Posted to rec.woodworking
Martin Noakes

Default Drilling out hardened steel screws question

Hi all

I'm about to lift an Oak floor that has shrunk in order to re-lay it after
straightenin the boards.

Here's a picture one of the gaps!
http://www.songcity.co.uk/MyPictures/Floorboards1.jpg

Due to the shrinkage the screws have been bent over and I'm unable to
unscrew them.

The screws are hardened steel BZP and I wondered if anyone knew which type
of drill bit I would need to drill the heads off. I have a couple of
metalwork drills and they don't touch the screw heads.

Or maybe another suggestions/approach for unscrewing them.

Cheers

Martin

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom

www.baddogtools.com They drill thru brake rotors, files etc. Not
cheap, but I got a set at ww show and ended up needing it that very day
to remove a frozen shock mount bolt on wifes car. You will need a
small hole to get larger bit started.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Saudade

Martin Noakes wrote:
Hi all

I'm about to lift an Oak floor that has shrunk in order to re-lay it
after straightenin the boards.

Here's a picture one of the gaps!
http://www.songcity.co.uk/MyPictures/Floorboards1.jpg

Due to the shrinkage the screws have been bent over and I'm unable to
unscrew them.

The screws are hardened steel BZP and I wondered if anyone knew which
type of drill bit I would need to drill the heads off. I have a
couple of metalwork drills and they don't touch the screw heads.

Or maybe another suggestions/approach for unscrewing them.

Cheers

Martin

You need carbide drill bits (carbide tipped). You could try a bit big
enough to pop the head off but some threaded length may still grip the
board. I'm surprise the boards didn't split and bent the screws instead.

Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin

"Martin Noakes" wrote in message
Hi all

I'm about to lift an Oak floor that has shrunk in order to re-lay it after
straightenin the boards.

Here's a picture one of the gaps!
http://www.songcity.co.uk/MyPictures/Floorboards1.jpg

Due to the shrinkage the screws have been bent over and I'm unable to
unscrew them.

Can you post a picture of the screws in the flooring and if possible a
picture of just a screw?

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
Martin Noakes

Some have split!

Cheers for the advise

Martin

"Saudade" wrote in message
Martin Noakes wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Martin Noakes

Not at the moment as I haven't been able to unscrew any of them.

Cheers

Martin

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Martin Noakes" wrote in message
Hi all

I'm about to lift an Oak floor that has shrunk in order to re-lay it

after
straightenin the boards.

Here's a picture one of the gaps!
http://www.songcity.co.uk/MyPictures/Floorboards1.jpg

Due to the shrinkage the screws have been bent over and I'm unable to
unscrew them.

Can you post a picture of the screws in the flooring and if possible a
picture of just a screw?

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
John

It's not entirely clear from the photo but what are the floorboards
screwed into? Might it be possible to cut through that substrate, pull
up the floorboards, and then remove the still screwed on substrate piece
from the underside at your workbench?

Just a thought.

J.

Martin Noakes wrote:
Hi all

I'm about to lift an Oak floor that has shrunk in order to re-lay it after
straightenin the boards.

Here's a picture one of the gaps!
http://www.songcity.co.uk/MyPictures/Floorboards1.jpg

Due to the shrinkage the screws have been bent over and I'm unable to
unscrew them.

The screws are hardened steel BZP and I wondered if anyone knew which type
of drill bit I would need to drill the heads off. I have a couple of
metalwork drills and they don't touch the screw heads.

Or maybe another suggestions/approach for unscrewing them.

Cheers

Martin

Posted to rec.woodworking
Martin Noakes

They're screwed in to a softwood frame which is infilled with insulation
(jablite).

Cheers

Martin

Martin Noakes wrote:
Hi all

I'm about to lift an Oak floor that has shrunk in order to re-lay it

after
straightenin the boards.

Here's a picture one of the gaps!
http://www.songcity.co.uk/MyPictures/Floorboards1.jpg

Due to the shrinkage the screws have been bent over and I'm unable to
unscrew them.

The screws are hardened steel BZP and I wondered if anyone knew which

type
of drill bit I would need to drill the heads off. I have a couple of
metalwork drills and they don't touch the screw heads.

Or maybe another suggestions/approach for unscrewing them.

Cheers

Martin

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank K.

More thoughts.

A cobalt bit or try a reciprocating saw with a long, fine
tooth, bimetallic blade. If the bimetallic blade won't cut
the screws, get a diamond blade. Just lift the board enough
to get the blade under it and cut off the screws.

Frank

"Martin Noakes" wrote in message
Hi all

I'm about to lift an Oak floor that has shrunk in order to
re-lay it after
straightenin the boards.

Here's a picture one of the gaps!
http://www.songcity.co.uk/MyPictures/Floorboards1.jpg

Due to the shrinkage the screws have been bent over and
I'm unable to
unscrew them.

The screws are hardened steel BZP and I wondered if anyone
knew which type
of drill bit I would need to drill the heads off. I have a
couple of
metalwork drills and they don't touch the screw heads.

Or maybe another suggestions/approach for unscrewing them.

Cheers

Martin

Posted to rec.woodworking
Martin Noakes

I've looked through the screwfix brochure and they sell titanium tipped dril
bits would these be hard enough?

"Saudade" wrote in message
Martin Noakes wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Wilson

If they go into softwood, you may be able to drive them through. Then you
can plug the holes in the shop and start again. What's the width of the
gap? Was this wood dry? Could the framing be the problem? I'd also look
for a hollow bit, like a miniature holesaw, and drill around the screw.
I've seem them, but don't know the name. I doubt you'll be able to drill the
metal, but who knows. Maybe the miracle buts the sell at ww shows?
Wilson

Martin Noakes wrote:
Hi all

I'm about to lift an Oak floor that has shrunk in order to re-lay it
after
straightenin the boards.

Here's a picture one of the gaps!
http://www.songcity.co.uk/MyPictures/Floorboards1.jpg

Due to the shrinkage the screws have been bent over and I'm unable to
unscrew them.

The screws are hardened steel BZP and I wondered if anyone knew which
type
of drill bit I would need to drill the heads off. I have a couple of
metalwork drills and they don't touch the screw heads.

Or maybe another suggestions/approach for unscrewing them.

Cheers

Martin

Posted to rec.woodworking
Paul Franklin

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 16:37:25 -0000, "Martin Noakes"
wrote:

Hi all

I'm about to lift an Oak floor that has shrunk in order to re-lay it after
straightenin the boards.

Here's a picture one of the gaps!
http://www.songcity.co.uk/MyPictures/Floorboards1.jpg

Due to the shrinkage the screws have been bent over and I'm unable to
unscrew them.

The screws are hardened steel BZP and I wondered if anyone knew which type
of drill bit I would need to drill the heads off. I have a couple of
metalwork drills and they don't touch the screw heads.

Or maybe another suggestions/approach for unscrewing them.

Cheers

Martin

Perhaps this would work? Take a piece of 1/4 inch hollow steel
tubing. With a triangular file, file some teeth in one of the ends
(you are essentially making a 1/4 diameter hole saw without the center
bit). Chuck it in your drill and use it to bore down around the
outside of the screw, separating the screw from the plank. (You can
use a scrap with a 1/4 hole in it as a guide to get the bit started in
the right place, since it will tend to wander with no center bit.)
Once you have done this to all the screws, lift the plank off, and
remove the screws with pliers. The 1/4 holes in the planks can be
filled with wood plugs.

I've seen commercial versions of this tool for sale, but don't
remember where at the moment. It'll be slow going, but beats
destroying the floor to remove it.

HTH,

Paul

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
www.baddogtools.com They drill thru brake rotors, files etc. Not
cheap, but I got a set at ww show and ended up needing it that very day
to remove a frozen shock mount bolt on wifes car. You will need a
small hole to get larger bit started.

What's carbaloid?

Posted to rec.woodworking
hylourgos

I just read the same and was about to ask the same too. So ibid.

....and if it's anything like leatherette, I'll pass.

Posted to rec.woodworking
hylourgos

I take it this is not normal oak plank flooring you can get at the
flooring stores (pic did not look like normal T&G boards, anyway).
Floorboards are normally nailed for this very reason, among others, but
there may have been a good reason to use screws here.

Regardless, I would first try to screw them all the way through. If
that didn't work, a Sawzall with a long bi-metal blade would most
likely eat it and ask for more. Small hole saw is the last option,
because fitting many special-made plugs won't be fun.

Good luck and tell us how you do,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dhakala

Toller wrote:

What's carbaloid?

FUD for "carbide"

Posted to rec.woodworking
Sam

Martin Noakes wrote:
Or maybe another suggestions/approach for unscrewing them.

Try a crowbar. Maybe the screws will pull out of the softwood sleepers.
Sam

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

No better than HSS. They are not titanium (which would make a lousy drill
bit). They are HSS bits with a thin (.0001") titanium nitride coating.

"Martin Noakes" wrote in message
I've looked through the screwfix brochure and they sell titanium tipped

dril
bits would these be hard enough?

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

If regular HSS won't do it, cobalt won't either.

"Frank K." wrote in message
More thoughts.

A cobalt bit or try a reciprocating saw with a long, fine
tooth, bimetallic blade. If the bimetallic blade won't cut
the screws, get a diamond blade. Just lift the board enough
to get the blade under it and cut off the screws.

Work holding for drilling question Alex Metalworking 2 January 13th 06 11:01 PM
steel swing gate question RHGrafix Metalworking 9 November 3rd 05 05:18 PM
Brass plated steel machine screws, anyone? [email protected] Woodworking 9 January 24th 05 03:34 AM
drilling steel? Dave UK diy 26 October 29th 03 03:03 PM
drilling steel? Dave Metalworking 29 October 29th 03 03:03 PM