Posted to rec.woodworking
brianlanning

Default more compressor questions

My monster compressor arrived yesterday. I admit that I haven't
totally read the manual yet.

I need a globe valve, dryer, filter, and pressure regulator. Can
anyone suggest an all-in-one unit?

I'm a bit concerned with getting the right fittings. The threading in
the air outlet looks a little more coarse than what I remember about
the threading on regular black pipe.

The manual also shows a short section of flex hose between the
compressor and the rest of the air distribution system. Is this sort
of thing at home depot? I don't remember seeing it. Maybe you have to
make this from compression fittings and a section of hose? What should
I be looking for?

Also, it's a 6 horse motor. Is a 20 amp 220 line with 12 gauge wire
enough? I'm getting the feeling that I need to go to 30 amp and fatter
wire.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking
brianlanning

Also, it's a 6 horse motor. Is a 20 amp 220 line with 12 gauge wire
enough? I'm getting the feeling that I need to go to 30 amp and fatter
wire.

Never mind this one. I looked again, the manual says 30 amps. So #10
it is.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod

On 9 Mar 2006 11:47:42 -0800, "brianlanning"
wrote:

My monster compressor arrived yesterday. I admit that I haven't
totally read the manual yet.

I'm a bit concerned with getting the right fittings. The threading in
the air outlet looks a little more coarse than what I remember about
the threading on regular black pipe.

I can't imagine it would be anything other than 1/4" NPT unless it was
3/8" NPT. Gotta be one or the other.

The manual also shows a short section of flex hose between the
compressor and the rest of the air distribution system. Is this sort
of thing at home depot? I don't remember seeing it. Maybe you have to
make this from compression fittings and a section of hose? What should
I be looking for?

I'm not sure if I remember correctly what they call that--a whip? I
don't think it's going to be found at the borg. Didn't you say you
lived near Da City? Go out to Berlands and see if they have anything.
See if there's anything in wolley segap (anyone remember those ads?)
about compressor or air supply stores and check one of them. Is J.C.
Whitney still on South State? Might check there, too.

Also, it's a 6 horse motor. Is a 20 amp 220 line with 12 gauge wire
enough? I'm getting the feeling that I need to go to 30 amp and fatter
wire.

Don't get too excited about that 6HP unless you bought an
Ingersoll-Rand. Look at the motor label and see what FLA is. If it's
greater than 20A (@240V), then you might need the 30A line. But I
doubt it will. As long as it doesn't, your 20A line will be fine.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking
DJ Delorie

LRod writes:
I'm not sure if I remember correctly what they call that--a whip? I
don't think it's going to be found at the borg. Didn't you say you
lived near Da City? Go out to Berlands and see if they have anything.
See if there's anything in wolley segap (anyone remember those ads?)
about compressor or air supply stores and check one of them. Is J.C.
Whitney still on South State? Might check there, too.

I get my hydraulic hoses at a local auto parts store; they might have
air hoses too. Welding supply stores might know where to get gas
hoses, same place would have air rated hoses too.
Posted to rec.woodworking
brianlanning

I can't imagine it would be anything other than 1/4" NPT unless it was
3/8" NPT. Gotta be one or the other.

wow, guess we found a big hole in my tool knowledge. what is this?
does it describe the thread pitch or something? Is it the same
threading that the borg will put on black pipe for you, like for pipe
clamps?

Don't get too excited about that 6HP unless you bought an
Ingersoll-Rand.

It's porter cable which is certainly made by someone else. I heard
that devilbiss made their compressors for them. I'd be surprised if it
wasn't chinese.

I've seen 6hp "running" and 7.5hp "peek" whatever that means. I found
the manual online after I posted. It says 30 amps though so the 6hp
number is probably close to reality.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"brianlanning" wrote in message
oups.com...
My monster compressor arrived yesterday. I admit that I haven't
totally read the manual yet.

I need a globe valve, dryer, filter, and pressure regulator. Can
anyone suggest an all-in-one unit?

You just build this stuff up. You wouldn't want an all in one. Your
drains should go at the tank, and at the remote connection points. Your
dryer should go at the connection points. Your regulator can go anyplace
that's convenient. Do a little internet research and you'll find a ton of
drawings showing different layouts for air lines and all of the associated
parts. Your owner's manual may even have some drawings in it. It pays to
look first.

