Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

Default Undersized plywood slot cutters

Within the past few days, I was reading *somewhere* about someone offering
new slot cutters that were undersize for plywood. And I don't mean 1/32
undersize as has traditionally been the case. These were undersize (in two
different sizes, IIRC) for the *real* amount that plywood these days is
undersize. However, I can't remember what I was looking at when I saw them.
Has anyone else seen this recently?

I'm attempting to retrofit a rail and stile set with a new slot cutter that
will work better with the plywood that is available locally. I stopped by
the yard (Owl Hardwood in Lombard) and measured the 1/4" maple ply. This
probably isn't news to most, but it measured between 0.185-0.190 on the
three sheets that I sampled. That's 3/16" plus or minus a few thousandths.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

These were undersize (in two different sizes, IIRC) for the *real* amount that plywood these days is undersize. However, I can't remember what I was looking at when I saw them. Has anyone else seen this recently?

Yes, I remember reading about the same thing - I think I might have
seen it in a flyer from Infinity tools. After checking their website,
they have slotting cutters in 5.5mm, 5.9mm, 5/32", and 3/16". Amazon
also has a 3/16" slot cutter by Freud, but I think Infinity might have
been advertising theirs to go with a rail & stile set.
Hope this helps,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article .com,
"Andy" wrote:

These were undersize (in two different sizes, IIRC) for the *real* amount
that plywood these days is undersize. However, I can't remember what I was
looking at when I saw them. Has anyone else seen this recently?

Yes, I remember reading about the same thing - I think I might have
seen it in a flyer from Infinity tools. After checking their website,
they have slotting cutters in 5.5mm, 5.9mm, 5/32", and 3/16". Amazon
also has a 3/16" slot cutter by Freud, but I think Infinity might have
been advertising theirs to go with a rail & stile set.
Hope this helps,
Andy

These are good people to deal with. Prices are competitive.

http://tinyurl.com/h6cy4

To the countertop professionals, they're Lee Valley...on steroids.
Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
These were undersize (in two different sizes, IIRC) for the *real* amount
that plywood these days is undersize. However, I can't remember what I
was looking at when I saw them. Has anyone else seen this recently?

Yes, I remember reading about the same thing - I think I might have
seen it in a flyer from Infinity tools. After checking their website,
they have slotting cutters in 5.5mm, 5.9mm, 5/32", and 3/16". Amazon
also has a 3/16" slot cutter by Freud, but I think Infinity might have
been advertising theirs to go with a rail & stile set.
Hope this helps,
Andy

When you said Infinity, that rang a bell. I subscribe to their mailing list
and found an email from them on this topic. Here's the link they refer to
http://www.infinitytools.com/products.asp?dept=1302. They sell a tongue and
groove cutter set that cuts either a 5.5mm or a 5.9mm groove. The 5.5mm
works out to right about 7/32", which is the size I already have in my rail
and stile set (which is too big for the ply that's available). I ran across
a 5.2mm slot cutter from MLCS. The only tricky part now is that I need to
find one that matches the outside diameter of the existing slot cutter
(1.75").

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

the 1/4" birch plywood I've been working with from HD in Toronto is ~.220".

Posted to rec.woodworking
brianlanning

Amana makes a slot cutter that's adjustable. You loosen this nut, then
turn the dial like a dial-a-dado. It was about $100 iirc.

brian