Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael Houghton

Default When the bandsaw goes Bang!

Howdy!

....you figure you just broke the blade...

....but you don't hear any sounds at all, not even the top wheel
spinning down and the bottom wheel roaring along...

Shut the power off.

Notice that the top wheel is potruding above the top shell.

WTF?

When the shaft that the bottom wheel rides on snapped at
the bearing, with the 3/4" blade on there, the tension on the
top wheel made it blow right through the top of the case.
Actually, it moved the cover out of the way...

Real exciting!

I just have to order a new shaft, nut, and blade guard...

yours,
Michael
| White Wolf and the Phoenix narrowwares
Bowie, MD, USA |
http://whitewolfandphoenix.com
Proud member of the SCA Internet Whitewash Squad
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Oh please, please, please, tell us what brand saw you are using.

"Michael Houghton" wrote in message
Howdy!

...you figure you just broke the blade...

...but you don't hear any sounds at all, not even the top wheel
spinning down and the bottom wheel roaring along...

Shut the power off.

Notice that the top wheel is potruding above the top shell.

WTF?

When the shaft that the bottom wheel rides on snapped at
the bearing, with the 3/4" blade on there, the tension on the
top wheel made it blow right through the top of the case.
Actually, it moved the cover out of the way...

Real exciting!

I just have to order a new shaft, nut, and blade guard...

yours,
Michael
| White Wolf and the Phoenix narrowwares
Bowie, MD, USA |
http://whitewolfandphoenix.com
Proud member of the SCA Internet Whitewash Squad

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Michael Houghton wrote:
Howdy!

...you figure you just broke the blade...

...but you don't hear any sounds at all, not even the top wheel
spinning down and the bottom wheel roaring along...

Shut the power off.

Notice that the top wheel is potruding above the top shell.

WTF?

When the shaft that the bottom wheel rides on snapped at
the bearing, with the 3/4" blade on there, the tension on the
top wheel made it blow right through the top of the case.
Actually, it moved the cover out of the way...

Real exciting!

I just have to order a new shaft, nut, and blade guard...

On other newsgroups it's considered good form to show pictures of the
gory details. It's cathartic for both those who sleep too well and
those who don't sleep well enough to think, "Damn. That coulda been
me...or my tool!"

Posted to rec.woodworking
Vic Baron

"Michael Houghton" wrote in message
Howdy!

...you figure you just broke the blade...

...but you don't hear any sounds at all, not even the top wheel
spinning down and the bottom wheel roaring along...

Shut the power off.

Notice that the top wheel is potruding above the top shell.

WTF?

When the shaft that the bottom wheel rides on snapped at
the bearing, with the 3/4" blade on there, the tension on the
top wheel made it blow right through the top of the case.
Actually, it moved the cover out of the way...

Real exciting!

I just have to order a new shaft, nut, and blade guard...

Doncha just HATE it when that happens?

Glad it was only the tool that was damaged.

Vic

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dhakala

Leon wrote:
Oh please, please, please, tell us what brand saw you are using.

Sounds like a Ryobi.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael Houghton

Howdy!

In article .com,
RicodJour wrote:

On other newsgroups it's considered good form to show pictures of the
gory details. It's cathartic for both those who sleep too well and
those who don't sleep well enough to think, "Damn. That coulda been
me...or my tool!"

Ya well...

It was a Grizzly, and all my parts are still attached...didn't even
have to change my shorts

Then there was the fun of getting the busted stub of the shaft out
of the bearings. There was absolutely nothing to grip to allow me
to actually remove the shaft nut, so I just drilled a hole in the
nut and broke it out. Then, the bearing on the inside just popped
out of the shaft mount, and freeing it from the shaft was another
exercise in oil, heat, and impulse...but I won.

yours,
Michael

| White Wolf and the Phoenix narrowwares
Bowie, MD, USA |
http://whitewolfandphoenix.com
Proud member of the SCA Internet Whitewash Squad
Posted to rec.woodworking
Richard Clements

Vic Baron wrote:

"Michael Houghton" wrote in message
Howdy!

...you figure you just broke the blade...

...but you don't hear any sounds at all, not even the top wheel
spinning down and the bottom wheel roaring along...

Shut the power off.

Notice that the top wheel is potruding above the top shell.

WTF?

When the shaft that the bottom wheel rides on snapped at
the bearing, with the 3/4" blade on there, the tension on the
top wheel made it blow right through the top of the case.
Actually, it moved the cover out of the way...

Real exciting!

I just have to order a new shaft, nut, and blade guard...

Doncha just HATE it when that happens?

Glad it was only the tool that was damaged.

Vic

my saw has something wrong with the top wheel, so the blade keeps sliding
off, first time it happend I would have needed to change my shorts but I
was puckered to the point I could have made a dimond. it's an old
Rockwell 10" not much of a saw, so haven't invested to much in getting it
fixed, most of the stuff I've made lately I havn't needed it, or was small
enough to use my jig saw.
--
if corn oil comes from corn,
and olive oil comes from olives