Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Arhelger

Default What type of lacquer for spraying?

What type/brand of lacquer do you use for spraying and where do you get it? Menards has a
couple types of brushing lacquer. As I understand it brushing lacquer is thicker and would
need to be thinned more. Maybe not a big deal. Does anybody make a lacquer for spraying
that would be thinner? I checked the Sherwin-Williams web page and they have 6 different
types of lacquers, which one would I use for a clock I am making?

Andy Arhelger
Posted to rec.woodworking
LP

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:59:39 -0600, Andy Arhelger
wrote:

What type/brand of lacquer do you use for spraying and where do you get it? Menards has a
couple types of brushing lacquer. As I understand it brushing lacquer is thicker and would
need to be thinned more. Maybe not a big deal. Does anybody make a lacquer for spraying
that would be thinner? I checked the Sherwin-Williams web page and they have 6 different
types of lacquers, which one would I use for a clock I am making?

What you want is Ultima Spray Lacquer from Target Coatings.

http://www.targetcoatings.com/produc...pray_lacq.html

Waterborne, easy thinning & cleanup, fast drying, no clogging when
sanded. Its also water-clear, but tintable.
Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y

Andy Arhelger wrote:
What type/brand of lacquer do you use for spraying and where do you get
it? Menards has a couple types of brushing lacquer.

I use H. Behlen or Mohawk Nitrocellulose Lacquer.

Ask at a good local paint store, as Parks is another fine brand, and
it's often sold in paint stores.
Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

wrote:

What type/brand of lacquer do you use for spraying and where do you get
it? Menards has a
couple types of brushing lacquer. As I understand it brushing lacquer is
thicker and would
need to be thinned more. Maybe not a big deal. Does anybody make a lacquer
for spraying
that would be thinner? I checked the Sherwin-Williams web page and they
have 6 different
types of lacquers, which one would I use for a clock I am making?

What you want is Ultima Spray Lacquer from Target Coatings.

http://www.targetcoatings.com/produc...pray_lacq.html

Waterborne, easy thinning & cleanup, fast drying, no clogging when
sanded. Its also water-clear, but tintable.

I just received mine from Homestead Finishing. This will be my first foray
into spraying. I was reading the booklet they send with the gun and from
what I read a good starting point for something like lacquer is to thin it
50%. I'm curious what your experience has been. I'm going to start playing
with my new gun in the next day or so.

For the OP, as for Sherwin-Williams, if you were going to go that direction,
they make a pre-cat lacquer that you can get in 4 different gloss levels,
IIRC. I also seem to remember them recommending their vinyl sealer as a
first coat.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
LP

Default ATTN TODD: Thinning lacquer

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 13:04:32 -0600, "todd" wrote:

I just received mine from Homestead Finishing. This will be my first foray
into spraying. I was reading the booklet they send with the gun and from
what I read a good starting point for something like lacquer is to thin it
50%. I'm curious what your experience has been. I'm going to start playing
with my new gun in the next day or so.

Yes, Homestead adverttises as another source. I've never been able to
get them to answer their phone.

As for thinning:
I'm using an Accuspray turbine driven HVLP gun. Most waterborne
lacquers, even tho they appear thick, spray fine right out of the can.
I dont remember the exact number but I think Target recommends adding
a maximum of 10-20% water if thinning is necessary. They also have a
"flow out additive", which thins the product and retards drying
somewhat.

Thinning to 50% sounds like the older nitrocellulose lacquers shot
thru a high pressure gun. 50% with the waterborne finishes would be
way too much.

You didnt say what type of gun, however:
I have no actual experience with waterborne products and high pressure
guns, but if I had to do it that way, I'd start with the finish at
full strength and add water until it sprayed properly. You might also
need to go to a larger tip. A few minutes experimentation should get
you in the ball park.

Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

"LP" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 13:04:32 -0600, "todd" wrote:

I just received mine from Homestead Finishing. This will be my first
foray
into spraying. I was reading the booklet they send with the gun and from
what I read a good starting point for something like lacquer is to thin it
50%. I'm curious what your experience has been. I'm going to start
playing
with my new gun in the next day or so.

