Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Revised Router Question

I need to dado a 3/4" width and 3/8" depth in oak plywood. I will be
using a 3/4" carbide tip straight bit with a 1/2" shank. Can I do this
in one pass? What speed should I set my router?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

wrote in message
ups.com...

I need to dado a 3/4" width and 3/8" depth in oak plywood. I will be
using a 3/4" carbide tip straight bit with a 1/2" shank. Can I do this
in one pass? What speed should I set my router?

I've routed 3/4 X 3/8 deep in one pass many times. My router is a DeWalt
618. I've left mine on the highest speed and plowed through as the router
would take it. I've also done it in two passes. I guess it depended on how
much of a hurry I thought I was in or if I was feeling gutsy or something.

Try a scrap. If it does not route through well then reduce the depth of cut
and do it in two passes. If you're really concerned about router speed -
read your manual. What does it suggest? What does it suggest for depth of
cut?

Both of these questions can well be answered by the information found in
most router manuals. It does pay to read the manual.

--

-Mike-

Router Question Edward Jubb Woodworking 17 November 14th 05 07:47 PM
Question about router bits Palmer Woodworking 3 February 8th 05 12:56 PM
Router Question buck Woodworking 11 September 15th 04 01:09 AM
An Ultimate Router Table - Part I: A Short Story Unisaw A100 Woodworking 15 August 4th 04 10:43 PM
Question about using a router PoP UK diy 6 January 5th 04 01:20 PM