Posted to rec.woodworking
Martin Noakes

Default Re-laying Oak floor boards question.

Hi all

In the next month or so I am going to lift the foor boards in the lounge and
straighten the edges and then re-lay them.

My question is this would you do it any other way?

I'm planning to take each floorboard Screw a straight edge on to the back of
the floorboard and then run a router up against the straight edge to give me
a nice edge. Then working from the other side of the straight edge I will
straighten up the other edge.

This will enable me to screw the straight edge onto the board whilst working
on it and when it's removed the holes will be on the underside of the board.

Any suggestions on making sure that the following board is the same width
would be welcome. I'm currently planning to measure and use the straight
edge technique on all boards. Is there a better way?

Here's a link to a picture for you to see the type of problem I have.

http://www.songcity.co.uk/MyPictures/Floorboards1.jpg The largest part of
the gap is about 1 inch

Many thanks for any replys.

Martin

Posted to rec.woodworking
Josh

Do you have a table saw? After you straighten one edge, you can rip
all the boards to equal width on the TS.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Martin Noakes

Not at the moment, but I'm prepared to buy one if I need to.

Cheers

Martin

"Josh" wrote in message
ups.com...
Do you have a table saw? After you straighten one edge, you can rip
all the boards to equal width on the TS.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Bud

Josh wrote:
Do you have a table saw? After you straighten one edge, you can rip
all the boards to equal width on the TS.

Wouldn't you have to mill all the T&G after that?

Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Martin Noakes wrote:
Hi all

In the next month or so I am going to lift the foor boards in the
lounge and straighten the edges and then re-lay them.

My question is this would you do it any other way?

I'm planning to take each floorboard Screw a straight edge on to the
back of the floorboard and then run a router up against the straight
edge to give me a nice edge. Then working from the other side of the
straight edge I will straighten up the other edge.

This will enable me to screw the straight edge onto the board whilst
working on it and when it's removed the holes will be on the
underside of the board.

Any suggestions on making sure that the following board is the same
width would be welcome. I'm currently planning to measure and use the
straight edge technique on all boards. Is there a better way?

Any tool that will index one side from the other would work. That
includes table saws, planers, drum sanders, etc. However, you would
either have to do all boards at one time or set up the tool and not
change it until all were done if you were doing a few at a time.

You could also do it with a hand router with a bearing bit and a
template of the desired width.

Keep in mind that commercial, solid wood floor boards do *NOT* touch
adjacent boards except for a small area at the tops; i.e., the edges are
not perpendicular to the faces.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Martin Noakes

Fantastic tips

thank you for that

Martin

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Martin Noakes wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Juergen Hannappel

"Locutus" writes:

"dadiOH" wrote in message

Keep in mind that commercial, solid wood floor boards do *NOT* touch
adjacent boards except for a small area at the tops; i.e., the edges are
not perpendicular to the faces.

Why is that?

To cope with expansion of the board if they get more humid.

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
Question laying ceramic tiles on ktchen countertops Al Kondo Home Repair 3 February 21st 05 08:33 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM