Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Default Here's Your Cheap Shop - NC

All I know about 'em is, they're listed in one of the local bargain
papers. Good way to get an inexpensive shop.

Used Mobile Home - good condition, price is correct, no misprint.
$1500.00
(252) 799-6286 Williamston

12x60 Mobile home, Free, must be moved. $0.00 (252) 524-5114 Grifton

12x60 Mobile Home - exc shape, move in cond., has tires & axles, ready
to be moved, in Greenville area, $1200.00
(919) 819-2711 Raleigh

Free, older mobile home, good for storage, fishing, fixer upper, $0.00
(252) 756-9631 Greenville

2 Singlewide mobile homes, good for storage, FREE, $0.00 (252) 717-9711
Greenville

JOAT
Have a nice day!
Someplace else.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The Mark & Juanita entity posted thusly:

Not a bad idea. However, there are many areas where even those of us
with enough land are precluded by zoning regulations from placing mobile
homes on our places.

What a shame. Can't you call it a shop or agricultural building? I
would think that the reason for the bylaw would be to prevent folks
from living in it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 23:07:04 -0600, Oleg Lego
wrote:

The Mark & Juanita entity posted thusly:

Not a bad idea. However, there are many areas where even those of us
with enough land are precluded by zoning regulations from placing mobile
homes on our places.

What a shame. Can't you call it a shop or agricultural building? I
would think that the reason for the bylaw would be to prevent folks
from living in it.

I think the reason is really to actually avoid having the trailers
on-site because they often become run-down and eye-sores with either
peeling paint, or the siding become delapidated and run-down. ie, I think
it's more esthetic than anything else. Now, if I put a motor in it and it
became an RV, then I could park it :-) RV's, Arizona's state vehicle.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Wood Butcher

If you pull the axle & wheels and do not hook up the
water and sewer - would that be enough to prove it
wasn't a "home"? You would probably want to go
even further and gut it for free space. ie. no kitchen,
no bath, nada. Just a shell. Hard to call that a home.

Security would be a big issue for me. Way too much
glass and walls you go thru with a box cutter.

Art

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 19:13:39 -0500, (J T) wrote:

Not a bad idea. However, there are many areas where even those of us
with enough land are precluded by zoning regulations from placing mobile
homes on our places.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Brooks Moses

Wood Butcher wrote:
Security would be a big issue for me. Way too much
glass and walls you go thru with a box cutter.

What about floors that you go through with a table saw base?

- Brooks

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Ba r r y" wrote in message

There's someone out there who wants to build desert homes from
decommissioned Boeing 727's, surely a mobile home could be an
interesting shop for someone? Not everyone, maybe not a lot of folks,
but where there's a will...

What's interesting about this thread is not the mobile home shop, but the
optimist/pessimist tendencies displayed by the posters.

I like your attitude. SWMBO is of your and JOAT's "why not?" mindset ...
nothing to her is impossible, and what I may initially think of as a setback
is to her the door opening on a new opportunity.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB

We are looking at various rural properties to build our retirement home.
Occasionally a property pops up with a mobile home or older double-wide
modular and I think that might be a good shop option. My only concern, with
heavier machines, is floor. I worked for a mobile home manufacturer years
ago. Floor structure in most is plenty beefy to support a 400-500 pound
machine, but the sheeting in some is a little anemic, especially if aged,
rotted or delaminated. Pretty easy to fix though with these cheap to free
prices.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking
brianlanning

I like your attitude. SWMBO is of your and JOAT's "why not?" mindset ...
nothing to her is impossible, and what I may initially think of as a setback
is to her the door opening on a new opportunity.

I'm an IT worker, and whenever times are good, I tolerate living in a
big city because the money is good. But when times get tough, my wife
and I consider cutting our losses and moving out of the city. At the
hight (or pit?) of the dotcom bust, I had what has got to be the
coolest idea I think I've ever had. But it takes the right kid of
person to do this. We also have 8 kids, which helps.

