Posted to rec.woodworking
Denis Glover

Default Recommended scroll saws

HI,
I'm a newbie to this site and need some advise.
Can anyone recommend a good scroll saw? I.ve decided it would be easier to
use a scroll saw when cutting windows etc in dolls houses I make.

Thanks for any recommendations and advise on things I should look for when
chosing a scrool saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Mahanke

I agree. Dewalt licensed the Excaliber design and painted it yellow - great
saw for the money.

"tdup2" wrote in message
news
The best for the money in my opinion is the Dewalt.

"Denis Glover" wrote in message
.uk...
HI,
I'm a newbie to this site and need some advise.
Can anyone recommend a good scroll saw? I.ve decided it would be easier
to use a scroll saw when cutting windows etc in dolls houses I make.

Thanks for any recommendations and advise on things I should look for

when
chosing a scrool saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 22:23:44 GMT, "Denis Glover"
wrote:

HI,
I'm a newbie to this site and need some advise.
Can anyone recommend a good scroll saw? I.ve decided it would be easier to
use a scroll saw when cutting windows etc in dolls houses I make.

Thanks for any recommendations and advise on things I should look for when
chosing a scrool saw.

The differences between a cheap saw and a good one are mainly two
things, vibration and blade movement. The latter affects the quality
of the cut, the former affects how long you can stand to use the
sucker and whether any pieces you have on the saw table vibrate their
way to the floor. I just got the Dewalt recently. The Delta 40-680
is similarly priced, actually cheaper if you buy the Dewalt stand
instead of make your own. The Delta is heavier which is usually a
good thing. If you want to be able to pick it up and store it when
not in use you don't really want anything heavier than the Dewalt.

For smaller stuff like doll house parts the Dewalt might be overkill.
You might have a look at MicroLux (Micromark.com) or Proxxon for
smaller saws. I don't have any personal experience with either.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking
www

"Denis Glover" wrote in message
.uk...
HI,
I'm a newbie to this site and need some advise.
Can anyone recommend a good scroll saw? I.ve decided it would be easier

use a scroll saw when cutting windows etc in dolls houses I make.

Thanks for any recommendations and advise on things I should look for when
chosing a scrool saw.

Other posters here have recommended some of the bigger, more expensive saws,
which are great!
But if you are only looking for a cheap saw, the Delta SS250/350 models are
not too bad for light work.
Here's a review of the Delta SS250
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/deltass250.htm

As long as you clamp/bolt it down to something solid, she works great!

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Ryobi One+ Cordless Tool System
- Festool CT Mini Dust Extractor
- Kreg K3 Pocket Hole Joinery System
- Incra Miter Express
- Book: Scroll Saw Fundamentals
- Ryobi BT3100K Table Saw System

Scroll Saws - who are the top brands RzB Woodworking 20 January 30th 06 10:01 PM
scroll saws Joonie Woodworking 3 October 29th 04 03:51 AM
Looking at scroll saws Roy Smith Woodworking 2 May 7th 04 12:31 AM
Laser pointer use in scroll saws. Alan McLean Woodturning 2 September 17th 03 01:22 AM
Are jig, sabre, and scroll saws the same? GTO69RA4 Woodworking 6 August 9th 03 08:01 PM