Alan McLean

Default Laser pointer use in scroll saws.

I wouod appreciate any comments on the following .

I am cutting 2nd and 3rd generation narrow laminates on a scroll saw.

If I position a laser pointer at the rear of the scroll saw blade so
that it throws a shadow on the laminate ( the narrowest shadow should
indicate alignment) and the shadow is bisected by my premarked point
on the laminate then I should be right.

I am only cutting straight lines so the initial positioning of the
blade is important (assuming my fence guide is accurate).

Yes, I am aware I could use a good cut off saw etc. but as I am using
narrow laminates then I lose a lot of detail (apart from wood).

Query. Is there sufficient width/power from a standard laser pointer
to throw a good shadow? Is it feasible?

I have seen uses in the past on lathes but not in this case

Regards
Alan
Scratch Ankle Wood

I don't know about the laser but have you actually used a fence for cutting
with the scroll saw? I have never had any luck when I have tried that. I
tried because I didn't believe all the experts who said it was a waste of
time and just knew it had to work. I'm now one of those who says it can't
be done. If it works for you, what is your set up so it does?

"Alan McLean" wrote in message
I wouod appreciate any comments on the following .

I am cutting 2nd and 3rd generation narrow laminates on a scroll saw.

If I position a laser pointer at the rear of the scroll saw blade so
that it throws a shadow on the laminate ( the narrowest shadow should
indicate alignment) and the shadow is bisected by my premarked point
on the laminate then I should be right.

I am only cutting straight lines so the initial positioning of the
blade is important (assuming my fence guide is accurate).

Yes, I am aware I could use a good cut off saw etc. but as I am using
narrow laminates then I lose a lot of detail (apart from wood).

Query. Is there sufficient width/power from a standard laser pointer
to throw a good shadow? Is it feasible?

I have seen uses in the past on lathes but not in this case

Regards
Alan

Gerald Ross

Scroll saws, like bandsaws, seldom cut straight ahead. You have to find
the way it wants to saw and allow it to do it's thing. That being said,
you possibly could use a laser as long as you adjusted it so it pointed
the way it wants to go. Then it might be different with the next blade
you used.

--

Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA