Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Default O/T: I Vent My Spleen

Tonight I weep for the miner's families in West Virgina who have lost
loved ones in this latest mine disaster.

According to reports, lots of major safety violations that were not
corrected at this mine.

Due to the current political environment, that doesn't surprise me.

They don't call this place "West By God" for nothing.

Less than 2 million people inhabit this state.

Proud people live here, most trapped here by economics as well as a love
of the place they call home.

Most are destined to work the mines.

There are few other jobs that will support a family.

I once called on the mines, both deep and strip.

Got as close as the entrance, which was close enough.

Don't think I would have had the guts to go down into the mine.

As far as strip mining is concerned, take a look at a typical drag line,
say "Little Egypt" which has operated in SE Ohio for years.

What the strip mines have done to the once fertile lands of SE Ohio, is
quite another matter.

When the news came in that all but one miner had perished, it brought
back memories of times past.

From 1946-1950, We were returning to a peace time economy, Truman was
president, John L Lewis was the bushy eyebrowed leader of the United
Mine Workers, and reports of miners being trapped down in a mine were
not uncommon.

Pennsylvania, West Virgina, Kentucky, Southern Illinois, the location
made no difference, they all claimed miners.

The results were predictable. The miners bodies were recovered, seldom
rescued.

People would then forget about the disaster, and put another shovel of
coal on the fire.

During this period, coal was king. It was the energy source of choice.

Steam engines were still in service on the railroads.

Steam power was used to generate electricity as well as operate
industrial plants.

During this time, my father was a boiler fireman. He shoveled a lot of coal.

John L Lewis would take the miners out on strike, Truman would employ
the Taft-Hartley.

Sooner or later, a new contract was signed.

Meanwhile, the miners continued to be screwed.

Back then, the "Company Store" still flourished.

Under ground mining was and still is one of the most dangerous jobs on
the planet.

It is now almost 60 years later and not much seems to have changed.

When will they ever learn, when will they ever learn as the line from
the protest song goes.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

Default I Vent My Spleen

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

From 1946-1950, We were returning to a peace time economy, Truman was
[...]

Good post, Lew. My father-in-law earned enough money right after WWII
working in a coal mine to buy extra acreage for his farm. As soon as that
was up and running, he left the mines forever. I've seen photographs and
talked to miners, and you could not get me down in one with a shotgun.

I listened a couple days ago to some snotball female national news type
state that most miners make around $700 a week, not much money. Obviously,
she has never lived in Appalachia, but she also doesn't know a whole lot
about working 60 and 65 hours a week in a hole a half mile underground, when
the money becomes far better, and your family has a better life.

John L. Lewis. Oh, man. I hadn't thought of him in ages, though Truman had
popped to mind recently, as happens when you start thinking about probity
and courage in politics, something we have seen a severe shortage of for
several decades, but are now finding totally lacking.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm with you, Lew. We have no huge deep coal mines (to my knowledge)
in Texas. However, in my years in construction I have talked to and
worked with all manner of blue collar trades, coal mining being no
exception. The guys I talked to seemed to have a sad, soulful
understanding of the risks and what they faced, and due to lack of
other opportunities many of their family members were in that industry.

The description of being inside a deep coal mine seemed like a descent
into hell. No thanks. I would (and did) take decking apartments in
110 degree summer time heat over some gawdawful job like that.

I was horrified to see what happened to the families of those men. I
don't care how the leak/announcement/overheard conversation/bad
information or any other horse**** came about. I just cannot imagine
hoping against all odds, then thinking you have been blessed by God,
then have it all taken away again.

My heart goes out to all of those people.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

I remember in the late 80's a mining accident near here, Hopkins
county, The guys were working in a strip mine. Out in the open air.
They were working near the high walls when the earth let go and fell in
on them. There is no safe job in a coal mine. 6 guys died that day, all
well known, all had families. The guys in the office keep pushing the
pencils.

Tom in KY, often called the heart of the coalfield.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Blanchard

Charles Self wrote:

John L. Lewis. Oh, man. I hadn't thought of him in ages, though Truman
had popped to mind recently, as happens when you start thinking about
probity and courage in politics, something we have seen a severe
shortage of**for several decades, but are now finding totally lacking.

I was about 7 when "Give'em Hell Harry" took office. Still one of my
favorite presidents.

But I remember being really ****ed off when Roosevelt died They
interrupted "Terry and the Pirates" to announce his death!

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
Charles Self wrote:

John L. Lewis. Oh, man. I hadn't thought of him in ages, though Truman
had popped to mind recently, as happens when you start thinking about
probity and courage in politics, something we have seen a severe
shortage of for several decades, but are now finding totally lacking.

I was about 7 when "Give'em Hell Harry" took office. Still one of my
favorite presidents.

But I remember being really ****ed off when Roosevelt died They
interrupted "Terry and the Pirates" to announce his death!

Oh., horrors! Right up there with interrupting Jack Armstrong, All American
Boy. I think you're older than I am, unless I've got my dates confused. I
was 6 when Truman took office, I think. Or almost 6.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article . net,
Lew Hodgett wrote:

[snipped for brevity]

The fat cats can't make any money without some good men taking chances
with their lives in order to give their families a better life.

The cozy relationship between the fat cats and the MSHA 'inspectors' is
a sham.

I have done a few things in my life which, in retrospect, I did because
of 'pressure from above'. Allowing stuff like pounding steel wedges in
the safety valves of a boiler in order to get the rated output from the
generators.

Having the operators light 500MW boilers after half the required purge
time.... because 'upstairs' wants to be on line in time and there ain't
no union for shift supervisors...

In first year college, summer job, taking a 14-foot dinghy towing a
floating fuel line (to supply fuel to a weather station in the Arctic)
from the reel on the aft deck of a tanker in weather which was clearly
too high risk...but the skipper wanted to be back in time for his bonus.

That summer in the Arctic...wow.. the sights.."it's just ice, Robbie..."

Peace out.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Blanchard

Charles Self wrote:

But I remember being really ****ed off when Roosevelt died**They
interrupted "Terry and the Pirates" to announce his death!

Oh., horrors! Right up there with interrupting Jack Armstrong, All
American Boy. I think you're older than I am, unless I've got my dates
confused. I was 6 when Truman took office, I think. Or almost 6.

I'm 68.

BTW, I also remember sitting at the kitchen table with my parents
listening to the first A-bomb test that was broadcast. Being a small
boy, I was anticipating the world's largest "boom". I was really upset
when all we got was some very loud static :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

For those of you who took a trip down memory lane remembering radio
programs of your youth such as Jack Armstrong, The Green Hornet, Sgt
Preston, Sky King, etc.

How many of you remember Capt'n Midnight or even better, how many of you
still have your secret decoder ring?

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article et, Lew
Hodgett wrote:

For those of you who took a trip down memory lane remembering radio
programs of your youth such as Jack Armstrong, The Green Hornet, Sgt
Preston, Sky King, etc.

How many of you remember Capt'n Midnight or even better, how many of you
still have your secret decoder ring?

It's curious to think how very, very different the Wreck is going to be
in the next 10 years or so. I had a LOT more of the regulars pegged
probably 20 - 25 years younger than they really are.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article .ca,
Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article et, Lew
Hodgett wrote:

For those of you who took a trip down memory lane remembering radio
programs of your youth such as Jack Armstrong, The Green Hornet, Sgt
Preston, Sky King, etc.

How many of you remember Capt'n Midnight or even better, how many of you
still have your secret decoder ring?

It's curious to think how very, very different the Wreck is going to be
in the next 10 years or so. I had a LOT more of the regulars pegged
probably 20 - 25 years younger than they really are.

Me too.
Like that now-famous cartoon "On the net nobody knows you're a dog", age is
sometimes very difficult to notice, especially in a timeless hobby like
woodworking.
It all comes down to this: you're only as old as the woman you feel.

Rob, since 1949
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article ,
Robatoy wrote:

It all comes down to this: you're only as old as the woman you feel.

Rob, since 1949

I'm a '59, myself.

And a gentleman never discusses the woman he's feeling.

--
"Do I want my girlfriend to look like you? No! I want her to have secondary
sexual characteristics!" -- Ed the Sock
Posted to rec.woodworking
Ranger Paul

Lew,

This was a good post. Amen to that.

I am the youngster in this thread I suppose, if a man of 48 summers can be considered that.

Like some of the others here, I've had some hard jobs, first job out of HS was as a concrete form setter's helper - translation; ditch digger.

Joined the Navy, worked as a Machinist Mate down in the hole, remember walking between two firing 600# boilers and it drying the sweat off your body in seconds it was so hot, chipping paint in those conditions, I thought that was hard.

Worked after the Navy as a commercial HVAC service guy, remember sweating copper on 10 ton pots on roof top equipment in August in Dallas when it was 112° outside, I thought that was a hard job too,

By the grace of God I made it out somehow, I work in an office today, I'm a professional that never graduated HS if someone without an education can be considered that.

I read stores every week, as we all do, about good people being hurt, killed, raped, children being the victim of some sort of monster that falls way short of the minimum requirements for a human being. I hear those stories, I read them, and it hits me, but somehow I manage to keep it from getting to me, somehow it doesn't hurt my soul.

Every time, and I mean every time I have heard and read and seen stories about miners being trapped my soul isn't so lucky. I read the story on a web site earlier today about the letter one of them wrote, apparently after some of the others had already passed away, one line of it was to the children of one of the men who he had seen die, he told that man's children something like; "I want you to know that your dad didn't suffer, he just fell asleep, it was peaceful, none of them suffered, they're just falling to sleep......."

I started balling like a child when I read that story, crying inside more than outside.

I can't get my mind completely around how my soul cannot escape injury when miners are trapped, I said that to my wife tonight, I told her how I cried when I read that story, and that I was tearing up thinking about it then, I told her I didn't understand why it gets to me like this....

She said it's probably because they work so hard.

That might be it too, like I said before, I used to think this job or that job was hard, but that might be why miners being trapped and dieing does hurt so deep inside...

Maybe its because in the world of working men, blue collar men, the miners are the kings, they do a job, most of them all their lives, that the other working men, like me too, shudder at the thought of....

Because its not just about how hard it is, it's about how brave they are, and courage, like coal, comes from deep inside, these men are simple heroes each and every one.......

God bless all of them and please bring some sense of comfort and peace to the ones left behind that love them so much.

Paul
[...]

From 1946-1950, We were returning to a peace time economy, Truman was
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Dave Balderstone wrote:

I'm a '59, myself.

And a gentleman never discusses the woman he's feeling.

Good grief, a couple of rookies.

I attended my 50th high school class renunion this fall.

You do the math.

BTW, any discussion of women in my life is not for this list.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Ranger Paul wrote:
Lew,

This was a good post. Amen to that.

Thank you.

I am the youngster in this thread I suppose, if a man of 48 summers

can be considered that.

Stick around, you will get there.G

Like some of the others here, I've had some hard jobs, first job out

of HS was as a concrete form setter's helper - translation; ditch digger.

I did that one summer when I was in high school.

There had to be a better way so I figured how to go to school.

By the grace of God I made it out somehow, I work in an office today,

I'm a professional that never graduated HS if someone without an
education can be considered that.

Congratulations.

Snip mine story details

I can't get my mind completely around how my soul cannot escape

injury when miners are trapped, I said that to my wife tonight, I told
her how I cried when I read that story, and that I was tearing up
thinking about it then, I told her I didn't understand why it gets to me
like this....

Maybe it's because you just might have a conscience.

Because its not just about how hard it is, it's about how brave they

are, and courage, like coal, comes from deep inside, these men are
simple heroes each and every one.......

Most of them are trapped in an endless cycle.

Many years ago, when Akron, Oh was the rubber capital of the world, it
was also recognized as the remote capital of West VA due to all the
people who worked in the rubber plants that came from West VA.

They were about the only ones who made it out.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

Charles Self wrote:

But I remember being really ****ed off when Roosevelt died They
interrupted "Terry and the Pirates" to announce his death!

Oh., horrors! Right up there with interrupting Jack Armstrong, All
American Boy. I think you're older than I am, unless I've got my dates
confused. I was 6 when Truman took office, I think. Or almost 6.

I'm 68.

BTW, I also remember sitting at the kitchen table with my parents
listening to the first A-bomb test that was broadcast. Being a small
boy, I was anticipating the world's largest "boom". I was really upset
when all we got was some very loud static :-).

Ya got me by a year. My memory doesn't pull that one up, which is probably a
good thing.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
nk.net...

Dave Balderstone wrote:

I'm a '59, myself.

And a gentleman never discusses the woman he's feeling.

Good grief, a couple of rookies.

I attended my 50th high school class renunion this fall.

You do the math.

BTW, any discussion of women in my life is not for this list.

Mine's next year, because I dropped out in my senior year and had to go back
and finish in '57.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...
Most of them are trapped in an endless cycle.

Many years ago, when Akron, Oh was the rubber capital of the world, it was
also recognized as the remote capital of West VA due to all the people who
worked in the rubber plants that came from West VA.

