Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Truitt

Default metal trim added to woodwork

I'm considering trying some copper angle mixed with oak plywood just to
cover the edges and provide something a bit different.

Does anyone have any experience, advice, or sources for thin metals that
would blend well with woodwork?

Thanks.

Ron T

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe

"Ron Truitt" wrote in message
I'm considering trying some copper angle mixed with oak plywood just to
cover the edges and provide something a bit different.

Does anyone have any experience, advice, or sources for thin metals that
would blend well with woodwork?

Thanks.

Ron T

I did not see copper but T molding comes in metal finishes as well as
plastic
http://www.t-molding.com/cart/custom...&cat=20&page=1
Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Ron Truitt wrote:
I'm considering trying some copper angle mixed with oak plywood just to
cover the edges and provide something a bit different.

Does anyone have any experience, advice, or sources for thin metals that
would blend well with woodwork?

My favorite piece of woodworking of all time is mahogany with silver
inlay. Cherry and stainless is nice. I've also used copper and oak.
I wanted a metal dowel shape on one piece so I used 1/2" plumbing
copper as one of the, ahem, elements. It coordinated nicely. I used
Scotchbrite to clean up the copper, make it nice and shiny and remove
the printing. As the copper patinated over time it still looked great.
Got a lot of compliments on that one. I was concerned that the
tannins in the oak might do something funky with the copper, stain the
oak or whatever, but it never happened.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have an old "antique" chest that I got from a friend of mine that
inherited a house full of old furniture that I am restoring. It is
literally about 80 - 90 years old.

It was made from cedar and is made to be a blanket chest.

On all four vertical corners there were brass 2"X2" angles installed
with little tiny brass screws.
Didn't really like the style, but after cleaning up the cedar and
metal, they look great together.

I buffed out the metal with tripoli to get off the crud and took it all
the way down to jeweler's rouge. I cleaned off the pieces with lacquer
thinner, and will probably lacquer them with some musical instrument
lacquer.

The shiny metal and the red/blond wood look so good together I am
thinking of making a matching piece since this may now become a coffee
table.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

SFWIW, if you need to clean, copper, brass, bronze, etc, think Brasso.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
professorpaul

I've had very good results with something called Simichrome. Got it in
a motorcycle/auto parts store. Good for any non-ferros metal.

Metal Roofing ptgoodman Home Repair 7 July 13th 06 02:47 AM
Does polishing one or both surfaces reduce metal to metal friction? SA Development Metalworking 5 June 7th 05 01:19 AM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Inexpensive Trim Options? HerHusband Woodworking 8 January 20th 04 06:40 PM
Drywall screws for metal studs prone to strip, please help. andy everett Home Repair 2 August 23rd 03 07:10 PM