Posted to rec.woodworking
Wilson

Default Drilling out hardened steel screws question

If they go into softwood, you may be able to drive them through. Then you
can plug the holes in the shop and start again. What's the width of the
gap? Was this wood dry? Could the framing be the problem? I'd also look
for a hollow bit, like a miniature holesaw, and drill around the screw.
I've seem them, but don't know the name. I doubt you'll be able to drill the
metal, but who knows. Maybe the miracle buts the sell at ww shows?
Wilson
"John" wrote in message
It's not entirely clear from the photo but what are the floorboards
screwed into? Might it be possible to cut through that substrate, pull up
the floorboards, and then remove the still screwed on substrate piece from
the underside at your workbench?

Just a thought.

J.

Martin Noakes wrote:
Hi all

I'm about to lift an Oak floor that has shrunk in order to re-lay it
after
straightenin the boards.

Here's a picture one of the gaps!
http://www.songcity.co.uk/MyPictures/Floorboards1.jpg

Due to the shrinkage the screws have been bent over and I'm unable to
unscrew them.

The screws are hardened steel BZP and I wondered if anyone knew which
type
of drill bit I would need to drill the heads off. I have a couple of
metalwork drills and they don't touch the screw heads.

Or maybe another suggestions/approach for unscrewing them.

Cheers

Martin