Yes, Homestead adverttises as another source. I've never been able to
get them to answer their phone.

I've called three times and gotten an answer three times.

As for thinning:
I'm using an Accuspray turbine driven HVLP gun. Most waterborne
lacquers, even tho they appear thick, spray fine right out of the can.
I dont remember the exact number but I think Target recommends adding
a maximum of 10-20% water if thinning is necessary. They also have a
"flow out additive", which thins the product and retards drying
somewhat.

Thinning to 50% sounds like the older nitrocellulose lacquers shot
thru a high pressure gun. 50% with the waterborne finishes would be
way too much.

Thanks for the info. I've just started reading and haven't even gotten to
the Target instructions yet.

You didnt say what type of gun, however:

I have a Walcom Slim-S, which is a compressor-fed HVLP.

I have no actual experience with waterborne products and high pressure
guns, but if I had to do it that way, I'd start with the finish at
full strength and add water until it sprayed properly. You might also
need to go to a larger tip. A few minutes experimentation should get
you in the ball park.

I expect it will take me a bit of experimentation to dial it in. Thanks
again.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Drackman

"LP" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 13:04:32 -0600, "todd" wrote:

I just received mine from Homestead Finishing. This will be my first
foray
into spraying. I was reading the booklet they send with the gun and from
what I read a good starting point for something like lacquer is to thin it
50%. I'm curious what your experience has been. I'm going to start
playing
with my new gun in the next day or so.

Yes, Homestead adverttises as another source. I've never been able to
get them to answer their phone.

I have always had great luck with Homestead and think that Jeff is the most
knowledgeable person I have ever met concerning finishing. He is a great
resource.

Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

"Frank Drackman" wrote in message

"LP" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 13:04:32 -0600, "todd" wrote:

I just received mine from Homestead Finishing. This will be my first
foray
into spraying. I was reading the booklet they send with the gun and from
what I read a good starting point for something like lacquer is to thin
it
50%. I'm curious what your experience has been. I'm going to start
playing
with my new gun in the next day or so.

Yes, Homestead adverttises as another source. I've never been able to
get them to answer their phone.

I have always had great luck with Homestead and think that Jeff is the
most knowledgeable person I have ever met concerning finishing. He is a
great resource.

That was a part of the reason I purchased the gun from him. I'm sure many,
if not most, of those here know who you're referring to, but for those who
don't, Frank is referring to Jeff Jewitt. Jeff is the author of several
books on the topic of finishing. I have his book _Hand Applied Finishes_.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Arhelger

Thanks for the pointer.

I bought this stuff and have one coat on so far. It was very easy to use, dried nice, no
runs, almost no fumes, very nice. I didn't need to thin it, used it as is. Next coat goes
on tonight. Am happy so far. If this works as good as I hope it will be my preferred
finish from now on.

wrote:

What type/brand of lacquer do you use for spraying and where do you get it? Menards has a
couple types of brushing lacquer. As I understand it brushing lacquer is thicker and would
need to be thinned more. Maybe not a big deal. Does anybody make a lacquer for spraying
that would be thinner? I checked the Sherwin-Williams web page and they have 6 different
types of lacquers, which one would I use for a clock I am making?

What you want is Ultima Spray Lacquer from Target Coatings.

http://www.targetcoatings.com/produc...pray_lacq.html

Waterborne, easy thinning & cleanup, fast drying, no clogging when
sanded. Its also water-clear, but tintable.

Posted to rec.woodworking
LP

wrote:

What type/brand of lacquer do you use for spraying and where do you get it? Menards has a
couple types of brushing lacquer. As I understand it brushing lacquer is thicker and would
need to be thinned more. Maybe not a big deal. Does anybody make a lacquer for spraying
that would be thinner? I checked the Sherwin-Williams web page and they have 6 different
types of lacquers, which one would I use for a clock I am making?

