Posted to rec.woodworking
handhillsrancher

Default How flat for laminate countertops?

After I glued the oak edging to two layers of G1S fir plywood for a
countertop, I attempted to level the oak a little finer with my trusty
belt sander and made a mess of the plywood. It looks good but you can
feel the undulations where the softer wood of the plywood was sanded
more than the rest. What product can anyone recommend for 'releveling'
the plywood face before the installation of plastic laminate?

Posted to rec.woodworking
chuck

handhillsrancher wrote:
After I glued the oak edging to two layers of G1S fir plywood for a
countertop, I attempted to level the oak a little finer with my trusty
belt sander and made a mess of the plywood. It looks good but you can
feel the undulations where the softer wood of the plywood was sanded
more than the rest. What product can anyone recommend for 'releveling'
the plywood face before the installation of plastic laminate?

You could use Bondo. There is an inexpensive product that mixes with
water and is used to level floor surfaces prior to application of tile.
I've used that successfully also.

Chuck
Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

I attempted to level the oak a little finer with my trusty belt sander and made a mess of the plywood.

Sounds to me like a great excuse to buy a Lee Valley Low-Angle block
plane - can't let that happen again! In answer to your question, I'd
agree with bondo, or a thick layer of wood putty, HAND-sanded flat with
a good backer block.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rick Samuel

Durham rock hard, thin

Posted to rec.woodworking
chuck

chuck wrote:

You could use Bondo. There is an inexpensive product that mixes with
water and is used to level floor surfaces prior to application of
tile. I've used that successfully also.

Chuck

I know of nothing that contact cement will NOT stick to (except maybe
Teflon or wax paper -- haven't tried that yet.). We're talking small
change here, so by all means experiment and verify before installation.

Good luck.

Chuck