Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Default Resaw question

Dave wrote:

I have a question for resawing. Which side of the blade do you have
your resaw piece? If you have a 4/4 board and you resaw 1/8" piece,
would this piece be located between the blade and the fence or would it
be on the outside of the blade opposite the fence? I have seen videos
where people have done it both ways. Is one way better/safer than the
other or is it just personal preference?

Dave

I keep the wider portion against the fence. it's awkward for me to do
it the opposite way and if that method is common, I can't see why!

dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Brooks Moses

David wrote:
Dave wrote:
I have a question for resawing. Which side of the blade do you have
your resaw piece? If you have a 4/4 board and you resaw 1/8" piece,
would this piece be located between the blade and the fence or would it
be on the outside of the blade opposite the fence? I have seen videos
where people have done it both ways. Is one way better/safer than the
other or is it just personal preference?

I keep the wider portion against the fence. it's awkward for me to do
it the opposite way and if that method is common, I can't see why!

A couple of advantages of having the thin portion against the fence: if
you're doing multiple pieces at the same thickness, you don't have to
readjust the fence, and also you don't have to worry about whether or
not the sides of the board are parallel -- all the taper ends up on the
away-from-the-fence piece.

- Brooks

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Barnett

Brooks Moses writes:

A couple of advantages of having the thin portion against the fence:
if you're doing multiple pieces at the same thickness, you don't have
to readjust the fence, and also you don't have to worry about whether
or not the sides of the board are parallel -- all the taper ends up on
the away-from-the-fence piece.

On the other hand, errors propagate. If you don't make errors, then
you have no problem. :-) YMMV

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Dave" wrote in message
I have a question for resawing. Which side of the blade do you have
your resaw piece?

I get the best results in both resawing, and in sanding/planing/jointing the
resultant resawn surfaces, by always putting a jointed surface against the
fence.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Dave wrote:
I have a question for resawing. Which side of the blade do you have
your resaw piece? If you have a 4/4 board and you resaw 1/8" piece,
would this piece be located between the blade and the fence or would it
be on the outside of the blade opposite the fence? I have seen videos
where people have done it both ways. Is one way better/safer than the
other or is it just personal preference?

From the responses, it appears to be entirely dependent upon whether you
are Catholic, Protestant, or (in re Swingman's) agnostic.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Enoch Root" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
I have a question for resawing. Which side of the blade do you have
your resaw piece? If you have a 4/4 board and you resaw 1/8" piece,
would this piece be located between the blade and the fence or would it
be on the outside of the blade opposite the fence? I have seen videos
where people have done it both ways. Is one way better/safer than the
other or is it just personal preference?

From the responses, it appears to be entirely dependent upon whether you
are Catholic, Protestant, or (in re Swingman's) agnostic.

I'm right-handed, so I prefer to direct the board with my right hand, using
my clumsy left to hold it to the pivot block on the right of the blade. I
rather suspect that the owner/user of a premade fence prefers it on the
other side, where it's stored out of the way.

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM