Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

Default Do You Lube It Before U Screw ??

Get your mind out of the gutter!

I started putting screw-lube (paraffin?) on my screws before using them
(from Rockler). Wow!! Huge difference. They go in like butter now. No
more breaking the heads off of screws (this was not intended to be a buy
better screws thread, so...) I use it every time now.

Just a little tip to those in the dark and a big Why didn't anyone tell me?
to everyone else!

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/index.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

You could'a checked the archives... Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
Don Dando

In hardwoods I use bar soap, the excess washes off easily and does not
prevent finishes from adhering to the wood.

Don Dando

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
Get your mind out of the gutter!

I started putting screw-lube (paraffin?) on my screws before using them
(from Rockler). Wow!! Huge difference. They go in like butter now. No
more breaking the heads off of screws (this was not intended to be a buy
better screws thread, so...) I use it every time now.

Just a little tip to those in the dark and a big Why didn't anyone tell

me?
to everyone else!

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/index.htm
(Featuring a NEW look)

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/index.htm
(Featuring a NEW look)

You got a local farmer's market? Buy some beeswax from the honey seller
and dip the screws in when it's hot melted.

Pretty great website, for what you can do and what you have done, that ought
to teach folks about budget and all possibilities. It doesn't take much, well
done.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jeff Gorman

"Don Dando" wrote

In hardwoods I use bar soap, the excess washes off easily and does not
prevent finishes from adhering to the wood.

This has the reputation for drawing moisture from the wood to the screw.

Jeff G

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused

tom wrote:
Don Dando wrote: In hardwoods I use bar soap,snip
Maybe you
should check the archives on the soap issue! (it'll probably be
allright, though.) Tom

Many, many moons ago (easily 20 years) I read a tip in one of the
various WW magazines around at the time that recommended the wax ring
for a toilet flange. Pretty sure it's beeswax.

They recommended, IIRC, just leave it out on a block of wood, jab the
screw tip into it and away you go.

I took it one better, melted it down in either the microwave or a double
boiler and poured it into a smallish jar with a screw cap (a small Vita
creamed herring jar, if you must knowg). Still have plenty left and
it stays clean and doesn't pick up the crap flying around in the shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"stoutman" wrote in message

Get your mind out of the gutter!

My screws come pre-lubed.

(Now, get your mind out of the gutter ...)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
Get your mind out of the gutter!

I started putting screw-lube (paraffin?) on my screws before using them
(from Rockler). Wow!! Huge difference. They go in like butter now. No
more breaking the heads off of screws (this was not intended to be a buy
better screws thread, so...) I use it every time now.

Just a little tip to those in the dark and a big Why didn't anyone tell
me? to everyone else!

We expected that you might have read at least one book on woodworking, where
this procedure is always mentioned. Old boys used to lube a nail. Often
kept a reservoir of wax in the handle for it.

Wax or oil are good choices, soap used to be a bad choice because the alkali
used attracted moisture from the air. Probably no longer a factor.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Don Dando" wrote in message
. com...
In hardwoods I use bar soap, the excess washes off easily and does not
prevent finishes from adhering to the wood.

However bar soap has a lot of water in it and causes screws to rust.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Jeff Gorman" wrote in message

"Don Dando" wrote

In hardwoods I use bar soap, the excess washes off easily and does not
prevent finishes from adhering to the wood.

This has the reputation for drawing moisture from the wood to the screw.

Not to mention the soap has a lot of moisture in it to begin with.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
Get your mind out of the gutter!

I started putting screw-lube (paraffin?) on my screws before using them
(from Rockler). Wow!! Huge difference. They go in like butter now. No
more breaking the heads off of screws (this was not intended to be a buy
better screws thread, so...) I use it every time now.

I have finally found a good use for a Miniwax product. About 6 years ago I
bought a can of Miniwax finishing wax. That tin is my screw lube.

Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

stoutman wrote:
Get your mind out of the gutter!

I started putting screw-lube (paraffin?) on my screws before using them
(from Rockler). Wow!! Huge difference. They go in like butter now.

I keep a chunk of grocery store paraffin in the bench. It's handy for
lots of things.
Posted to rec.woodworking
John DeBoo

I use the wax from a toilet bowl ring to lube mine. Works like a champ
and one ring will last a long long time for around a buck.
John

stoutman wrote:
Get your mind out of the gutter!

I started putting screw-lube (paraffin?) on my screws before using them
(from Rockler). Wow!! Huge difference. They go in like butter now. No
more breaking the heads off of screws (this was not intended to be a buy
better screws thread, so...) I use it every time now.

Just a little tip to those in the dark and a big Why didn't anyone tell me?
to everyone else!

Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

John DeBoo wrote:
I use the wax from a toilet bowl ring to lube mine.

That's an excellent idea.

Since we use "old" toothbrushes, panty hose, t-shirts, why not ask a
plumber... Nevermind! G
Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"B a r r y" wrote in message
. com...
John DeBoo wrote:
I use the wax from a toilet bowl ring to lube mine.

That's an excellent idea.

As long as you get one of the old style rings. New ones are different.

Posted to rec.woodworking
foggytown

Rub the screw along an old candle. Never EVER get any kind of lube oil
near wood!

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 03:33:25 GMT, "stoutman" .@. wrote:

Get your mind out of the gutter!

I started putting screw-lube (paraffin?) on my screws before using them
(from Rockler). Wow!! Huge difference. They go in like butter now. No
more breaking the heads off of screws (this was not intended to be a buy
better screws thread, so...) I use it every time now.

Just a little tip to those in the dark and a big Why didn't anyone tell me?
to everyone else!

because we knew that YOUR mind was in the gutter and that you'd think we were
talking about ky jelly??

A dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Magen

Went one better . . .
Had about a hundred or so empty 35mm film cans. Filled several with the
melted ring/wax and put them in every tool bag & workbench.

Poured the remainder into an empty 'travel size' deodorant container {with a
'screw as you use' bottom}. Put that one in the shop drawer.

Joanne couldn't figure out what I was doing when I put one in her 'kit'. Til
I helped her build a slanted 'raised bed' by the driveway fence . . . out of
scrap boards & trim that we 'sistered' together.

Regards,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote
Many, many moons ago (easily 20 years) I read a tip i. . . the wax ring
for a toilet flange.

SNIP
I took it one better, melted it down . . .{poured} a small Vita
creamed herring jar, if you must knowg).

PS - YUMMY - learned about that stuff from my Grandfather !!

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

Tanus wrote: snipThe archives are great.snip

You could be
the "hundredth (sp?) monkey". Some study awhile back showed that,
when, in a clan of monkeys, when a certain percentage of them caught on
to a new method or technique, very quickly the remainder of the clan
took up the new method or technique. I'm always open to a new way of
doing things, so I keep an eye on the newsgroups, anyway. Yes, the
archives_are_ great. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

You could be
the "hundredth (sp?) monkey". Some study awhile back showed that,
when, in a clan of monkeys, when a certain percentage of them caught on
to a new method or technique, very quickly the remainder of the clan
took up the new method or technique.

Oooo, oooo. Eheeee, eheee.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Wood Butcher

I use beeswax too, but it was a PITA to have to melt it
all the time. I figured out that if I added some Mineral
Spirits to the melted wax, then let it cool, I'd never need
to melt it again. It doesn't take much MS so add just a
little then cool. If it's too stiff, keep reheating & adding
a bit more till you're happy with it. Mine is about the
consistency of room temp (70 degrees) butter.

This mixture also works just great on my boots instead
of buying the pricey SnowSeal.

Art

"AAvK" wrote in message news:9LcJf.15810$eR.8800@fed1read03...
--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/index.htm
(Featuring a NEW look)

You got a local farmer's market? Buy some beeswax from the honey seller
and dip the screws in when it's hot melted.

Pretty great website, for what you can do and what you have done, that ought
to teach folks about budget and all possibilities. It doesn't take much, well
done.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

What a baboon....(insert smiley face here) Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

"tom" wrote in message
ups.com...
What a baboon....(insert smiley face here) Tom

You obviously don't know a monkey when you hear one. Baboon?

(re-insert smiley face)

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

"tom" wrote in message
ups.com...
What a baboon....(insert smiley face here) Tom

Yep it was a baboon. I forgot that a baboon was a type of monkey.

Ooooo eeeeeee.

(re-insert smiley face)

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

Stoutman wrote: (I wroteWhat a baboon....(insert smiley face here)
Tom
You obviously don't know a monkey when you hear one. Baboon?
(re-insert smiley face)

It was a simianaly, dagnabbit! Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

"tom" wrote in message
ps.com...
Stoutman wrote: (I wroteWhat a baboon....(insert smiley face here)
Tom
You obviously don't know a monkey when you hear one. Baboon?
(re-insert smiley face)

It was a simianaly, dagnabbit! Tom

I get it now. Gosh!

I'm just a simian, give me a break. ( i inserted the smiley for your
convenience)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Australopithecus scobis

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 04:02:39 +0000, opined:

I forgot that a baboon was a type of monkey.

Arrgh! Baboons are apes, not monkeys! Old World monkeys, New World
monkeys, lesser apes and great apes are the groupings to remember. Calling
a baboon a monkey is like calling a Nicholson #49 a measuring device.

--
"Keep your ass behind you"
wreck20051219 at spambob.net

Posted to rec.woodworking
Australopithecus scobis

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 19:51:52 -0800, Wood Butcher opined:

This mixture also works just great on my boots instead
of buying the pricey SnowSeal.

There are hobbyists who make their own perfumes, lotions and soaps. The
suppliers for that hobby sell lanolin in jugs. Add some lanolin to your
beeswax boot sealer. You can also use the extra lanolin to soothe your
face after trying unusual methods of shaving. 8-#

You can play around with the solvent mix in your screw-wax tub. I started
with mineral oil, then lightened it up with this and that 'til I got the
consistency I like. Or, stick with the mineral oil and add a few drops of
Ronsonol every few weeks.

Bolts get a taste of propane torch, then get rubbed on the Gulfwax chunk.

--
"Keep your ass behind you"
wreck20051219 at spambob.net

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Tanus" wrote in message
oups.com...
So, when I saw the Lube title, I checked it out. And yes, I learned
something. I learned a lot from all the posts so far, and it's
something I'll set up in my own shop tomorrow. Lots of lil containers
filled with stuff that I can easily dip a screw into.

Or - you could stop by a sewing store and get some beeswax used to wax
thread. Not as icky sticky and just as useful.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article , stoutman .@. wrote:

You could be
the "hundredth (sp?) monkey". Some study awhile back showed that,
when, in a clan of monkeys, when a certain percentage of them caught on
to a new method or technique, very quickly the remainder of the clan
took up the new method or technique.

Oooo, oooo. Eheeee, eheee.

And the next line of the song is:
Walla Walla Bing Bang......

screw keeps turning dundonald UK diy 15 October 26th 18 08:18 AM
What is this screw on toilet ballcock? Mikepier Home Repair 12 September 9th 17 09:24 AM
Home Depot not for Do-It-Yourself'ers? Joseph Home Repair 32 March 24th 04 08:50 PM
Vent screw keeps falling barry martin Home Repair 1 December 14th 03 07:40 PM
How to screw in a light bulb. Alan Beagley Home Repair 43 November 5th 03 02:59 AM