Posted to rec.woodworking
Peter Huebner

Default Bandsaw brands

I am looking to replace my bandsaw, I've done some looking around and what's
available here in NZ boils down to this:

Trupro 4300A - 17"
all ball bearing guides
w - 410mm, h - 300mm, table 430x430 mm
2 speed 430m/min and 850m/min
blades 1/8 - 1" price before tax 1650 $NZ ~$1120 US

Jet JWBS-16
ball bearing guides optional
w - 16 3/8 (416 mm) h - 10" (254mm), table 17" square (432mm)
1 speed 915m/min (3000f/min), 1.5 hp motor
1/8 - 1 1/4" blades price before tax 1600$NZ

D-Tool DT18 - 18"
w - 465mm, h - 267mm, table 535x485 mm
1 speed 2hp motor
1" blade price before tax 1095 NZ$
Suspiciously cheap. Will it take narrower blades?

Trupro WBS-20L
w = 500mm, h - 279mm, table 500x610 mm
2 speed 610m/min and 854m/min, 2 hp, FOOT BRAKE
1" blade price before tax around 2000 $NZ (1350 US)
described as heavy duty cast manufactured to European specs
At a weight in excess of 500 pounds I can believe that.
The throat is overkill for my needs, but ... beautifully big table at 2'

Socomec SN400 - 16"
w - 390, h - 280, table 500x450
1 speed 1080m/min, 1.5 hp
"heavy duty guides", made in Italy, price around 2000$NZ again

Lazzari - no, let's not get carried away, I don't want to spend 3 and a half
grand on a 16 inch bandsaw, even if it's made in Italy.

Scheppach (German) Somebody is also selling these but they don't state a price
nor specs. I'll have to go to the shop floor and see(but it's a 5 hour drive,
so I'd like to gather more info first).

***
Does anybody here have experience with any of these models? Good, bad: I'd love
to hear about it before I go and buy another lemon (I currently have an 18" 3
wheeler, and it's a dog - blade pulls to the right up to 10 degrees dependant
on grain, the bottom of the blade can skew up to 5 degrees from vertical even
at at max blade tension, it breaks blades like nobody's business, everytime
anyone but me uses it .......).

I do some re-sawing, typically nothing taller than 6", corner cutouts like for
window sills or cabinets, some angled ripping and preparation of stock for the
lathe - all up light use but I want a reliable machine that I don't have to
fight with all the time.

cheers, and TIA -Peter

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"Peter Huebner" wrote in message
t...

[...]

Peter, I have the 18" Jet 708750B, (about $1,200 USD) It is a great machine
for the money.

Dave

Jet JBS-14 Bandsaw Woodworking 0 February 9th 06 05:13 AM
Bandsaw review Bill Schwab Metalworking 0 January 24th 06 06:38 AM
first time bandsaw user/owner blade question Wookie Woodworking 4 February 29th 04 03:01 AM
Maloof: “Then I just cut ________ on the bandsaw charlie b Woodworking 12 November 16th 03 04:53 PM
Bandsaw Box... jim Woodworking 8 November 1st 03 05:07 PM