Scott

Default Bathroom floor question

I remodeled my bathroom a couple years back. I'm happy with most of it, but
I really screwed the floor up.

I tried to lay tile. I made several mistakes here. I was told it was ok to
put it down right on top of the linoleum. It has always floated around.

The big problem though is around the toilet. The ring that holds the
plumbing for the toilet had rotted. I thought I was being smart and bought
another ring, cut it, and slipped it behind the base (to keep the base from
slipping below the floor line. I have always had trouble keeping it sealed,
since.

I'm ready to make the big commitment. I'm ready to rip out the floor, rip
out the toilet, cut and reinstall the plumbing if I have to.

Is there a way around not cutting out and reinstalling a new base for the
toilet?

When I install a new floor, should the toilet attach to the sub floor and
the flooring come up to the already mounted toilet, or should I mount the
toilet onto the new flooring (I'm thinking of tile or a floating wood)?

Any help is appreciated.

Scott

Colbyt

"Scott" wrote in message
[...]

You will need to repair any failed wood substrate, add a new flange and do
your floor-covering.
Most modern toilets mount to the flange. You say your flange was rotten so
that makes me think you had a metal one. Is the pipe blow the flange lead or
plastic pipe? Or how old is the plumbing? A little more detail from you and
one or more people will post help.

I will add that if your wooden floor is not rotten there is a repair flange
available at full service plumbing stores that works fairly well.

Colbyt

Scott

Yes, the outer flange was metal. It looked like it was to sit at the very
lip of the flange. The rest of it is plastic. It didn't really sit flush
though. It is above the level of the floor. The plumbing is about 15 years
old. There is some bad wood there, but there was enough (at last glance,
that everything was still secure and firm.

I'm still confused on whether the toilet (and flange) will sit on top of the
ceramic tile or floating wood floor, or whether it will all mount directly
to the substrate and the tiling (or floating floor) will then bump up
against the toilet.

Thanks
Scott

You will need to repair any failed wood substrate, add a new flange and do
your floor-covering.
Most modern toilets mount to the flange. You say your flange was rotten so
that makes me think you had a metal one. Is the pipe blow the flange lead
or
plastic pipe? Or how old is the plumbing? A little more detail from you
and
one or more people will post help.

I will add that if your wooden floor is not rotten there is a repair
flange
available at full service plumbing stores that works fairly well.

Colbyt

John Hines

"Scott" wrote:

Yes, the outer flange was metal. It looked like it was to sit at the very
lip of the flange. The rest of it is plastic. It didn't really sit flush
though. It is above the level of the floor. The plumbing is about 15 years
old. There is some bad wood there, but there was enough (at last glance,
that everything was still secure and firm.

I'm still confused on whether the toilet (and flange) will sit on top of the
ceramic tile or floating wood floor, or whether it will all mount directly
to the substrate and the tiling (or floating floor) will then bump up
against the toilet.

The flange sits on the sub-floor where it is securely anchored. The
tile is cut around the flange, but where it will be covered by the
toilet.

If the plumbing and sub-floor, is a-ok, you should be able to refloor or
clean the bath simply by pulling the toilet off, and you have full
access to the floor material.

Bathroom fans improperly vented jeff Home Repair 11 June 4th 04 06:30 PM
Bathroom Mirror. Terry Home Repair 2 May 2nd 04 11:42 PM
Wood Floor in Bathroom Rob Gray Home Repair 5 February 23rd 04 05:28 AM
Ventilation Problem in Bathroom Paula Home Ownership 5 October 11th 03 09:29 AM