Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Question about bathroom vanity

I have a 50" x 24" 3/4" thick piece of glass that I'm going to use as
a top on a bathroom vanity. The only question is what kind of vanity to
build for it to sit on.

I'm thinking about making a frame and bolting it to the wall and
setting the glass on top of it. Something like the top part in this
pictu
http://www.lineaaqua.net/shop/LineaA...206-c-261.html

My question is how would you make the frame? I don't know what the
glass weighs, but it is pretty heavy. I'm guessing around 100 pounds or
so. The sink is going to sit on top of it, so another 20 pounds or so.

I was thinking about buying some kind of hardwood (cherry maybe?),
making a rectangle out of it a little smaller than the glass, and
bolting it to the studs in the wall. At 50", I should have 3 studs to
bolt it to, correct?

What kind of thickness for the cherry? I'm assuming I'll have to fasten
some boards together to make the frame thick enough to hold that kind
of weight.

Would you countersink bolts through the cherry into the wall studs? Is
there some other kind of fastener that would work better?

How wide should the board against the wall be? How many bolts per stud?

If you see something obvious I'm missing or some reason I shouldn't do
this, please speak up.

Thanks,
--Michael

bathroom and washing machine GFCI question Jason Home Repair 8 October 21st 05 10:02 PM
Bathroom Vanity Rob V Woodworking 0 June 10th 05 05:26 PM
Bathroom vanity top stain Liz Home Repair 4 February 1st 05 02:24 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Bathroom floor question Scott Home Repair 3 November 15th 04 02:08 PM