Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Schubach

Default Will heat loosen veneer?

I have an old cedar chest that a friend asked me to look at for her. Years
ago, someone in her family decided they didn't like the cedar, so they put
walnut veneer over it all. Sometime after that, someone else decided they
didn't like walnut, so they antiqued it ( ugly white paint ). Now, some of
the veneer is coming loose, and she's asked me to see what I can do with it.
I'd like to get it down to the original cedar, and put a nice finish on it,
but am not sure how to get the rest of the veneer off.

Some of it has already been pulled off, but some of it is stuck pretty good.
I was wondering if some heat and a putty knife, gently used, would loosen up
the rest of veneer.

I don't know how old the glue is, or what kind was used - neither does she.
Any pointers would be appreciated.

TIA,
Tim

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Tim Schubach
wrote:

Some of it has already been pulled off, but some of it is stuck pretty good.
I was wondering if some heat and a putty knife, gently used, would loosen up
the rest of veneer.

I don't know how old the glue is, or what kind was used - neither does she.
Any pointers would be appreciated.

I've had good luck with heat loosening any number of glue applications.
It's sure worth a try, and I think likely to succeed.
Posted to rec.woodworking
PopS

Heat gun, heat an already broken area, see what it feels like.
Doesn't sound like rocket science, really. Trial and error's
about all you got with no data like your case.

Pop

"Tim Schubach" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

PopS wrote:
Heat gun, heat an already broken area, see what it feels like.
Doesn't sound like rocket science, really. Trial and error's
about all you got with no data like your case.

Yes, or possibly also an iron.

Keep in mind that the heat may produce some toxic fumes too.

Lead Oxide, common in old paints, readily volotolizes and can then
contaminate whatever is nearby, like you.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny

Heating the veneer, but not hot, hot, will soften the glue, allowing
you to peal it off. You may not need the putty knife as much as you
think. Using a clothes iron will work also, but place a cloth over the
veneer when using an iron.

If you ever have a piece of furniture where the veneer has buckled up,
or bubbled up, heat the area (softening the glue), clamp the veneer
back down and allow the glue to dry again, hence veneer repair. A slow
heating (any heat source) is recommended, and pay attention to your
finish. Too much heat may affect the finish. As long as there is glue
still under the veneer, this repair will work, otherwise, injecting a
tad more glue into the cavity will need to be done.

Sonny