Junior Member

Default Burnt Oak Kitchen Work Surface - Help!

My housemate placed a hot pan on our oak worktop. Now there is a large black burn mark on the surface. Should we sand it down and revarnish? Called in a french polisher and he quoted a ridiculous amount and also said that the mark would still be noticeable. Can someone tell me if his is likely?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Arthur

A "Worktop" should be a surface to work on not a surface subject to
scratches or burnmarks. You might consider using Formica or even Stone.
If you go through the expense of reworking the Oak and varnishing it it will
still be subject to abrasion or heat.
Hardly a worktop.

--
total novice

Posted to rec.woodworking
loutent

In article , total novice
wrote:

My housemate placed a hot pan on our oak worktop. Now there is a large
black
burn mark on the surface. Should we sand it down and revarnish?

Called in a
french polisher and he quoted a ridiculous amount and also

said that the mark
would still be noticeable. Can someone tell me if

his is likely?

--
total
novice

Here's what I'd do (YMMV):

Buy a circular piece of stone/granite
or whatever that is slightly larger than
the burn mark.

Route out a circle about 1/32 or so larger
than the stone (and about 1/8 inch less deep).

Drop in the stone.

Walk away.

Lou

PS: You will never like the sanding/varnishing/
refinishing - it will never look right.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 17:32:16 +0000, total novice
wrote:

My housemate placed a hot pan on our oak worktop. Now there is a large
black burn mark on the surface. Should we sand it down and revarnish?
Called in a french polisher and he quoted a ridiculous amount and also
said that the mark would still be noticeable. Can someone tell me if
his is likely?

If you sand the whole thing down enough it will be gone. Don't go
crazy just sanding that one spot or you'll have a depression there.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bugs

If you have, or can find someone with a match cutting inlay router,
find a nice piece of contrasting hardwood [Maple, Cherry]? and make a
1/4" thick decorative inlay over the burnt area. A leaf would make a
nice pattern, or a dog, or . .?
Bugs

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Peterson

You could use a torch and char the rest of the surface to match, then sand
smooth and finish. It will be darker, but will look nice and will be
slightly more tolerant of setting hot things on it.

steve

"Bugs" wrote in message
oups.com...
If you have, or can find someone with a match cutting inlay router,
find a nice piece of contrasting hardwood [Maple, Cherry]? and make a
1/4" thick decorative inlay over the burnt area. A leaf would make a
nice pattern, or a dog, or . .?
Bugs

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Berger

Formica scratches and burns just fine.

While stone or slate might not show damage, just about
anything else will if subjected to intense heat. The
idea is to keep people from doing things like that in the
first place.