Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve B

Default Foredom advice needed

My daughter bought me a new Foredom 2276 for Christmas. I intended to use
it on some metal work I do. But, I see all the great wood work it can do,
and am interested in doing some wood sculpting to go along with the metal.
I should add that I have years of metal experience, but not any woodworking.
I believe almost all of what I would want to do would be freehand.

What's a good place to start? Any suggestions for Internet sites, beginner
books, how-to/tutorials, or literature appreciated.

And how about tools? Should I just go and get one of those 150 piece Dremel
assortments, a starter set of carbide burrs, or all of the above? Are the
cheap assortments a good way to learn, or should I just buy some good
Foredom sets and know they will last?

Help appreciated.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote:
My daughter bought me a new Foredom 2276 for Christmas. I intended to use
it on some metal work I do. But, I see all the great wood work it can do,
and am interested in doing some wood sculpting to go along with the metal.
I should add that I have years of metal experience, but not any woodworking.
I believe almost all of what I would want to do would be freehand.

What's a good place to start? Any suggestions for Internet sites, beginner
books, how-to/tutorials, or literature appreciated.

And how about tools? Should I just go and get one of those 150 piece Dremel
assortments, a starter set of carbide burrs, or all of the above? Are the
cheap assortments a good way to learn, or should I just buy some good
Foredom sets and know they will last?

Help appreciated.

Steve

the kits aren't a bad thing generally- they'll give you an idea of the
range of the machine and let you play around a bit. you pay a premium
for the kit packaging and marketing, so the parts you do find useful
you'll want to find better sources for.

know a dentist? they generally replace the bits at the first sign of
wear, with plenty of cutting left in them if you're cutting into
materials that can't scream. ask nice and your dentist will likely save
you a handfull.

solid carbide burrs are the way to go for working wood and soft metals
for the sizes and shapes you can get them in. if you're able to do
basic machining you can make what arbors and such you'll need to mount
slitting saws and roloc discs. craytex wheels and cones are great for
deburring. the sparker wheel from better grade disposable lighters is a
nice burr. mount a hardwood dowell and charge the end with abrasives.
and don't forget that you can mount regular old drill bits.

have fun....

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lloyd Skeoch

Steve B wrote:

What's a good place to start? Any suggestions for Internet sites, beginner
books, how-to/tutorials, or literature appreciated.

Steve, you can get a lot of good starter information, and links to other
woodcarving locations at http://carverscompanion.com/FilesDirectory.html

Lloyd