Alan Beagley

Default How to screw in a light bulb.

That's fine until the bulb goes "pop!" and the glass shatters when power
is applied -- i.e., while it's still in your hand. Or, to put it another
way, don't try it when you're using el-cheapo almost-free-after-rebate
Sylvania bulbs that you got from your freindly neighborhood membership
warehouse store.

-=-
Alan

On 10/29/03 07:09 pm Joe put fingers to keyboard and launched the
following message into cyberspace:

How many people screw in a light bulb by turning off the light, screwing in
the bulb in tight and turning on the light?

This, according to my electrician, is the wrong way.

Apparently, the correct way to screw in a light bulb is to keep power to the
socket on and screw the light only until it lights up. This prevents the
contact in the base of the socket from getting crushed which makes it harder
to get contact with each subsequent bulb.

Alan Beagley

Even the USA did not manage to adopt a non-metric system for volts,
amps, etc.

In fact even the Brits. managed to avoid a non-metric system for matters
electrical. Otherwise, Britain would have 16 volts to a
something-or-other, 9 something-or-others to a watchamacallit, 4
watchamacallits to a thingamajig, and 7 thingamajigs to a . . .

At least US volts, Imperial volts and European volts are the same,
whereas US gallons are composed of 8 wrong-sized pints.

-=-
Alan

On 10/29/03 10:13 pm Chuckles put fingers to keyboard and launched the
following message into cyberspace:

Yes, the best way is to see when it just lights up and then measure the
fraction of a turn to where it stops going further, then back off halfway.
Europeans say 1/3 of the way, but that's because they use the stupid metric
system (220 volts) as opposed to the imperial system (110 volts).

Wade Lippman

"Joe" wrote in message
How many people screw in a light bulb by turning off the light, screwing

in
the bulb in tight and turning on the light?

This, according to my electrician, is the wrong way.

Apparently, the correct way to screw in a light bulb is to keep power to

the
socket on and screw the light only until it lights up. This prevents the
contact in the base of the socket from getting crushed which makes it

harder
to get contact with each subsequent bulb.

Joe

Thank you for sharing that with us Joe. I have been doing it wrong my whole
life; I guess I will be seeing dozens of crushed bases any time now from my
years of carelessness.

PhotoMan

"Wade Lippman" wrote in message

"Joe" wrote in message
How many people screw in a light bulb by turning off the light, screwing

in
the bulb in tight and turning on the light?

This, according to my electrician, is the wrong way.

Apparently, the correct way to screw in a light bulb is to keep power to

the
socket on and screw the light only until it lights up. This prevents the
contact in the base of the socket from getting crushed which makes it

harder
to get contact with each subsequent bulb.

Joe

Thank you for sharing that with us Joe. I have been doing it wrong my

whole
life; I guess I will be seeing dozens of crushed bases any time now from

my
years of carelessness.

OMG, another major project! There must be 30 incandescant lamps in this
place of mine. :-(

mark Ransley

No the proper way is hold the bulb and turn the socket

John Grabowski

My concern would be that the bulb may not be making good contact with the
lamp socket. If the connection is loose, excessive heat will be generated
and cause more damage then from overtightening.

"Joe" wrote in message
How many people screw in a light bulb by turning off the light, screwing

in
the bulb in tight and turning on the light?

This, according to my electrician, is the wrong way.

Apparently, the correct way to screw in a light bulb is to keep power to

the
socket on and screw the light only until it lights up. This prevents the
contact in the base of the socket from getting crushed which makes it

harder
to get contact with each subsequent bulb.

Joe

Tony Hwang

Joe wrote:
How many people screw in a light bulb by turning off the light, screwing in
the bulb in tight and turning on the light?

This, according to my electrician, is the wrong way.

Apparently, the correct way to screw in a light bulb is to keep power to the
socket on and screw the light only until it lights up. This prevents the
contact in the base of the socket from getting crushed which makes it harder
to get contact with each subsequent bulb.

Joe

Hi,
Hello...., Common sense, where are you?
Tony

Tony Hwang

Chuckles wrote:

"John Grabowski" wrote in
:

My concern would be that the bulb may not be making good contact with
the lamp socket. If the connection is loose, excessive heat will be
generated and cause more damage then from overtightening.

