Posted to rec.woodworking
Zephod100

Default Shaping Question

Using simple hand tools or hand-held power tools what is the best way
to transform a piece of 1/4" x 1" stock in to a triangular section with
a base of 1/4". I have not had any luck in coming up with a jig might
accomplish the effectively.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Zephod100 wrote:
Using simple hand tools or hand-held power tools what is the best way
to transform a piece of 1/4" x 1" stock in to a triangular section
with a base of 1/4". I have not had any luck in coming up with a jig
might accomplish the effectively.

Isosceles triangle? You could use a router with a bit that will cut 1"
wide or more by attaching a spacer to one side of the router base so
that the bit is canted by 1/8". Be a bit fussy and needs two passes but
could be done. I've done similar when I want mortices that aren't
perpendicular to the top surface.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Zephod100

Yes, an Isosceles triangle.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

Zephod100 wrote:
Using simple hand tools or hand-held power tools what is the best way
to transform a piece of 1/4" x 1" stock in to a triangular section with
a base of 1/4". I have not had any luck in coming up with a jig might
accomplish the effectively.

How long is the piece? That might affect the feasability of various ideas.

What about starting with a much wider piece, then doing an angled rip,
flipping the board end for end and doing another angled rip tilted the
other way?

Tilted base for router table?
hand (or power) plane?

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
Zephod100

The piece is 24" long

I have a router table, I don't have a table or band saw to do an angled
rip. My thoughts were more router or hand plane based. I will have to
look at the tilting the base on the router table.

Posted to rec.woodworking
JeffB

Temporarily fasten you 1x1x24 inch stock right on the edge of a larger base
piece of wood - say 6x24 - using carpet tape, hot glue, screws, or ??? You can
then easily hold your stock to hand plane it to the desired profile, then flip
it around to get the other side. I'm sure you could also figure out how to tip
the base to use a router table - if you have a bit with a cutting edge longer
than 1", and a jointer type split fence on your router table.
--
JeffB
remove no.spam. to email

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM