Posted to rec.woodworking
P.I._Maine

Default Powermatic 72

Does anyone have any advice on the 1970's model Powermatic 72. Have they
been a good saw in the past? It's got a biesemeyer fence and a 7hp Leeson
motor. I can pick it up for $800 obo. Is it possible to replace bearings
on these saws if need be? I'm headed down to take a look at it (about a 6
hour ride), just figured I'd try and gain some advice before jumping into
this. Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark Schroeder

That's the saw I use. Just replaced the bearings last year - very easy,
picked em up at a auto parts store. Its been a great saw for me, (worth
$800 with a bes. fence!)

Schroeder
"P.I._Maine" wrote in message
news
Does anyone have any advice on the 1970's model Powermatic 72. Have they
been a good saw in the past? It's got a biesemeyer fence and a 7hp Leeson
motor. I can pick it up for $800 obo. Is it possible to replace bearings
on these saws if need be? I'm headed down to take a look at it (about a 6
hour ride), just figured I'd try and gain some advice before jumping into
this. Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"P.I._Maine" wrote in message
news
Does anyone have any advice on the 1970's model Powermatic 72. Have they
been a good saw in the past? It's got a biesemeyer fence and a 7hp Leeson
motor. I can pick it up for $800 obo. Is it possible to replace bearings
on these saws if need be? I'm headed down to take a look at it (about a 6
hour ride), just figured I'd try and gain some advice before jumping into
this. Jeff

IIRC this is a 12" TS if that matters.

Posted to rec.woodworking
P.I._Maine

Thanks for letting me know Leon, he actually has it listed as a 14" saw
with a 3 phase 7hp Leeson motor. Jeff

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

"P.I._Maine" wrote in message
news
Does anyone have any advice on the 1970's model Powermatic 72. Have they
been a good saw in the past? It's got a biesemeyer fence and a 7hp
Leeson motor. I can pick it up for $800 obo. Is it possible to replace
bearings on these saws if need be? I'm headed down to take a look at it
(about a 6 hour ride), just figured I'd try and gain some advice before
jumping into this. Jeff

IIRC this is a 12" TS if that matters.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

Unless you have a phase converter, you need to find out
about a replacement single phase motor. Some of the older
Powermatics have a problem with motor replacement due to
cabinet restrictions.

Go here http://www.owwm.com and look through the archives
on Powermatics. This saw has been discussed several times
by several folks. Look for Robert Vaughn comments. He is
a Powermatic field repair rep.

The 72 is a 12/14" saw with a 1" arbor which can be a pain
in the ass on blade selection.

P.I._Maine wrote:

Does anyone have any advice on the 1970's model Powermatic 72. Have they
been a good saw in the past? It's got a biesemeyer fence and a 7hp Leeson
motor. I can pick it up for $800 obo. Is it possible to replace bearings
on these saws if need be? I'm headed down to take a look at it (about a 6
hour ride), just figured I'd try and gain some advice before jumping into
this. Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking
New Wave Dave

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
Unless you have a phase converter, you need to find out
about a replacement single phase motor. Some of the older
Powermatics have a problem with motor replacement due to
cabinet restrictions.

I've got three-phase at my house; maybe I should take it off your
hands. Where'd you say you're picking it up?

--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"P.I._Maine" wrote in message
Thanks for letting me know Leon, he actually has it listed as a 14" saw
with a 3 phase 7hp Leeson motor. Jeff

If you live in a residential area you will also have to equip it with a
phase converter to single phase.

Posted to rec.woodworking
New Wave Dave

"Leon" wrote in message

"P.I._Maine" wrote in message
Thanks for letting me know Leon, he actually has it listed as a 14"
saw with a 3 phase 7hp Leeson motor. Jeff

If you live in a residential area you will also have to equip it with
a phase converter to single phase.

Really? I do [live in a residential area].
And I thought I was so smart to keep the three-phase when I had the
service upgraded. Thought I had surely killed the 'fridge about ten
years ago when I plugged the 20 amp breaker for the dedicated circuit
into the wrong slot. I didn't know those 15 watt appliance bulbs could
get that bright. And that defroster strip that hides in the divide
between the freezer side and the 'fridge side? While I was mesmerized
by the light I damn near blistered my left hand.

"Electric Wave" Dave In Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking
William

"P.I._Maine" wrote in message
news
Does anyone have any advice on the 1970's model Powermatic 72. Have they
been a good saw in the past? It's got a biesemeyer fence and a 7hp Leeson
motor. I can pick it up for $800 obo. Is it possible to replace bearings
on these saws if need be? I'm headed down to take a look at it (about a 6
hour ride), just figured I'd try and gain some advice before jumping into
this. Jeff

I have one and I like it there are a few things you should know about it

It's a 14/12" saw with a 1" arbor
When you mount a 14" blade on it the blade will NOT retract below the table
surface
They are big and heavy
If you can't use the 7.5 hp 3 phase motor I would buy it from you as some
one "changed" mine to a standard frame motor and I'm looking for another
( you can get a single phase 5hp motor for it)

William

Powermatic 60B 8" Jointer - Update Gary Woodworking 0 July 26th 04 05:37 PM
Powermatic and Dewalt customer service. A simple story.... j.duprie Woodturning 5 July 24th 04 02:15 AM
Powermatic Model 66 LP Woodworking 16 May 10th 04 08:54 PM
Is Powermatic Mortiser Easier to Cut with??? Larry C in Auburn, WA Woodworking 23 January 18th 04 06:22 PM
Vintage Powermatic lathes Jim Wilson Woodworking 11 September 29th 03 01:56 AM