Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

Default Plans for a stand-alone single saddle rack?

A web search turned up a couple of pics (this one's a beaut:
http://www.lynchcustomwoodworking.com/mapmah%20saddle%20rack.htm),
but no plans per se. Can anyone point me in a fruitful direction?

Pay is fine, so is free.

If I was building one I wouldn't be asking, but this is for a colleague
who's about 2,000 klicks away.

T'nx

djb

--
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Mark Twain.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

Never mind, I found one that she likes.

djb

--
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Mark Twain.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The Dave Balderstone entity posted thusly:

Never mind, I found one that she likes.

Do tell! I am going to need a few in the spring.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Oleg Lego
wrote:

Do tell! I am going to need a few in the spring.

http://www.lynchcustomwoodworking.com/Custom_work.htm

Third down the page.

djb

--
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Mark Twain.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

"Dave Balderstone" wrote

In article , Oleg Lego
wrote:

Do tell! I am going to need a few in the spring.

http://www.lynchcustomwoodworking.com/Custom_work.htm

Third down the page.

Looks nice David. Are you going to make something similar, the same or
radically different than the one shown on the page above?

I haven't seen any that nice before. Most of the sadfdle racks I have seen
had been made from poles in the old, rustic western pole construction model.
Would such a narrow saddle rack tip over if you were to throw a saddle on it
or take it off?

Posted to rec.woodworking
eric

Shouldn't be a problem. Typically you set the saddle down on top and lift it
up the same way - keeps the stirrups and riggin from hanging. I use the fold
up racks and I don't think they are any wider at the base than the one in
the picture.

Might make one of these except a little narrower. If it tips over easily it
should dissuade the kids from riding the saddle when it's on the rack ;^)

\e

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
news

"Dave Balderstone" wrote

In article , Oleg Lego
wrote:

Do tell! I am going to need a few in the spring.

http://www.lynchcustomwoodworking.com/Custom_work.htm

Third down the page.

Looks nice David. Are you going to make something similar, the same or
radically different than the one shown on the page above?

I haven't seen any that nice before. Most of the sadfdle racks I have seen
had been made from poles in the old, rustic western pole construction
model. Would such a narrow saddle rack tip over if you were to throw a
saddle on it or take it off?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Do tell! I am going to need a few in the spring.

http://www.lynchcustomwoodworking.com/Custom_work.htm

Third down the page.

Thanks. Looks real nice. I am still debating whether to do a
standalone or build some into the wall.

Posted to rec.woodworking
AlohaCliff

So did you find any plans? I like the one in the picture you had a
link to, but I'm curious how high the center piece extends above the
rest of the body.

Cliff

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article . com,
AlohaCliff wrote:

So did you find any plans?

No. Once my colleague said the pic was enough, I stopped looking.

--
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Mark Twain.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Josh

Depends on your saddle. I think 2.5" is pretty standard, but your best
bet would be to measure your horse at his withers, and then just behind
his withers. If your saddle fits him make the rack to match.

Josh

AlohaCliff wrote:
So did you find any plans? I like the one in the picture you had a
link to, but I'm curious how high the center piece extends above the
rest of the body.

Cliff

Posted to rec.woodworking
DanG

I made one for a good friend who rides hunter-jumpers. It is a
little different. We call it the "horse of a different color".
She thinks we should maybe go into business - what do you think?

Photos posted on ABPW as " a little different saddle rack"
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
A web search turned up a couple of pics (this one's a beaut:
http://www.lynchcustomwoodworking.com/mapmah%20saddle%20rack.htm),
but no plans per se. Can anyone point me in a fruitful
direction?

Pay is fine, so is free.

If I was building one I wouldn't be asking, but this is for a
colleague
who's about 2,000 klicks away.

T'nx

djb

--
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the
rest.
- Mark Twain.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

"DanG" wrote

I made one for a good friend who rides hunter-jumpers. It is a little
different. We call it the "horse of a different color". She thinks we
should maybe go into business - what do you think?

You could serve the clown niche.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The Josh entity posted thusly:

Depends on your saddle. I think 2.5" is pretty standard, but your best
bet would be to measure your horse at his withers, and then just behind
his withers. If your saddle fits him make the rack to match.

You could also place your saddle on a sawhorse and see what sort of
gap is under the horn.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"CW" wrote in message
Yes, it would.

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

Would such a narrow saddle rack tip over if you were to throw a saddle

on
it
or take it off?

Not necessarily ... it depends on the style of saddle. The one in the
picture appears to have been made for an English, or hunt seat saddle and
tipping over would not be a problem.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05