Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith

Default Sanded through finish help

I'm finishing my coffee table and have been using a Sam Maloof finish which is
Tung oil, Linseed oil and Varnish. I noticed some scratches after applying the
first coat and sanded it with 300 grit paper and applied the second coat. It
appears to be lighter on the places I sanded and wondered if I should sand it
down and start over. I did sand through the finish on those spots.

I really like the Sam Maloof finish by the way.
Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

)
"Keith" wrote in message
I'm finishing my coffee table and have been using a Sam Maloof finish
which is
Tung oil, Linseed oil and Varnish. I noticed some scratches after applying
the
first coat and sanded it with 300 grit paper and applied the second coat.
It
appears to be lighter on the places I sanded and wondered if I should sand
it
down and start over. I did sand through the finish on those spots.

I really like

Your first coat is 'really' thin. most of the varnish gets sucked into
pores of the wood. I only lightly rub with 0000 steel wool after coat #1.
--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

Your first coat is usually called your sealer coat.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Keith" wrote in message
I'm finishing my coffee table and have been using a Sam Maloof finish
which is
Tung oil, Linseed oil and Varnish. I noticed some scratches after applying
the
first coat and sanded it with 300 grit paper and applied the second coat.
It
appears to be lighter on the places I sanded and wondered if I should sand
it
down and start over. I did sand through the finish on those spots.

I really like the Sam Maloof finish by the way.

Simply apply another coat and see what the result is. Most likely it will
all look pretty good after the 3 rd coat.

Veneer plaster finish textures Wayne Whitney Home Repair 0 February 1st 05 10:50 PM
Wax Finish Help? CBlood59 Woodworking 8 August 18th 04 03:12 PM
Textured finish for sub-bass cabinet Neil Jowsey UK diy 5 July 20th 04 07:23 PM
Mark Shafer's oil-beeswax gel finish (mini-review) B a r r y Woodworking 0 April 20th 04 11:33 AM
Patches of missing finish on oak tables -- how to repair and match color? Tekla Woodworking 1 March 5th 04 02:28 AM