I'm a bit concerned with getting the right fittings. The threading in
the air outlet looks a little more coarse than what I remember about
the threading on regular black pipe.

Standard pipe fitting.

The manual also shows a short section of flex hose between the
compressor and the rest of the air distribution system. Is this sort
of thing at home depot? I don't remember seeing it. Maybe you have to
make this from compression fittings and a section of hose? What should
I be looking for?

You can find short lengths of pre-made pressure line everywhere. Harbor
Freight carrys them, as do most of the places that carry air line.

Also, it's a 6 horse motor. Is a 20 amp 220 line with 12 gauge wire
enough? I'm getting the feeling that I need to go to 30 amp and fatter
wire.

What does your manual say you need for a line? If it says 20A then 12 guage
wire is sufficient. If it calls for a 30A circuit, then you'll need 10
guage wire.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod

On 9 Mar 2006 13:30:44 -0800, "brianlanning"
wrote:

I can't imagine it would be anything other than 1/4" NPT unless it was
3/8" NPT. Gotta be one or the other.

wow, guess we found a big hole in my tool knowledge. what is this?
does it describe the thread pitch or something? Is it the same
threading that the borg will put on black pipe for you, like for pipe
clamps?

National Pipe Thread.

It's a standard thread (tapered), obviously for pipe. Standard, like
SAE or NF (National Fine) and NC (National Coarse) are standard
threads.

Yes, if you ask the borg to thread pipe, it will be threaded NPT.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Seeker

Here are some options starting from most costly to least:

http://www.tptools.com/product.asp?b...4H66Q UQ02KRF

http://www.tptools.com/product.asp?b...4H66Q UQ02KRF

http://www.tptools.com/product.asp?b...4H66Q UQ02KRF

http://www.tptools.com/product.asp?b...AB4H66QUQ02KRF

And many more combinations, I just ordered the 1/2" coalescing air
filter and an extra cartridge.
Posted to rec.woodworking
brianlanning

National Pipe Thread.
It's a standard thread (tapered), obviously for pipe. Standard, like
SAE or NF (National Fine) and NC (National Coarse) are standard threads.
Yes, if you ask the borg to thread pipe, it will be threaded NPT.

Thanks. It was a lot clearer when I was looking at all the accessories
at the borg.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking
brianlanning

For now, I wasn't going to put a drain in. The run is so short, like a
three feet, that I doubt it will help much. The drain on the gun
sounds like the way to go.

Likely you
also received rubber pads for isolation with your compressor. If not, get
some 1/4" rubber about 6"X6" and put them under the legs of your compressor.
You'll be amazed at how that quiets down the hammering that transfers
through the compressor to the floor and rings within the tank.

Not only did it not include them, the manual has some very specific
instructions for bolting it to the floor complete with drawings, type
of expansion bolt for the concrete, and torque specs for the lag
screws. The manual says that if you don't bolt it to the floor,
excessive vibration will cause the tank to weaken and possibly explode.
This sort of things frightens and annoys me. It sounds like they took
some engineering shortcuts and passed the problem on to the user.
Still, the ringing tank sounds like exactly the type of vibration that
would cause metal fatigue or whatever weaking they're talking about.
Maybe a call to porter cable tech support is in order.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking
brianlanning

I've never so much as heard
of a compressor exploding from this.

Yeah, considering how much mileage we've gotten out of the grounding
your dust collection pipes thing, I think the rec would be all over
that one.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking
Carl Stigers

As a matter of fact I service air compressors for a living. I can attest to
the fact that a compressor bolted to the floor without anti-vibration pads
is a warranty voider with all manufactures. Some where at the shop we have
pictures of a failed receiver that was bolted to the floor and the weld
snapped at the leg. It bowed a concrete block wall out almost 16" and bent
the i-beam header almost 9"

We will not service nor will we pressurize a tank with a failing weld in it.
By the ay PVC piping is a code violation in all 50 states. It may not be
used for pressurised air systems as the oils in the compressor breaks down
the PVC and the glue. A severe schrapnel hazard when that stuff goes. It
is not pretty either.

I also did warranty work for Champion Air Compressors and Gardner Denver
they also void a warranty for no vibration pads

Carl Stigers
Northeast Compressor Center
Atlas Copco