Posted to rec.woodworking
Martin Noakes

Default Drilling out hardened steel screws question

I've looked through the screwfix brochure and they sell titanium tipped dril
bits would these be hard enough?

"Saudade" wrote in message
Martin Noakes wrote:
Hi all

I'm about to lift an Oak floor that has shrunk in order to re-lay it
after straightenin the boards.

Here's a picture one of the gaps!
http://www.songcity.co.uk/MyPictures/Floorboards1.jpg

Due to the shrinkage the screws have been bent over and I'm unable to
unscrew them.

The screws are hardened steel BZP and I wondered if anyone knew which
type of drill bit I would need to drill the heads off. I have a
couple of metalwork drills and they don't touch the screw heads.

Or maybe another suggestions/approach for unscrewing them.

Cheers

Martin

You need carbide drill bits (carbide tipped). You could try a bit big
enough to pop the head off but some threaded length may still grip the
board. I'm surprise the boards didn't split and bent the screws instead.