Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg D.

Default Lee Valley Router bit quality?

I'd like to know how you would rate the quality of the router bits Lee
Valley sells (the green ones). I use the Dimar ones and occasionally
some Freud and I'm very satisfied with them.

The problem with Dimar and Freud is they're darn expensive and aren't
easily "collectible" with bits ranging from 50$ to 125$, sometimes
more. On the other hand, I can't convice myself of buying those
cheapie sets of 66 bits for 80$ though.

The LV ones seems easier on the budget but are they up to the
requirements of a serious hobbyist?

Thanks for any opinions!

Greg D.
Posted to rec.woodworking
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Greg D." wrote in message
I'd like to know how you would rate the quality of the router bits Lee
Valley sells (the green ones). I use the Dimar ones and occasionally
some Freud and I'm very satisfied with them.

The problem with Dimar and Freud is they're darn expensive and aren't
easily "collectible" with bits ranging from 50$ to 125$, sometimes
more. On the other hand, I can't convice myself of buying those
cheapie sets of 66 bits for 80$ though.

The LV ones seems easier on the budget but are they up to the
requirements of a serious hobbyist?

Thanks for any opinions!

Greg D.

I've not owned any so hopefully someone with first hand knowledge will come
along. But if the $1k + worth of stuff I've bought from them over the past
few years is any indication, I'd say you probably can't go wrong.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tanus

Greg D. wrote:
I'd like to know how you would rate the quality of the router bits Lee
Valley sells (the green ones). I use the Dimar ones and occasionally
some Freud and I'm very satisfied with them.

The problem with Dimar and Freud is they're darn expensive and aren't
easily "collectible" with bits ranging from 50$ to 125$, sometimes
more. On the other hand, I can't convice myself of buying those
cheapie sets of 66 bits for 80$ though.

The LV ones seems easier on the budget but are they up to the
requirements of a serious hobbyist?

Thanks for any opinions!

Greg D.

I've bought 2 or 3 straight bits from LV, as well as a few of the
dovetail bits.

I'm re-entering the hobby again after a long hiatus. When I was doing
woodworking previously I bought cheaper bits (on a fairly regular basis
as I'm hard on bits)

I'm very pleased with the bits. Because I've got limited exposure to
the more expensive bits, I can't contrast with the likes of Freud.
However, I figure anyone who abuses bits like I do who can make the LV
bits last for as long as I have, has found something that is affordable
and has reasonable quality.

66 bits for $80 sounds too good to be true, and we all know what that
means.

Tanus

Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg D.

On 12 Mar 2006 16:27:32 -0800, "Tanus" wrote:

66 bits for $80 sounds too good to be true, and we all know what that
means.

I was at the Canadian Home Woodshop Show in Toronto last weekend and
believe it or not, I've seen such special. A huge aluminum box with 66
router bits with a 1/2" chank offered at 80$-89$ IRC.

They looked not bad at all. They were painted orange, the carbide
blades were thin but they were angled to help the cutting action. All
in all and even though I'm not a cheap stuff buyer, I kept telling
myself "How can I go wrong?". I finally decided to stick to my motto
"buy good stuff only" but was it the right decision?

Greg D.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale

"Greg D." wrote in message
I'd like to know how you would rate the quality of the router bits Lee
Valley sells (the green ones). I use the Dimar ones and occasionally
some Freud and I'm very satisfied with them.

A half dozen or so router bits that I own came from Lee Valley Tools and
they're all still working fine after 10 years. That includes the rail and
stile bits I bought over 15 years ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Greg D." wrote in message
The LV ones seems easier on the budget but are they up to the
requirements of a serious hobbyist?

Thanks for any opinions!

They work for me. I have a few of them and they are still cutting just
fine. I've not done any side by side testing with other brand, nor do I
intend to, but they do the job. I'll order more as I need them.