Posted to rec.woodworking
Dukes909

Default Mold in the shop question

I sent a friend the pictures I posted in abpw of the shop cabinet I built.
He replied that it was his experience that if I don't have excellent
ventilation in the shop my magazines and books stored int he cabinet will
get moldy. My shop is a separate building heated only while I'm in there,
cooled the same, on a slab with insulation in the attic and walls, slab
floor. I use the Boeshield stuff on my tools as a precaution.

I haven't noticed any mold (fly droppings another matter)in the shop in the
2 years I've had it on any leftover lumber or papers etc. but I've not left
magazines, books in there for any length of time. Any thoughts on this?

Cheers!
Duke

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Dukes909" wrote in message
I sent a friend the pictures I posted in abpw of the shop cabinet I built.
He replied that it was his experience that if I don't have excellent
ventilation in the shop my magazines and books stored int he cabinet will
get moldy. My shop is a separate building heated only while I'm in

there,
cooled the same, on a slab with insulation in the attic and walls, slab
floor. I use the Boeshield stuff on my tools as a precaution.

I haven't noticed any mold (fly droppings another matter)in the shop in

the
2 years I've had it on any leftover lumber or papers etc. but I've not

left
magazines, books in there for any length of time. Any thoughts on this?

My garage is everything. It's my workshop, it's my bodyshop, it's my
service bay, at times we clear everything out of the way and jam in it, and
I park my cars in it. It's like yours - insulated, heated when I'm out
there, on a concrete slab. I'm in Central NY, and we get humid enough
weather here. I've had all kinds of wood, books, manuals, etc. in my garage
for years - a decade. No mold of any kind. Some mouse turds from time to
time, but no mold.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
professorpaul

That matches with my experience in a shop in a garage in New Jersey,
Pennsylvania, and now slower lower Delaware. I did put the books, etc.,
in a cabinet just to keep dirt from settling on them. No mold problems
either. We are about 3 miles from the Atlantic Ocean here, so tools do
have a good wipe-down of oil, as they can/will rust here.