williamsport,
which is ~ 7 miles from the showroom. If I really don't have to, I
would rather not rent a car to get from the airport to the showroom &
back. My alternatives are my bicycle and public transportation. A few
questions for those familiar with the area:

Are there decent (bicycle friendly) non-interstate roads connecting the
Williamsport area with the Grizz location? Mapquest and Delorme Street
Atlas aren't clear. I don't have a problem riding with cars, but six
lane, 55 MPH, divided roads can be a tad "challenging". G How's the
terrain? Flat, rolling hills, mountainous?

Is there decent public transportation, like a regularily scheduled
regional bus or light rail line?

Is there dependable taxicab service in Williamsport or Muncy?

Thanks!
Barry
Posted to rec.woodworking
A.J. Hamler

Barry...

The area is mostly large, rolling hills, with some of them fairly
steep. I always rented a car when I went, and seem to remember that
the distance from airport to the Grizzly building (near the shopping
mall) isn't particularly close and I used the interstate to get from
one place to the other. But again, even though I like bicycling, the
times I've been there I wasn't paying attention to pedaling distance,
or to whether there were secondary roads more conducive to biking.
There is no light rail I'm aware of, but there may be buses. The taxi
service, however, is quite dependable. They have a very nice little
airport, by the way.

Enjoy the trip. You'll find the showroom quite impressive.

A.J.

B A R R Y wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y

A.J. Hamler wrote:
Barry...

The area is mostly large, rolling hills, with some of them fairly
steep. I always rented a car when I went, and seem to remember that
the distance from airport to the Grizzly building (near the shopping
mall) isn't particularly close and I used the interstate to get from
one place to the other. But again, even though I like bicycling, the
times I've been there I wasn't paying attention to pedaling distance,
or to whether there were secondary roads more conducive to biking.
There is no light rail I'm aware of, but there may be buses. The taxi
service, however, is quite dependable. They have a very nice little
airport, by the way.

Thanks for the excellent response. I'll pursue the taxi.

IPT looks pretty good on Airnav, and I didn't really want to depend on
availability of a courtesy car.

Thanks again!
Posted to rec.woodworking
David Merrill

Try he http://maps.google.com/
Type in 'muncy, pa'; select 'hybrid' button in the upper-right corner; use
the +- buttons in the upper-left; pan the image by holding down the left
mouse button and dragging.

David Merrill

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Just a thought Barry.

Maybe somebody at Grizzly already knows these types of facts.

It wouldn't hurt to ask.

Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y

Lee Michaels wrote:

Maybe somebody at Grizzly already knows these types of facts.

You'd think... But! G

Barry
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

"B A R R Y" wrote

Lee Michaels wrote:

Maybe somebody at Grizzly already knows these types of facts.

You'd think... But! G

I know of what you speak.

Often, when talking on the phone with a store, I will ask for directions.
And the person is clueless. I then ask if their mommy drives them to work.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

Often, when talking on the phone with a store, I will ask for directions.
And the person is clueless. I then ask if their mommy drives them to work.

I get a similar response when I call a restaurant and ask if they are
accessible and have a wheelchair accessible washroom on the premises. When
they're not sure about getting into the restaurant, I ask if there's any
steps to get inside. When they're not sure about the washroom, I ask if
they've noticed a stall that has a wider than normal door. When they say
they don't know, I then have to ask them to go to the washroom and look. I
often get passed to the manager at that point.

Unfortunately, Canada doesn't yet have an organization that comes close to
the clout of your ADA.

Posted to rec.woodworking
W Canaday

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 11:47:22 -0500, Upscale wrote:

Unfortunately, Canada doesn't yet have an organization that comes close to
the clout of your ADA.

Considering how many websites I encounter that absolutely require Flash
before divulging ANY information, I'm not certain that the US ADA has
-enough- clout.
Posted to rec.woodworking
brianlanning

I always heard that small airports often have a car that you can
borrow, sort of one of the perks that the private plane people often
get.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking
John \(aka wheelzuk\)

Barry,

Would you be kind enough to do a small flight detour to collect me in Edinburgh UK? We don't have anything like Grizzly stores, and especially not of the size you have in the US. Like another replier, I'm also a wheelchair user, hope you can accomodate that too? ;-))

Leg pull over! Hope you get your info, transport and visit organized? Good luck
Posted to rec.woodworking
Tyke

I was at the Grizzly Muncy showroom a couple of weeks ago. I have been a
few times.

This place is typical of rural Pennsylvania. Expect to need a car to get
most places. I am not familiar with the Willamsport airport. The old
showroom was in Williamsport.

I do not think you would enjoy a bicycle ride between the airport and the
showroom.

Maybe you need to put out another message asking if any of the "wreckers"
are visiting and when. If I were going to drive the 100 miles, it would not
be a problem to drive another 7 miles to pick someone up.

Dave Paine.

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
No

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Barry - How are you going to get that new tablesaw/jointer/bandsaw/planer,
whatever, big iron into your little private plane? For that matter how will
you get it on the back of your bike?!?!?!

Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y

No wrote:

Barry - How are you going to get that new tablesaw/jointer/bandsaw/planer,
whatever, big iron into your little private plane? For that matter how will
you get it on the back of your bike?!?!?!

It's simply a recon mission.

I would like to get some eyes-on experience with the stuff for future
purchases. Several times in the past, I've thought about Grizzly tools,
but as a touchy-feely type of guy, I passed. Down the road, I'm
probably going to buy a drum sander, so that's my main focus. While I
can get plenty of information here, varying expectations and experience
levels usually get me to seek out first hand knowledge on large purchases.

Not to mention, "Any excuse to fly"...
Posted to rec.woodworking
GeeDubb

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
.. .
No wrote:

Barry - How are you going to get that new
tablesaw/jointer/bandsaw/planer, whatever, big iron into your little
private plane? For that matter how will you get it on the back of your
bike?!?!?!

It's simply a recon mission.

I would like to get some eyes-on experience with the stuff for future
purchases. Several times in the past, I've thought about Grizzly tools,
but as a touchy-feely type of guy, I passed. Down the road, I'm probably
going to buy a drum sander, so that's my main focus. While I can get
plenty of information here, varying expectations and experience levels
usually get me to seek out first hand knowledge on large purchases.

Not to mention, "Any excuse to fly"...

Barry, are you still bombing the downhill on the bike?

Gary

Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y

GeeDubb wrote:

Barry, are you still bombing the downhill on the bike?

Yup. In fact, I picked up my first-ever, tubeless flat this past
weekend, in three years of using them.

I've never been a _true_ downhiller though, more like a picker and
chooser while heading downhill. That real downhill race stuff is
dangerous! G

Standing next to the course during pro races @ Mt. Snow, I've seen some
crashes that would curl your hair.
Posted to rec.woodworking
GeeDubb

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
. ..
GeeDubb wrote:

Barry, are you still bombing the downhill on the bike?

Yup. In fact, I picked up my first-ever, tubeless flat this past weekend,
in three years of using them.

I've never been a _true_ downhiller though, more like a picker and chooser
while heading downhill. That real downhill race stuff is dangerous! G

Standing next to the course during pro races @ Mt. Snow, I've seen some
crashes that would curl your hair.

How come you don't post to amb anymore?

Gary