Posted to rec.woodworking

Default router bit needed

I'm writing this because I had to go to a lumberyard and buy an 8' 2X10
instead of a
router bit, which I thought was kind of strange. The project involves
putting a rabbet
on a radiused edge, 1/8" deep but 7/8" wide. A regular slot cutting
bit would have
worked well but they only go in about 1/2". There is a top bearing
flush cutting straight
bit in the arsenal, with an inch long cutting edge. Anyway, the best
alternative
I can think of is to make a very thick template guide out of 2X in
order to accomodate
the flush cutter to get my 7/8" wide rabbet. It just seems that a
router bit should be
available somewhere, given today's powerful variable speed routers,
that would make
this kind of cut. I can't find it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charley

If you're going to do that with a router you shouldn't be trying to make the
cut in one pass anyway. Have you go an edge guide? With an edge guide and
several reasonable depth passes your present straight bit you should be able
to get what you want. With the edge guide it won't matter if the bit has a
top bearing. You can still use it.
If you don't have an edge guide you could attach a thin straight edge to the
board and use your top bearing to ride against it. Again, you should plan on
making shallow cuts and moving your straight edge several times to get to
7/8".
Another approach, still using this same bit, would be to use it in a router
table, making shallow passes and moving the fence until you reach 7/8". (you
wouldn't be using the bearing this time either)
--
Charley

" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm writing this because I had to go to a lumberyard and buy an 8' 2X10
instead of a
router bit, which I thought was kind of strange. The project involves
putting a rabbet
on a radiused edge, 1/8" deep but 7/8" wide. A regular slot cutting
bit would have
worked well but they only go in about 1/2". There is a top bearing
flush cutting straight
bit in the arsenal, with an inch long cutting edge. Anyway, the best
alternative
I can think of is to make a very thick template guide out of 2X in
order to accomodate
the flush cutter to get my 7/8" wide rabbet. It just seems that a
router bit should be
available somewhere, given today's powerful variable speed routers,
that would make
this kind of cut. I can't find it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Other than that, you can also rabbet with a table saw.

Oops, maybe I used the wrong terminology to explain my layout. O.K.
Flat board, 5/8" thick, 40" long and about 12" deep. Each end of the
board
sweeps around in about a 4" radius, so it's not a straight edge that I
need
the rabbet on. Doesn't an edge guide require a straight edge? The
curves
at the ends of the board are more or less free form; each ends in a
kind
of tight squiggle. But the rabbet has to be a consistent 7/8 back in
from the
edge, which curves. The only two ways to do this that I could think of
was
with a slot cutter type of bit (with a bearing) , or a template with
either a
router-mounted guide or a top-bearing bit. So I got my 2X10 and traced

the curved piece onto it. Then I cut out the shape on the bandsaw and
sanded it to the pencil line. Then, using a sliding square, I traced
7/8"
back from this finished edge, cut it out on the bandsaw again and
sanded
it smooth and true, and clamped it over the workpiece. Turned out
nice,
but would have been a lot easier with a deep-rabbeting router bit!
But
now that I think about it, I could have used the router mounted
template guide
and a scrap of masonite. Shoot.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lyndell Thompson

" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm writing this because I had to go to a lumberyard and buy an 8' 2X10
instead of a
router bit, which I thought was kind of strange. The project involves
putting a rabbet
on a radiused edge, 1/8" deep but 7/8" wide. A regular slot cutting
bit would have
worked well but they only go in about 1/2". There is a top bearing
flush cutting straight
bit in the arsenal, with an inch long cutting edge. Anyway, the best
alternative
I can think of is to make a very thick template guide out of 2X in
order to accomodate
the flush cutter to get my 7/8" wide rabbet. It just seems that a
router bit should be
available somewhere, given today's powerful variable speed routers,
that would make
this kind of cut. I can't find it.

I have posted what you need on ABPW. It is not too difficult to make and I
have used mine a bunch. All sorts of variations can be made on it. Use a
straight edge and make however many passes it takes.....without ever moving
the straightedge! It is courtesy of an old Patrick Spielman router book I
have. If we could just get Patrick to contribute to this NG. If you ever get
a chance to get a woodworking book by him grab it!

Good Luck Lyndell

P.S. Hope Patrick don't send the cops after me for this. It was an extra
sheet just inside the front cover of the book.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have posted what you need on ABPW.

Thanks, I'd like to look at it, but what's ABPW?

Posted to rec.woodworking

newsgroup: alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

DAMHIKT

YMMV

HAND

TARFU

Using the provided information, I typed
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking, and
came up with a bunch of postings about what I had just typed in. Am I
supposed to be embarassed about being internet-illiterate now?