Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Acrylic Source for Hess Truck Display

I would like to make some wooden display cases that would display
individual Hess trucks. The wooden bases are the easy part; finding a
glass or acrylic top is the challenging part. Any idea where I could
get a wholesale source for these? Thanks. Rick.

Posted to rec.woodworking
ATP*

wrote in message
ups.com...
I would like to make some wooden display cases that would display
individual Hess trucks. The wooden bases are the easy part; finding a
glass or acrylic top is the challenging part. Any idea where I could
get a wholesale source for these? Thanks. Rick.

try the yellow pages or thomasregister.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob AZ

Michaels sometimes has things like this. And sometimes Walmart.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

finding a glass or acrylic top is the challenging part. Any idea where I could
get a wholesale source for these?

Depending on how "wholesale" you need, HD or Lowes should have 1/8"
clear acrylic sheets - they're sold as replacements for window glass,
so they have sheets of several square feet each. I got a small one for
making picture frames, and it cost more than plate glass, but still
reasonable IMO - maybe $5 for maybe 3 sq feet. Hope this helps,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

Andy wrote:
finding a glass or acrylic top is the challenging part. Any idea where I could

get a wholesale source for these?

Depending on how "wholesale" you need, HD or Lowes should have 1/8"
clear acrylic sheets - they're sold as replacements for window glass,
so they have sheets of several square feet each.

The stiffer of those sheets can be nicely glued together edge-to-edge
(aquarium style) or inserted into an attractive, cube-shaped frame.
Depending on the look desired, the frames could be made of wood, brass,
or even "lead" caning use with stained glass. For a true fine furniture
or museum look you could also use actual glass, maybe even beveled.

Hiring a shop to make blow molded or preassembled acrylic tops would
probably require a minimum of at least a few hundred parts to justify
setup costs.

Barry

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rick:

get a wholesale source for these? Thanks. Rick.

I was in a Containers Store recently and they had lots of plexiglass
boxes
for storage. Possibly one of them, cut to fit, might work. They also
had display cases for sports memorabilia - like basketballs, gloves,
etc.

Look in the yellowpages or on-line.

Good hunting!

MJ Wallace