Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sorry guys, I know you don't care about my neighbor's logging business,but,

Trees are dying all over the place in KY. Lumbermen are filling quotas
and keeping us supplied with wood to work with. So, it's sorta' on
topic. Besides, The death count dude is at it again. I just thought I'd
cheer you up with some news about things dying, that will eventually
make us some money. Or some dang fine furniture!

Tom in KY, Not hard to find.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Kevin L. Bowling

Why are trees dying all over the place? I thought it was just a thing with
the pines. Went to the Smokies a few years ago and there was nary a (living)
pine to be seen. They were bringing in lady bugs to fight (?) whatever was
killing them. On the way back home I noticed a lot of dead and dying pines
in the southern part of Ky.

Kevin

Posted to rec.woodworking

Kevin L. Bowling wrote:
Why are trees dying all over the place?

Chainsaws,

Seriously, I don't know. We had a terribly dry summer here in Western
Ky. That may have a little to do with it. Good Lord, I don't think we
need any more Lady bugs. We get over-run with them every spring. I've
heard recently of a blight that may affect some of the trees. Indiana
has done some mass cutting to try to slow it down. I'll post any
information I hear about that in the coming months.

Tom in KY, Be careful sir, you may be sitting in the middle of a flame.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Default Sorry guys, I know you don't care about my neighbor's loggingb...

Wed, Jan 11, 2006, 6:57pm (EST-3) doth
burbleth:
snip Seriously, I don't know. snip

Then why don't you ask the Forestry Service?

JOAT
You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear".
What do you "know"?
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss

Kevin L. Bowling wrote:
: Why are trees dying all over the place? I thought it was just a thing with
: the pines.

Nope. There are at least two other major problems: Asian longhorn beetles,
which threaten all the maples and some other hardwoods, have infested
Central Park and a number of other places. If they spread widely, goodby
maple syrup and lumber.

And there's a blight affecting oaks in the West called sudden oak
death, caused by a fungus. It's already killed many thousands of trees.

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:
Wed, Jan 11, 2006, 6:57pm (EST-3) doth
burbleth:
snip Seriously, I don't know. snip

Then why don't you ask the Forestry Service?

I'll call them in the morning. I promise, I'll e-mail you as soon as I
find an answer!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
Andrew Barss wrote:

Nope. There are at least two other major problems: Asian longhorn beetles,
which threaten all the maples and some other hardwoods, have infested
Central Park and a number of other places. If they spread widely, goodby
maple syrup and lumber.

And there's a blight affecting oaks in the West called sudden oak
death, caused by a fungus. It's already killed many thousands of trees.

There is (or was just a couple years ago) a wide-spread Dogwood blight
in the southeast. Plus, currently a Pine Bark Beetle infestation in the
Ponderosas of the southwest.

I think much of this has to do with the hand of man. Areas have
experienced notable changes in climate with certain diseases and
parasites flourishing. Then consider that nature's cleansing method of
fire has been, and will be, severely inhibited. Under these
circumstances, the course of a disease or infestation may be the
regional loss of the host tree species. In my opinion, these die-offs
will continue for quite some time with new ones cropping up fairly
frequently.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
Posted to rec.woodworking
GeeDubb

wrote in message
oups.com...

J T wrote:
Wed, Jan 11, 2006, 6:57pm (EST-3) doth
burbleth:
snip Seriously, I don't know. snip

Then why don't you ask the Forestry Service?

I'll call them in the morning. I promise, I'll e-mail you as soon as I
find an answer!

NO, post it here so we can all send JT the email.

Gary