Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

Default Mini Sliding Miter Saw??

I was watching a Classic This Old House episode this morning. It showed a
house that was being worked on in Hawaii. There was a lot of discussion
about the unique, tropical building practices in the Island State.

Norm was cutting some wide boards to length. They actually would build
walls with just plywood or single boards. Yep, a 3/4" wall. They just toe
nailed it top and bottom. These wall had little structural strength.

What caught my eye was the little cutoff saw he used. It had two shiny tubes
like many sliding miter saws. But this saw was a mini saw, like the ones
used to cut plywood. I don't even think it could cut inch and a half stock.
It was quite small and looked very portable. Norm was cutting 1 X 8's with
it. I would think that it would only really be good for straight cuts.

Has anybody seen anything like this? And would it be a good tool to have?
My feelings is that anything that small would not be very durable. But it
would almost fit onto a toolbelt or into a toolbox.

Anyhow, I have never seen such a small cutoff saw. I wonder if it came from
another country and it was only sold in Hawaii.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Its an older Delta Saw buck.
They used to be the thing before the SCMS became the standard.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

Lee Michaels wrote:

Has anybody seen anything like this? And would it be a good tool to have?
My feelings is that anything that small would not be very durable. But it
would almost fit onto a toolbelt or into a toolbox.

Bosch?

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/bosch/1640vsk.htm?L+coastest+qlqf8943ffa5eba5+1138746101

Barry
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

"B a r r y" wrote

Lee Michaels wrote:

Has anybody seen anything like this? And would it be a good tool to
have? My feelings is that anything that small would not be very durable.
But it would almost fit onto a toolbelt or into a toolbox.

Bosch?

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/bosch/1640vsk.htm?L+coastest+qlqf8943ffa5eba5+1138746101

No, nothing like this. I have seen this tool in use by folks who install
baseboards and molding. It looks handy for certain applications.

The saw on the show was just like a standard sliding miter saw. But the saw
was about a third of the size of the standard saw. Again, it looked like
those little plywood saws. Maybe a three inch blade on it.