Yes, the best way is to see when it just lights up and then measure the
fraction of a turn to where it stops going further, then back off halfway.
Europeans say 1/3 of the way, but that's because they use the stupid metric
system (220 volts) as opposed to the imperial system (110 volts).

Hi,
Stupid(?) Metric system has better efficiency. Korea converted to 220V
some time ago. They have surplus power, utility company is asking people
to use more power.
Tony

I-zheet M'drurz

On 29 Oct 2003, Joe wrote:

How many people screw in a light bulb by turning off the light,
screwing in the bulb in tight and turning on the light?

This, according to my electrician, is the wrong way.

Apparently, the correct way to screw in a light bulb is to keep power
to the socket on and screw the light only until it lights up. This
prevents the contact in the base of the socket from getting crushed
which makes it harder to get contact with each subsequent bulb.

conventional wisdom

TFT.
Two Fingers Tight.
No tighter than you can turn it with two fingers.

/conventional wisdom
advice

And you shouldn't squeeze too tight on a bulb with 2 fingers.

/advice

HTH.

Tom Pendergast e-mail is for sissies, say it on line
George E. Cawthon

Right. and did he tell you how to plug in and unplug an
extension cord? or perhaps, what color of extension cord
saves the most electricity?

Joe wrote:

How many people screw in a light bulb by turning off the light, screwing in
the bulb in tight and turning on the light?

This, according to my electrician, is the wrong way.

Apparently, the correct way to screw in a light bulb is to keep power to the
socket on and screw the light only until it lights up. This prevents the
contact in the base of the socket from getting crushed which makes it harder
to get contact with each subsequent bulb.

Joe

Chuckles

Alan Beagley wrote in
:

Even the USA did not manage to adopt a non-metric system for volts,
amps, etc.

Volts are metric? This was slipped in somehow. One of the risks of having
an open society. Bush needs to order Homeland Security to find out how this
could have happened.
Chuckles

Tony Hwang wrote in

Yes, the best way is to see when it just lights up and then measure
the fraction of a turn to where it stops going further, then back off
halfway. Europeans say 1/3 of the way, but that's because they use
the stupid metric system (220 volts) as opposed to the imperial
system (110 volts).

Hi,
Stupid(?) Metric system has better efficiency. Korea converted to 220V
some time ago. They have surplus power, utility company is asking
people to use more power.
Tony

I am sorry, but you are an idiot.

Aren't you the same guy who was insisting that light bulbs have
significant inductance at 60Hz?
Jim Thompson

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:09:40 GMT, "Joe" wrote:

How many people screw in a light bulb by turning off the light, screwing in
the bulb in tight and turning on the light?

This, according to my electrician, is the wrong way.

Apparently, the correct way to screw in a light bulb is to keep power to the
socket on and screw the light only until it lights up. This prevents the
contact in the base of the socket from getting crushed which makes it harder
to get contact with each subsequent bulb.

Joe

It takes two psychiatrists, but the light bulb really has to want to
;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Tony Hwang

Chuckles wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote in

Yes, the best way is to see when it just lights up and then measure
the fraction of a turn to where it stops going further, then back off
halfway. Europeans say 1/3 of the way, but that's because they use
the stupid metric system (220 volts) as opposed to the imperial
system (110 volts).

Hi,
Stupid(?) Metric system has better efficiency. Korea converted to 220V
some time ago. They have surplus power, utility company is asking
people to use more power.
Tony

I am sorry, but you are an idiot.

Aren't you the same guy who was insisting that light bulbs have
significant inductance at 60Hz?

Hi,
I am sorry, you must be one too. Like kinds always recognize same.
Where is this word significant coming from? Reread my posts.
Tony

C.J.

And here I thought that this was a misdirected fetish-group post due to the
subject line.

--
C.J.

Pull my pud to reply

Dave Mitton

"Joe" wrote:

How many people screw in a light bulb by turning off the light, screwing in
the bulb in tight and turning on the light?

This, according to my electrician, is the wrong way.

Apparently, the correct way to screw in a light bulb is to keep power to the
socket on and screw the light only until it lights up. This prevents the
contact in the base of the socket from getting crushed which makes it harder
to get contact with each subsequent bulb.

