Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Stock

Default Spans tables for smaller lumber?

I'd like to support 1000 lbs on a box frame 48"x18". Will 1x4 Ash (real 1x4)
support this weight with supports every 16" along the length? I suspect it
will, but I'd like to see the pudding.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I'd like to support 1000 lbs on a box frame 48"x18". Will 1x4 Ash (real
1x4) support this weight with supports every 16" along the length? I
suspect it will, but I'd like to see the pudding.

Aquarium stand?

Your problem lies not in support, but in bumping. Ash is pretty much
incompressible on its end, but it might flex and transfer enough of the load
in the 1" dimension to snap it along its length. Make your corners fully
glued L s and see if you can get a fully glued panel to maintain your back
and ends.

If you're an engineering type, you can find good data at
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Stock

"George" George@least wrote in message

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I'd like to support 1000 lbs on a box frame 48"x18". Will 1x4 Ash (real
1x4) support this weight with supports every 16" along the length? I
suspect it will, but I'd like to see the pudding.

Aquarium stand?

Yep.

Your problem lies not in support, but in bumping. Ash is pretty much
incompressible on its end, but it might flex and transfer enough of the
load in the 1" dimension to snap it along its length. Make your corners
fully glued L s and see if you can get a fully glued panel to maintain
your back and ends.

Thanks, doesn't really have to be Ash, but I thought it would offer the best
strength. I built the last one out of 2x4s with plywood veneer. It was
plenty strong, but difficult to square,as I don't have a Jointer (Yet).

I was planning on making the supports fully glued Ts, just offset enough to
let me recess the end panels flush with the 'face frame'.

If you're an engineering type, you can find good data at
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I'd like to support 1000 lbs on a box frame 48"x18". Will 1x4 Ash (real
1x4) support this weight with supports every 16" along the length? I
suspect it will, but I'd like to see the pudding.

Aquarium stand?

Yep.

One thing I'd recommend for you would be a drip edge of some sort
immediately under the tank. My old 55 had a metal frame (not too old, am
I?), so I just used a plastic oak-patterned molding immediately under it and
above the frame. Yours is probably plastic around the base, so you can use
a similar color. What you're after is something sloped and slick enough to
encourage slopped water to run away from the stand, rather than dribbling
down the wood itself. Gives you one more piece of protection for that
finish.

Remember, if there is a single spot where water can break through your best
urethane efforts, it'll find it, and lift an ugly white spot.

christmas cash Mark Hopkins Woodturning 4 November 5th 04 05:02 AM
Check out my new lumber auctions on Ebay Gary Woodworking 0 October 23rd 04 02:31 PM
Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 02:29 PM
NEW EXOTIC LUMBER STO HOMESHOP HARDWOODS LOWHITENER Woodworking 2 September 11th 03 10:20 PM