Posted to rec.woodworking
O D

Default Drill press floor model

Had the B&D engineering gotten to the delta drill press yet? One other
question....
You have $400 for a floor drill press
what one do YOU buy.......
Shop Fox or the delta?

Posted to rec.woodworking
TeamCasa

"O D" wrote in message
Had the B&D engineering gotten to the delta drill press yet? One other
question....
You have $400 for a floor drill press
what one do YOU buy.......
Shop Fox or the delta?

I like the Delta

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Squarei4dtoolguy

O D wrote:
You have $400 for a floor drill press
what one do YOU buy.......
Shop Fox or the delta?

I have the Delta, I like it too. I've had it 12 years now. No problems
other than belts. They aren't really a problem though. They're just the
only part I've been able to wear out. I've looked at the Shop Fox. I
kind of like it too. The RPM range is wider.

If I had to buy another one tomorrow, I'd go right back to the Delta. A
2 year warranty that you will probably never need, a reputation for
woodworking tools, Delta., Yep. It matches my other bluish-gray tools
in the glow of the flourecent T-8s too.

Tom in KY, You might look at a Grizzly,,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gary

"Squarei4dtoolguy" wrote

I have the Delta, I like it too. I've had it 12 years now.
No problems other than belts.

Has anyone tried sustituting automotive fan belts for the plain rubber
V-Belts used on most shop tools? They cost a little less than double, but
seem to last a lot longer.

Cheers!

Gary

Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 18:34:08 -0500, O D wrote:

Had the B&D engineering gotten to the delta drill press yet? One other
question....
You have $400 for a floor drill press
what one do YOU buy.......
Shop Fox or the delta?

I'm in the same position (have some bonus money coming that SHMBO says
are mine to spend - she likes the work I've done to the house lately
but will go with the Shop Fox. I looked at the equivalent Delta recently
but liked a friend's Shop Fox better. Even the Jet, in the same class,
looked better. The Delta didn't impress me at all. ...but what do I know?

--
Keith

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Banes

I swapped in Power Twist link belts on my Jet DP and it made a
significant difference in vibration. How they'll last I don't know, as
they only have 6 months of occasional use so far.

Biggest swap out was the chuck. The original owner got a replacement
from Jet when the first one had excessive run out. He said the new one
was much better and it ran out .008 at 1" from the chuck! Jeez! My
repacement is .001 at 1" and just feels a lot smoother and doesn't
wander at entry even with twist bits. Albrecht makes good chucks!

Regards.

Tom

Has anyone tried sustituting automotive fan belts for the plain rubber
V-Belts used on most shop tools? They cost a little less than double, but
seem to last a lot longer.

Cheers!

Gary

Posted to rec.woodworking
John B

Gary wrote:
"Squarei4dtoolguy" wrote

I have the Delta, I like it too. I've had it 12 years now.
No problems other than belts.

Has anyone tried sustituting automotive fan belts for the plain rubber
V-Belts used on most shop tools? They cost a little less than double, but
seem to last a lot longer.

Cheers!

Gary

G'day Gary,
Yep, sure have. As you say they save a few bob and do last longer. They
are also much more readily available. The only problem I had was fitting
one to my lathe. Couldn't get a belt short enough, so a few extra holes
so as to mount the engine lower and bob's ya auntie.

regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Berger

I have the Delta and I'm happy with it. My alternative was the
comparable Jet, which also looked good. I liked the Delta table
better.

O D wrote:
Had the B&D engineering gotten to the delta drill press yet? One other
question....
You have $400 for a floor drill press
what one do YOU buy.......
Shop Fox or the delta?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lenny

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 05:17:04 GMT, John B
wrote:

Gary wrote:
"Squarei4dtoolguy" wrote

I have the Delta, I like it too. I've had it 12 years now.
No problems other than belts.

snip

I question whether a Delta bought today is the same as the one you
bought twelve years ago ? Maybe it is ..... I just wonder ?
We have the Delta (Taiwan), purchased about 2 years ago to replace one
(also Delta but made in the USA) that was probably 20 years old.

Had trouble with the first chuck, got a replacement that was fine.
Overall the drill has performed well, no real complaints. I will say
though that Grizzly has one of the best parts service I have had
experience with, quick and very helpful. YMMV

Lenny
Posted to rec.woodworking
Drew Eckhardt

In article ,
O D wrote:
Had the B&D engineering gotten to the delta drill press yet? One other
question....
You have $400 for a floor drill press
what one do YOU buy.......

Not another Delta 17-965.

.001" runout. Seems well-built.

BUT the first motor I had vibrated so badly that wood would walk off the table.
A link-belt ($25) was needed to make the tool useable.

Delta customer support was helpful and back-ordered a second motor for me
which took a couple months to get in stock. It vibrates less but has an
audible rattle when run vertically as installed in the drill-press.

--
a href="http://www.poohsticks.org/drew/"Home Page/a
In 1913 the inflation adjusted (in 2003 dollars) exemption for single people
Posted to rec.woodworking
O D

Thank you all for your input. However I did not follow my own choices .
Went to woodcrafter in clearwater and bought the Jet. $399 minus 10%
minus $25 rebate. Think the rebates gimmick should go though. Give back
money they overcharged in the first place. We are hooked on rebates
now. Cannot get off this addiction. Again thanks.