Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shopvac pressure release valve?

I built a router table extension for my table saw. Upon using it, I
noticed that non-though dados were a problem as far as dust collection
was concerned. And I want to do a lot of non-through dados in the
middle of panels. So... I found a web site:

http://www.oak-park.com/usa12.html

where they had a vac-plate with a couple of holes in the plate for dust
extraction. I decided to drill a 1.25" hole in my top, about 10" to
the left of my bit, and put a Rockler dust port on the bottom of the
table. Now, non-through cuts toss the dust right at the hole in the
top and the dust is extracted. The problem is, when the material
covers the hole, the vac starts working pretty hard (because the port
is mostly obstructed), and begins to work as a very effective
hold-down.

Any ideas on a way to add a vac pressure release somehow? Is there
anything made for something like this that doesn't cost an arm and a
leg?

I thought of actually adding yet another hole and dust port, and some
sort of Y- or T-fitting. So when one hole is covered, the other is
open. Problem is, that would start to add quite a bit of "crap" under
the table that I don't know if I have room for.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks!
Phil

Thanks!
Phil

Posted to rec.woodworking

You are a wealth of information, I think I will probably implement your
suggestion. I'm still considering a down-draft enclosure as a possible
alternative. I think I can squeeze one underneath, but I have doubts
about how well it would work, and I'm not sure how I would mount it.

Thanks!
Phil

Posted to rec.woodworking

Certainly the larger the dado the less hold-down I get. I like the
idea of routing a T to the edge of the table (above). And I'm still
pondering a down-draft table.

Thanks!
Phil

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom H

Rather than a fitting to each hole, consider boxing in the router with a vac
connected to the box.
Also you may want to make the holes into a rectangles.
Mine are 1 5/8 x 1 3/16 and I have never had a problem with them blocking
up.
See pics at:

http://www.woodworking.org/photo/dis...um=20311&pos=6

http://www.woodworking.org/photo/dis...um=20311&pos=7

http://www.woodworking.org/photo/dis...um=20311&pos=8

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On 1 Mar 2006 16:29:04 -0800, "tom" wrote:

WRT your "non-through" dado, I've never heard of a "through
dado"(insert smiley-face here). One would think that there's a route
for air to flow along the newly cut dado, though. Tom

Just a WAG, but maybe it's a dado that doesn't reach the edges of the stock?

Maybe it would be a "blind dado"?? *lol*
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking
DT

Ridgid makes a connector/handle that has an adjustable port on it. You twist a
sleeve to progressively open the port to adjust vacuum level. It should ft any
2 1/2" hose. You can get them at Home Depot for ten bucks, here is a link to
the Ridgid web site that shows the part:

http://www.ridgidparts.com/accessories/VT2505.phtml

Dennis

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

I wrote:WRT your "non-through" dado, I've never heard of a "through
dado"(insert smiley-face here). One would think that there's a route
for air to flow along the newly cut dado, though. Tom

So Mac wrote:Just a WAG, but maybe it's a dado that doesn't reach the
edges of the stock?
Maybe it would be a "blind dado"?? *lol*

Ahh, or a "stopped" dado? Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron

Any ideas on a way to add a vac pressure release somehow? Is there
anything made for something like this that doesn't cost an arm and a
leg?

I thought of actually adding yet another hole and dust port, and some
sort of Y- or T-fitting. So when one hole is covered, the other is
open. Problem is, that would start to add quite a bit of "crap" under
the table that I don't know if I have room for.

Have you considered drilling another hole in the top of the table, directly
left of the router bit.
Keeping the centerlines matched up. Once the board with the dado passes
over it that should
allow air to flow thru, thus releasing the

One note though, I've noticed that when cutting dados with a 1/4 straight
bit it does
tend to leave the saw dust packed in pretty, usually need a screwdriver to
clean it out.
Maybe, consider a spiral cut bit also.

Ron