Joe

Except for the heat from the arc when it makes partial contact, and melts and
deforms the solder on the bottom of the bulb.

I prefer to tighten bulbs without power present, because I like a smooth bottom
bulb for best contact.

Dave.

Jeff Wisnia

Joe wrote:

How many people screw in a light bulb by turning off the light, screwing in
the bulb in tight and turning on the light?

This, according to my electrician, is the wrong way.

Apparently, the correct way to screw in a light bulb is to keep power to the
socket on and screw the light only until it lights up. This prevents the
contact in the base of the socket from getting crushed which makes it harder
to get contact with each subsequent bulb.

Joe

How come nobody's pointed out the correct way to "Screw In a Lightbulb" yet? My
preferred way is:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/screwing.gif

Jeff (Who's been waiting a long time for this opening...)

--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"If you can smile when things are going wrong, you've thought of someone to
blame it on."

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff

Chia Pet

Default Q: How Many alt.home.repair People Does It Take to Screw In a Lightbulb?

A: At least 18 so far.

HA HA Budys Here

My way is best.
I hold the bulb high in the air, and the socket, and the whole world revolves
around me.

I-zheet M'drurz

On 30 Oct 2003, HA HA Budys Here wrote:

My way is best.
I hold the bulb high in the air, and the socket, and the whole
world revolves around me.

Damn it Jennifer, the alimony check will be in the mail
today. Quit stalking me, bitch!

Tom Pendergast e-mail is for sissies, say it on line
Chris Lewis

According to Chuckles :
"John Grabowski" wrote in
:

My concern would be that the bulb may not be making good contact with
the lamp socket. If the connection is loose, excessive heat will be
generated and cause more damage then from overtightening.

Yes, the best way is to see when it just lights up and then measure the
fraction of a turn to where it stops going further, then back off halfway.
Europeans say 1/3 of the way, but that's because they use the stupid metric
system (220 volts) as opposed to the imperial system (110 volts).

Hook, line and sinker.

That is funny.

[Hint: what is "metric"/"imperial" about 220V versus 120V? Answer: _nothing_
whatsoever.]
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Chris Lewis

According to Joe :
How many people screw in a light bulb by turning off the light, screwing in
the bulb in tight and turning on the light?

This, according to my electrician, is the wrong way.

Apparently, the correct way to screw in a light bulb is to keep power to the
socket on and screw the light only until it lights up. This prevents the
contact in the base of the socket from getting crushed which makes it harder
to get contact with each subsequent bulb.

That's exactly the worst _possible_ way.

Maximizes risk of contact corrosion, overheating and fire.

Tantamount to telling people the best way to connect two wires is to make sure
they only barely touch.

Yeah right.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Bruno The Magnificent

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to Joe :
How many people screw in a light bulb by turning off the light, screwing

in
the bulb in tight and turning on the light?

This, according to my electrician, is the wrong way.

Apparently, the correct way to screw in a light bulb is to keep power to

the
socket on and screw the light only until it lights up. This prevents the
contact in the base of the socket from getting crushed which makes it

harder
to get contact with each subsequent bulb.

That's exactly the worst _possible_ way.

I concur. I only change lightbulbs during power failures.

Better safe than sorry.

Stormin Mormon

How do you get 18 people in a light bulb?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Chia Pet" Chia wrote in message
A: At least 18 so far.

Stormin Mormon

I screw it in until I can feel the resistance of the bulb meeting the center
terminal.

I've had two cases where someone had a dead socket, and the fix was to pull
the center tab out a bit. Another case which the socket flickered, and I
replaced the socket.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Joe" wrote in message
How many people screw in a light bulb by turning off the light, screwing in
the bulb in tight and turning on the light?

This, according to my electrician, is the wrong way.

Apparently, the correct way to screw in a light bulb is to keep power to the
socket on and screw the light only until it lights up. This prevents the
contact in the base of the socket from getting crushed which makes it harder
to get contact with each subsequent bulb.

Joe

Stormin Mormon

That wasn't obvious to me until you mentioned it. What's the torque spec,
though?