What you want is Ultima Spray Lacquer from Target Coatings.

http://www.targetcoatings.com/produc...pray_lacq.html

Waterborne, easy thinning & cleanup, fast drying, no clogging when
sanded. Its also water-clear, but tintable.

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I don't know of anyone who's ever
had anything bad to say about Target's lacquer.

As you get more into it, they have several other products that you
will find to be equally impressive.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Arhelger

I did look at their other products and some of them look very nice. Trouble is I couldn't
find a place locally to get it. I had to mail order it and ending up paying a lot for
shipping.

One problem I had was a fine dust that settled on the finish after spraying. I don't think
it was actually over spray because it happened on every item I sprayed. I believe there
was a fine lacquer dust in the air that settled on things. I could wipe the surface with
my hand after and I could see white dust on my hand. Probably my fault, but I am not sure
how to eliminate it. The last coat I put on seemed to be better but I an not sure why.

wrote:

What type/brand of lacquer do you use for spraying and where do you get it? Menards has a
couple types of brushing lacquer. As I understand it brushing lacquer is thicker and would
need to be thinned more. Maybe not a big deal. Does anybody make a lacquer for spraying
that would be thinner? I checked the Sherwin-Williams web page and they have 6 different
types of lacquers, which one would I use for a clock I am making?
What you want is Ultima Spray Lacquer from Target Coatings.

http://www.targetcoatings.com/produc...pray_lacq.html

Waterborne, easy thinning & cleanup, fast drying, no clogging when
sanded. Its also water-clear, but tintable.

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I don't know of anyone who's ever
had anything bad to say about Target's lacquer.

As you get more into it, they have several other products that you
will find to be equally impressive.

Posted to rec.woodworking
LP

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:17:23 -0800, Andy Arhelger
wrote:

I did look at their other products and some of them look very nice. Trouble is I couldn't
find a place locally to get it. I had to mail order it and ending up paying a lot for
shipping.

One problem I had was a fine dust that settled on the finish after spraying. I don't think
it was actually over spray because it happened on every item I sprayed. I believe there
was a fine lacquer dust in the air that settled on things. I could wipe the surface with
my hand after and I could see white dust on my hand. Probably my fault, but I am not sure
how to eliminate it. The last coat I put on seemed to be better but I an not sure why.

What are you using to spray with? That dust/mist in the air is very
uncharacteristic of HVLP so I'm guessing you're using either high
pressure or a high pressure conversion gun?
Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y

LP wrote:

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I don't know of anyone who's ever
had anything bad to say about Target's lacquer.

I have got to try that stuff...

Do you know who distributes it, so I can ask my local guys to get me some?
Posted to rec.woodworking
LP

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 13:09:52 GMT, B A R R Y wrote:

LP wrote:

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I don't know of anyone who's ever
had anything bad to say about Target's lacquer.

I have got to try that stuff...

Do you know who distributes it, so I can ask my local guys to get me some?

Off the top of my head Homestead Finishinging is another seller. If
you go to http://www.targetcoatings.com they have a rather short
distributors list.

I've always just dealt direct with Target. They use FEDEX which is
quite quick, and if FEDEX bends up your can Target will replace it
instantly no questions asked.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Arhelger

wrote:

I did look at their other products and some of them look very nice. Trouble is I couldn't
find a place locally to get it. I had to mail order it and ending up paying a lot for
shipping.

One problem I had was a fine dust that settled on the finish after spraying. I don't think
it was actually over spray because it happened on every item I sprayed. I believe there
was a fine lacquer dust in the air that settled on things. I could wipe the surface with
my hand after and I could see white dust on my hand. Probably my fault, but I am not sure
how to eliminate it. The last coat I put on seemed to be better but I an not sure why.

What are you using to spray with? That dust/mist in the air is very
uncharacteristic of HVLP so I'm guessing you're using either high
pressure or a high pressure conversion gun?

I am using an HVLP gun.

Posted to rec.woodworking
LP

wrote:

I did look at their other products and some of them look very nice. Trouble is I couldn't
find a place locally to get it. I had to mail order it and ending up paying a lot for
shipping.

