Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Delta Sawbuck question

When the Delta Sawbuck came out quite a few years ago, I thought it was
a pretty
cool design. At the time, however, I couldn't afford one, and never
had the occasion
to try one out. Now I see that they are no longer being made. Were
there flaws in
the tool that made it lose popularity or just what happened? The
concept is intriguing,
a tool that combines the features of a mitre box and radial arm saw, if
I have it right.

Posted to rec.woodworking
ATP*

" wrote in message
oups.com...
When the Delta Sawbuck came out quite a few years ago, I thought it was
a pretty
cool design. At the time, however, I couldn't afford one, and never
had the occasion
to try one out. Now I see that they are no longer being made. Were
there flaws in
the tool that made it lose popularity or just what happened? The
concept is intriguing,
a tool that combines the features of a mitre box and radial arm saw, if
I have it right.

But that was before sliding mitre saws were available.

Posted to rec.woodworking
cm

Ya can still get one on ebay:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...buck&category0

cm

" wrote in message
oups.com...
When the Delta Sawbuck came out quite a few years ago, I thought it was
a pretty
cool design. At the time, however, I couldn't afford one, and never
had the occasion
to try one out. Now I see that they are no longer being made. Were
there flaws in
the tool that made it lose popularity or just what happened? The
concept is intriguing,
a tool that combines the features of a mitre box and radial arm saw, if
I have it right.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...uck&category0=

Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny

I have one, with the solid table top, not the perforated top. I have
abused it often enough, but I take care of my tools. It has served me
well for, I suppose, 15 years. I think it is now just a touch out of
square at the moment, but I still use it on a regular basis, especially
when I am doing a project away from the established shop. I always
wondered why Delta didn't orignally mount a 10" saw on this stand.
Yep, the sliding miters upstaged the sawbuck. I've never had to
replace or repair any pieces or parts (other than blade). Everything
is still in good working order.

On another topic, I went to a State surplus auction in Baton Rouge this
past weekend to purchase 2 upholstery sewing machines. There was a
somewhat old large 3 phase Cincinnati table saw, a large 3 phase
Cincinnati band saw and a large 3 phase Cincinnati radial arm saw. I
didn't inspect for model numbers. Though they all looked to need some
cleaning, they looked very good and all the mechanisms worked with
minimum drag. The band saw was in the worst of physical shape. I didn't
need any of these tools, so I didn't bid on any of them. They would
have been nice impressive fixtures in anyone's shop. Lots of
bidders/guys, there, looking at them prior to the sale. The RA saw
went for $2100, the BS went for $300, and the TS went for $250. I am
still sick in the stomach for not bidding on these items. Surely, I
could have found a relative or friend that would have appreciated
having these major tools.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

On 16 Mar 2006 16:29:04 -0800, "
wrote:

When the Delta Sawbuck came out quite a few years ago, I thought it was
a pretty
cool design. At the time, however, I couldn't afford one, and never
had the occasion
to try one out. Now I see that they are no longer being made. Were
there flaws in
the tool that made it lose popularity or just what happened? The
concept is intriguing,
a tool that combines the features of a mitre box and radial arm saw, if
I have it right.

No flaws, it was a good tool and still in demand today. A great
contractors tool for outside finish and siding and precise enough for
inside trim. The Sawbuck was discontinued because although the volume
was steady, it was low enough that both the motor supplier and the
supplier of the fixed and rotating tables (the sheet molded compound
tables) did not want to fool with it. Raised the component price
exhorbitantly or forced the carrying of a years worth of inventory.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

No flaws, it was a good tool and still in demand today. A great
contractors tool for outside finish and siding and precise enough for
inside trim. The Sawbuck was discontinued because although the volume
was steady, it was low enough that both the motor supplier and the
supplier of the fixed and rotating tables (the sheet molded compound
tables) did not want to fool with it. Raised the component price
exhorbitantly or forced the carrying of a years worth of inventory.

The thing about the sawbuck that turned me on was that it could
crosscut a much wider board. Maybe it has been phased out
by the sliders, but can any one of them cut a 16" wide board or
piece of plywood? I'm lucky to have a long-standing friendship
with the owners of a high quality custom millwork shop and
whenever I need to work on one of my own commercial projects
there, I can. They have a beautiful Omga radial saw that will
crosscut a full 24", and talk about a timesaver! I've often thought
that a light, portable unit along the lines of the sawbuck could be
made to have the same capicity. A tool like that would have almost
the same impact on the small woodworking shop that the portable
planer has, in my opinion.
What new woodworking tool designs would you like to see on
the market? Good topic. I'd have to say:
1. Deep cut Sawbuck.
2. 3/8" right angle hammer drill.