They were about the only ones who made it out.

Awful easy to lose perspective when a tragedy strikes, isn't it? Lots of
help from the press, too. They look better when they make others look bad.

However.

The most dangerous job in the US isn't mining - it's even below average
injury rate. Now farming or fishing....

The mine being cited for violation after violation doesn't mean "evil
administration," just as, when you read the substance of it, a nuclear plant
citation doesn't mean a single individual was at risk. It means that
someone's got a checklist miles long, in-depth picky, and runs it regularly.
Given the thousands of possible offenses, no surprise there are hundreds of
violations. Someone cared, and tried a lot to keep things safe. Sadly, the
ones most prone to dangerous shortcuts are the workers themselves, if my
experience is typical.

I didn't really think of the days I relined furnaces in the foundry, flew
for Uncle into unfriendly places, or bagged a potential organ donor for over
an hour while my partner crawled through a driving blizzard as dangerous - I
did them. All life comes to death sooner or later, regardless. Seen enough
DRTs to know that. Could be me next week, if the college kids coming back
don't drive safely. Was close three weeks ago as they left for break when
the rig started drifting on icy roads when I went where my skills could do
nothing for two out of three.

Today you, tomorrow, me.

Weren't Akron and Youngstown known for their Mob-run Unions - and violence?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"George" wrote in message

Awful easy to lose perspective when a tragedy strikes, isn't it?
Lots of help from the press, too. They look better when they
make others look bad

Well hell, it's gotta be whathisname's fault ... but where's JJ and Al?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article ,
Robatoy wrote:

It all comes down to this: you're only as old as the woman you feel.

Rob, since 1949

I'm a '59, myself.

And a gentleman never discusses the woman he's feeling.

I'm a '39 and still a babe magnet. Sorry about the crayon but they ...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Blanchard

Default O/T: I VentXXX - now memories

Lew Hodgett wrote:

How many of you remember Capt'n Midnight or even better, how many of
you still have your secret decoder ring?

I remember that one but don't remember the ring.

But my favorite radio show of all has to be any Jack Benny episode where
he went down to his vault :-). What sound effects!

Somehow it didn't come off as well on TV - nothing left for your
imagination.

On a related memory, my father worked as a linotype operator for a
company that printed a lot of the comics. I got Captain Marvel,
Superman, Looney Tunes, etc. as fast as they came off the press. For
free! And I still remember my favorite that I read till it fell apart
- it was "Oswald Rabbit and the Great Easter Egg Hunt" = Ahh to be five
years old again :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

George wrote:

Weren't Akron and Youngstown known for their Mob-run Unions - and

violence?

Youngstown was know for some of it's mob activities, can't comment on Akron.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Larry Blanchard wrote:

But my favorite radio show of all has to be any Jack Benny episode where
he went down to his vault :-). What sound effects!

Somehow it didn't come off as well on TV - nothing left for your
imagination.

These days, Prairie Home Companion is the only place to hear radio sound
effects.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Balderstone wrote:

It's curious to think how very, very different the Wreck is going to be
in the next 10 years or so. I had a LOT more of the regulars pegged
probably 20 - 25 years younger than they really are.

I was afraid to let anybody know how old I was for fear you would all
turn on me for being the old dude. HA-HA-ha.

I have a 3 year old son. I've been in construction all of my life as my
father was the type to take me to work with him, and actually make me
WORK!!

I was born in 65. I think that puts me in a category with stoutman.
Maybe a few years between us. 40, I wonder if I'm still a babe magnet?
Nah, I'd know it if I was.

Tom in KY, favorite old TV shows; Our Gang (Spanky and Buckwheat, Darla
and Alf-Alfa)and Looney Toons ( the original Bugs Bunny and Wyle E.
Coyote, Elmer Fudd, Porky and Petunia,,ESPECIALLY PETUNIA !!)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article et,
Lew Hodgett wrote:

You do the math.

Yabbut you hafta gimme a hint as to how long it took you to go through
highschool, Lew..
Posted to rec.woodworking
loutent

In article . net, Lew
Hodgett wrote:

Larry Blanchard wrote:

But my favorite radio show of all has to be any Jack Benny episode where
he went down to his vault :-). What sound effects!

Somehow it didn't come off as well on TV - nothing left for your
imagination.

These days, Prairie Home Companion is the only place to hear radio sound
effects.

Lew

A couple of years back I really got into
some of the "Old Time Radio" web sites. There
is a lot of public domain stuff that you can
download and relive your childhood.

I got a kick out of The Shadow.

Oh yeah - you can get the on Usenet too.

-------------------

"Who knows what evil lurks...."

Today, I think it's JT!!!

Lou
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 16:32:27 -0500, Robatoy wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

I just cannot imagine
hoping against all odds, then thinking you have been blessed by God,
then have it all taken away again.

I was having a bout of insomnia. I came into my office, popped on the
tube and saw the elation, the rejoicing...I got caught up in it...Way to
go!! and all that...a really nice buzz...as I was peeking at the tube
between drawings.. I may have said Hallelujah out loud...
.
.
then the cold agony of realizing that nothing could have hurt those
families more, in a worse way.
.
.
.
I felt sick to my stomach

One thing that hasn't been addressed yet is how the news media took and
ran with this story, apparently without bothering to attempt to get
official confirmation. After all, that confirmation might have taken them
15 to 20 minutes and lost them the scoop. Not only did the families of
those miners suffer such an agonizing let-down because someone at the scene
thought they heard something and just couldn't wait to get on the phone to
someone else, since the news media (the professional reporters) really
stepped on their d!*&$s rushing to be the first to report the story, the
rest of us who had been praying for a successful rescue similar to the last
accident were also affected -- albeit by orders of magnitude less than the
families. This was then one of those cases where the company was then
caught in a no-win situation -- they did not immediately know all of the
facts either, so what were they to do, tell people to stop celebrating, or
wait until they had all the facts?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 08:56:14 -0800, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:

How many of you remember Capt'n Midnight or even better, how many of
you still have your secret decoder ring?

I remember that one but don't remember the ring.

But my favorite radio show of all has to be any Jack Benny episode where
he went down to his vault :-). What sound effects!

Somehow it didn't come off as well on TV - nothing left for your
imagination.

During college, since I commuted from home, I would eat lunch in my car.
KOA radio played old radio shows during the noon hour. Those were great
fun, George and Gracie ("Say goodnight Gracie"), Fibber McGee and Molly,
The Great Gildersleeves -- that really was a golden art. Funny without
being crude.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
I felt sick to my stomach

One thing that hasn't been addressed yet is how the news media took and
ran with this story, apparently without bothering to attempt to get
official confirmation. After all, that confirmation might have taken them
15 to 20 minutes and lost them the scoop.

I was wondering about that too. Or was the "official" confirmation screwed
up too? This story is far from over.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
I felt sick to my stomach

One thing that hasn't been addressed yet is how the news media took and
ran with this story, apparently without bothering to attempt to get
official confirmation. After all, that confirmation might have taken them
15 to 20 minutes and lost them the scoop.

I was wondering about that too. Or was the "official" confirmation
screwed up too? This story is far from over.

I seem to recall some official or company type getting a garbled message and
leaping to conclusions here. How the media got a hold if, I don't know, but
IIRC, the families did NOT find out from the media, but from someone closer
to the situation.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 1/6/2006 4:06 PM mumbled something
about the following:
Dave Balderstone wrote:
It's curious to think how very, very different the Wreck is going to be
in the next 10 years or so. I had a LOT more of the regulars pegged
probably 20 - 25 years younger than they really are.

I was afraid to let anybody know how old I was for fear you would all
turn on me for being the old dude. HA-HA-ha.

I have a 3 year old son. I've been in construction all of my life as my
father was the type to take me to work with him, and actually make me
WORK!!

I was born in 65. I think that puts me in a category with stoutman.
Maybe a few years between us. 40, I wonder if I'm still a babe magnet?
Nah, I'd know it if I was.

Tom in KY, favorite old TV shows; Our Gang (Spanky and Buckwheat, Darla
and Alf-Alfa)and Looney Toons ( the original Bugs Bunny and Wyle E.
Coyote, Elmer Fudd, Porky and Petunia,,ESPECIALLY PETUNIA !!)

At 40, you're one of the younger in here. I'm 45 and feel like a youngin
in here, altho in the computer chats and newsgroups, I'm one of the olduns.

I know I'm not a babe magnet in the "pretty boy" sense, but I do attract
those looking for that "bad boy" image. 5 kids ranging from 11 to 27, 3
grandkids and one on the way. In the 32 years I've been in the
workforce, I've worked in construction, both residential and commercial,
been a software developer and an admin, been both a short order chef and
a dishwasher, been a pizza delivery driver, a minister, an auto
mechanic, a steam turbine operator/mechanic, and almost a nuclear power
plant operator.