Your electrician is also trying to snow you into thinking that only an
electrician can properly install a bulb. He must be feeling the competition
from Home Depot.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:09:40 GMT, "Joe" wrote:

How many people screw in a light bulb by turning off the light, screwing in
the bulb in tight and turning on the light?

This, according to my electrician, is the wrong way.

Apparently, the correct way to screw in a light bulb is to keep power to

the
socket on and screw the light only until it lights up. This prevents the
contact in the base of the socket from getting crushed which makes it

harder
to get contact with each subsequent bulb.

Joe

Your electrician is a hack. The proper and accurate way is to use a
torque wrench.

BB

Stormin Mormon

Yeah, but he makes LOTS more work for real electricians, heating guys, adn
so on. And great ammusement for the rest of us.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Liam McConn" wrote in message
mark Ransley wrote:

No the proper way is hold the bulb and turn the socket

Ransley, you will always be nothing more than an infected gonad on the
scrotum of society..

Stormin Mormon

Is dielectric grease now available in caulk tubes? Or was that Noalox?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Joe" wrote in message
How many people screw in a light bulb by turning off the light, screwing

in
the bulb in tight and turning on the light?

This, according to my electrician, is the wrong way.

Apparently, the correct way to screw in a light bulb is to keep power to

the
socket on and screw the light only until it lights up. This prevents the
contact in the base of the socket from getting crushed which makes it

harder
to get contact with each subsequent bulb.

Joe

Stormin Mormon

Hey, wait till we get all blue wires. I mean, this "black and white" wire
routine is so racist. We need to strip out all wires, and replace them all
with UN blue.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Chuckles" wrote in message
s.com...
Alan Beagley wrote in
:

Even the USA did not manage to adopt a non-metric system for volts,
amps, etc.

Volts are metric? This was slipped in somehow. One of the risks of having
an open society. Bush needs to order Homeland Security to find out how this
could have happened.

Stormin Mormon

Only when Ransley is off his medication. Then it vibrates his brain.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Chuckles" wrote in message
s.com...
Tony Hwang wrote in

Yes, the best way is to see when it just lights up and then measure
the fraction of a turn to where it stops going further, then back off
halfway. Europeans say 1/3 of the way, but that's because they use
the stupid metric system (220 volts) as opposed to the imperial
system (110 volts).

Hi,
Stupid(?) Metric system has better efficiency. Korea converted to 220V
some time ago. They have surplus power, utility company is asking
people to use more power.
Tony

I am sorry, but you are an idiot.

Aren't you the same guy who was insisting that light bulbs have
significant inductance at 60Hz?

Stormin Mormon

Or one Charismatic preacher.

"I rebuke thee, darkness. In the name of **JESUS** Be thou.....
***CHANGED***"

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message
[...]

Stormin Mormon

Bravo!!!! I had to forward this far and wide.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

Joe wrote:

[...]

Pat Norton

Chris Lewis wrote:
what is "metric"/"imperial" about 220V versus 120V?
Answer: _nothing_whatsoever.

Quite. In any case, European voltage is now 230 V nominal (although
220 V is within tolerance). Normal British light bulbs do not screw.
They are bayonet fittings just like those on cars.

The people in the electrical store claim not to understand me when I
ask for a 205 BTU per hour bulb.

Jim Thompson

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 01:38:08 GMT, "Martik"
wrote:

A little anti-seize compound on the threads makes them easier to remove. 2%
of my bulbs seize up and have to be removed with needle nose pliers after
breaking the bulb.

What compound do you recommend?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

The Masked Marvel

That you are able to remove 98% of your bulbs without pliers after breaking
them is impressive indeed!

"Joe" wrote in message
How many people screw in a light bulb by turning off the light, screwing

in
the bulb in tight and turning on the light?

This, according to my electrician, is the wrong way.

Apparently, the correct way to screw in a light bulb is to keep power to

the
socket on and screw the light only until it lights up. This prevents the
contact in the base of the socket from getting crushed which makes it

harder
to get contact with each subsequent bulb.

Joe

Light for front porch - suggestions wanted Anthony James UK diy 9 June 6th 04 09:47 PM
Pinched......... wanderer UK diy 8 September 12th 03 11:56 AM
anyone know how to diagnose a faulty Choke / Ballast in fluorescent light circuit nick UK diy 14 July 7th 03 02:01 PM