I was considering how I could get the most usable home square footage
for the least amount of money. I suggested to my wife that we buy a
plot of land somewhere. At the time, it was florida. But anywhere
rural would probably work. Then we would get four long single-wide
mobile homes. I would gut them, replacing the flooring, wall
coverings, everything. Pressure wash, repaint. Basically, make them
presentable. Then I would arrange them so that the "front doors" would
all point toward each other. They would be arranged in a big square.
Then I'd build a deck connecting them all. Access to the center would
be at the corners of the square with gates for security. I also
invisioned a large waterproof canopy that would allow light though, but
shield the deck from water and sun. One trailer would be a
bedroom/bathroom/office for me and my wife. One would be a central
livingroom/diningroom/kitchen, and two would be bedrooms for the kids.
Then my mind went sort of crazy. I thought about the shop in the
trailer idea. And what about a home theater/playroom for the kids? An
outdoor bathroom/shower/garden would be nice also. Any time you want
an addition, just pick up another trailer shell and turn it into
whatever you want. Window air conditioners and heaters could be run
only when you want them on. All that's missing is a garage where I
could put a lift.

At first, my ultra-practical wife considered it, but then she decided
that she likes real houses. So for now, that's where we are. If all
of IT gets sent to india or china though, I could easily see doing
something like this. She jokes that it's our destiny to end up on one
of these extreme homes shows.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On 5 Feb 2006 08:59:28 -0800, "brianlanning"
wrote:

[...]

... very interesting idea. I worked with a guy who had 8 kids; his
thought was to have a small home (dormitory really) with a large steel
building behind it, in which the kids and family could spend the day. Kind
of a gymnasium affair with nothing but 4 walls, concrete floor, heating,
lighting, and air conditioning.

Posted to rec.woodworking
brianlanning

... very interesting idea. I worked with a guy who had 8 kids; his
thought was to have a small home (dormitory really) with a large steel
building behind it, in which the kids and family could spend the day. Kind
of a gymnasium affair with nothing but 4 walls, concrete floor, heating,
lighting, and air conditioning.

We thought about something like that also. It would be a large square
building with a line of bedrooms down one wall with a large bath for
the kids. Our bed and bath would be at the far end of the building.
There would be a large kitchen in the middle with wrap around counters
where everyone would eat. The rest would be open space with polished
concrete floors. The wall opposite the bedrooms would be large sliding
glass doors where you could open that wall to the outside. The ceiling
would be the loft/warehouse unfinished look.

I thought about making a "livingroom platform" that was large and round
with casters. maybe 15 feet in diameter. On it would be couches, a
coffee table, and some sort of entertainment center. It would get
power and communications hookups from an umbilical cord hanging from
the ceiling. You could rotate it however you wanted, move it around or
out of the way for special events.

I also thought about a large computer desk that sort of served as an
office. 12' in diameter shaped like a large letter C. It would have a
large desk platform, with a higher platform over that for printers and
such (I have a lot of computer equipment). It would have the same
umbilical hookups and also be on casters. It would also have canvas
"curtains", like sails, that I could open or close as needed. When the
wall is opened up, I could wheel the computer desk/office outside.

I also thought up plans for movable walls. The wall would be maybe 10'
or 12' wide, as thick as a normal 2x4 stud wall, and on two 3' long
piece of 4x4 that run perpendicular to the wall. There would be cables
to tether them to the ceiling to prevent them from tipping. The walls
could be finished with t&g siding with pictures and artwork bolted in
place. I figure maybe a dozen of these could be in various places.
And they could stack up out of the way for big family gatherings.

Having a lot of kids really changes your attitudes and priorities.
We're shopping for a house at the moment. Our two biggest concerns are
whether or not we can easily block access to the kitchen by the little
kids, and whether or not we can easily convert the formal livingroom
and diningroom into bedrooms. I've got a lot of weird ideas about what
a family van should look like also. :-)

brian

Shop electrical safety designs Brett A. Thomas Woodworking 18 December 10th 04 07:45 AM
Cheap drills Simon Pleasants UK diy 11 June 22nd 04 12:17 AM
Refuge - Thoughts On Being In The Shop This Evening Tom Watson Woodworking 11 June 6th 04 03:42 AM
I'm pumped - my new shop is coming together tillius Woodworking 9 May 14th 04 04:12 PM
CLOSE CALL - SMOKE ALARM IN THE SHOP? T. Woodworking 47 December 6th 03 04:35 AM