--
Odinn - still have no idea what I want to be when I grow up.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 11:22:40 GMT, "Charles Self"
wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
I felt sick to my stomach

One thing that hasn't been addressed yet is how the news media took and
ran with this story, apparently without bothering to attempt to get
official confirmation. After all, that confirmation might have taken them
15 to 20 minutes and lost them the scoop.

I was wondering about that too. Or was the "official" confirmation
screwed up too? This story is far from over.

I seem to recall some official or company type getting a garbled message and
leaping to conclusions here. How the media got a hold if, I don't know, but
IIRC, the families did NOT find out from the media, but from someone closer
to the situation.

Seems there were two information paths stemming from a single event. The
first, someone at the command center (who was not an official spokesperson)
heard a message, "we found them!", took that to mean they had found them
alive and rushed to call the relatives based upon that incomplete set of
information. This set off a round of celebrations and church bell ringing
that got the attention of reporters. In the two accounts I read, the
reporters heard the celebration and saw people running in the street
shouting, "they found them alive! (or only 1 dead, the accounts I read
varied on that detail)". That is what the reporters then broadcast live
rather than as they should have done, contacting the company officials to
get the real story. Now, this was based on stories written immediately
folowing the event. That can be both good and bad, on the good side,
nobody had yet had a chance to come up with a story to cover themselves, on
the negative side, it was based upon preliminary impressions that may or
may not have been accurate.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Odinn wrote:

a minister,

?!

--
Odinn - still have no idea what I want to be when I grow up.

I believe that's a relative question. In reality it should be said,
"someday I'm going to realize what I am (or was) now that I've grown
old." It's just too early for us to determine right now.

Tom in KY, 40 year old kid ;-D

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
Mark & Juanita wrote:

the
reporters heard the celebration

[snipped an excellent synopsis of what transpired live on CNN due to
brevity]

Chicken/egg, dog wagging tail etc... what I saw was that Anderson Cooper
(AC) was approached by a very excited chum of one of the miners who told
AC that they found "twelve alive, twelve alive". AC wanted to find out
where he got the info. Then he heard the jubilation and reported the
events as they unfolded. At no time did CNN state categorically that
they were found alive, they always prefaced any comments with "we are
told" "Story has" "people are saying". I'm no Cooper fan, but I found
him very guarded and reserved until the 'buzz' became so overwhelming
That it "must be true".
On several occasions did he mention that he was awaiting official
confirmation.

It was very unfortunate that the rumour flared up like it did, but to
try the pin all that on the media, in this case, is unfair. I said; "In
This Case."...because quite often they are bloodsucking vultures who
don't give a rat's ass about people's feelings.

They reported the rumour. They did not start the rumour. This time.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

I was born in 65. I think that puts me in a category with stoutman.
Maybe a few years between us. 40, I wonder if I'm still a babe magnet?
Nah, I'd know it if I was.

I'm 60 and still a babe magnet. How do I know? I get email all the time
stating that young women want to meet me and even marry me. Just this
morning, I got a note from "large breasted woman" that wants to contact me.
I think I'm going to give her my credit card number so she can buy a ticket
to come here for a dinner meeting.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

wrote in message

I was born in 65. I think that puts me in a category with stoutman.
Maybe a few years between us. 40, I wonder if I'm still a babe magnet?
Nah, I'd know it if I was.

I'm 60 and still a babe magnet. How do I know? I get email all the time
stating that young women want to meet me and even marry me. Just this
morning, I got a note from "large breasted woman" that wants to contact

me.
I think I'm going to give her my credit card number so she can buy a

ticket
to come here for a dinner meeting.

At your age you might want to scroll down a couple more e-mails and order
some Viagra in case she shows up.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

wrote in message

I was born in 65. I think that puts me in a category with stoutman.
Maybe a few years between us. 40, I wonder if I'm still a babe magnet?
Nah, I'd know it if I was.

I'm 60 and still a babe magnet. How do I know? I get email all the time
stating that young women want to meet me and even marry me. Just this
morning, I got a note from "large breasted woman" that wants to contact

me.
I think I'm going to give her my credit card number so she can buy a

ticket
to come here for a dinner meeting.

Hey, wait a minute, I'm getting the same e-mails, don't tell me she's
two-timing? Ah, man, I'm devastated. :-(