One problem I had was a fine dust that settled on the finish after spraying. I don't think
it was actually over spray because it happened on every item I sprayed. I believe there
was a fine lacquer dust in the air that settled on things. I could wipe the surface with
my hand after and I could see white dust on my hand. Probably my fault, but I am not sure
how to eliminate it. The last coat I put on seemed to be better but I an not sure why.

What are you using to spray with? That dust/mist in the air is very
uncharacteristic of HVLP so I'm guessing you're using either high
pressure or a high pressure conversion gun?

I am using an HVLP gun.

Hmmm...since I dont know your shop I'm not sure what advice I might
offer here. when I said "That dust/mist in the air is very
uncharacteristic of HVLP" that wasnt entirely true as there will be
some amount, its just usually not much of a problem. What comes to
mind is that you need to somehow move the air in your spraying area.
Perhaps with an overhead air filter, or a simple floor fan (on low).
If you persevere you'll find ways to solve this and other problems
and, in the end, I think you'll be very happy with your finishes.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

wrote:

[...]

How big is your spray area Andy? If you are working in too small of an area
you will end up with a fog in the room and it will settle on your workpiece.
Even HVLP puts overspray into the room. A lot of people think HVLP means no
overspray but in reality it's usually more like 20%-30% less overspray than
a conventional gun, but still a factor to contend with. For smaller
pieces - even the size of normal furniture, that overspray may not be a big
problem, but for bigger things the overspray becomes quite noticeable.
That's why respirators are still required even for HVLP. If the stuff
wasn't in the air, you wouldn't need a respirator.

The nice part about lacquer is that you can buff it out and get rid of that
stuff. If your spray technique was good to start with and you have a nice
even coat on the piece, you can take a little rubbing compound and buff that
dust right out of the finish and back to a nice even, shiny finish.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Arhelger

My spray area is about 9x11. I have an exhaust fan (not super powerful) and a window this
is opened a bit. I am happy with the finish and was able to buff out (or simply wipe off)
the overspray. I was spraying a number of larger pieces so maybe the volume of the
workspace just wasn't large enough. And fan blowing out the window might help. I will try
to fine tune the procedure. I have a picture of the finished product I should post.

Andy Arhelger

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Arhelger

Here are some pictures:

http://webpages.charter.net/aarhelger/clock1.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/aarhelger/clock2.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/aarhelger/clock3.jpg

Andy Arhelger

My spray area is about 9x11. I have an exhaust fan (not super powerful)

and a window this
is opened a bit. I am happy with the finish and was able to buff out (or

simply wipe off)
the overspray. I was spraying a number of larger pieces so maybe the

volume of the
workspace just wasn't large enough. And fan blowing out the window might

help. I will try
to fine tune the procedure. I have a picture of the finished product I

should post.

Yeah - go ahead and post a picture in the binaries group. I'd like to see
what you produced.

9X11 is pretty small. It would be easy to fog an area that small. You
might want to take a quick look at how dry your fan is (your spray fan - not
your window fan). Maybe you're shooting just a bit too dry and creating
more fog than you need to. Or maybe you've got just a bit too much
pressure - also creating a bit more fog than you want. Often you can lay on
a wetter coat to overcome this kind of problem. Or - if it just wiped off,
you can do nothing and just keep shooting like you are. A dust that simply
wipes off is nothing to worry about.

I've painted complete cars in two bays of my garage with nothing more than a
24" box fan sealed under a partially opened overhead door, with no dusting
problems. I just stick the fan on the floor and lower the overhead door
down on it, and then seal the open space with plastic. Works very well to
exhaust the garage on the cheap. My garage is 26 feet deep but the area
that I drape in plastic to paint in, is about 22X23 or so, which makes it
about twice the size of the space you're working in. Then again, I'm
shooting a bunch more paint than you are also, and I don't usually shoot
HVLP. I'd stick the fan in your window, blowing out and I think you'll find
it helps evacuate the room a lot.