BM Cooper

Default Tenoning jig advice needed

Hi everyone. I'm trying to determine which after-market tenoning jigs will
work with Craftsman miter slots. I know, I know, everyone is jealous of my
table saw, but it's NOT for sale. (grin) For what it's worth - It's about 3
years old and a (relatively speaking) "higher" end contractor saw (for
Craftsman).

It seems to me that the Delta won't work... Is this true? Any help as to
what might work well would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also looking for advice on a good bench top mortiser. Thanks for your
help! Ben

Mapdude

I got one of the Delta jigs, and the metal guide bar was a tad too big
and snug making it a bit hard to slide in the groove of my dad's olds
Craftman TS. I took the metal bar off of the jig and ground some of the
width off using an old grinder that I salvaged from my dads barn /
garage/ shop when we moved him back to the city years ago. That metal
was HARD, but I eventually got it down enough that the jig slided just fine.

BM Cooper wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm trying to determine which after-market tenoning jigs will
work with Craftsman miter slots. I know, I know, everyone is jealous of my
table saw, but it's NOT for sale. (grin) For what it's worth - It's about 3
years old and a (relatively speaking) "higher" end contractor saw (for
Craftsman).

It seems to me that the Delta won't work... Is this true? Any help as to
what might work well would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also looking for advice on a good bench top mortiser. Thanks for your
help! Ben

-VS

As far as I know, most recent (at least for the last 3 years)
Craftsman saws use a standard miter slot. Certainly, my 3-yr old
craftsman does. In other words, the delta jig should work fine. If
you post the model#, you may be able to get more information out of
this group.

And, I'm very happy with my saw. I've poked and prodded the total
runout below 0.004, have upgraded to an incra fence and a rockler
sliding table system, have build my own dust collection, put in a link
belt and a Forrest blade, and now can slice through thick stock with
no burning or bogging down. (Yes, I could've spent the same amount of
money and bought a cabinet saw, but then I wouldn't have had the incra
and sliding table, which I love - plus, it's easier to get the wife to
allow me to spend $1K on my saw over 3 years than it was to get her
to agree to plunking down $1K up front).

-VS.

BM Cooper wrote in message ...
Hi everyone. I'm trying to determine which after-market tenoning jigs will
work with Craftsman miter slots. I know, I know, everyone is jealous of my
table saw, but it's NOT for sale. (grin) For what it's worth - It's about 3
years old and a (relatively speaking) "higher" end contractor saw (for
Craftsman).

It seems to me that the Delta won't work... Is this true? Any help as to
what might work well would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also looking for advice on a good bench top mortiser. Thanks for your
help! Ben

Leon

Hey.... Slided is plural and past tense for slid. You slide the jig
forward, you slided it back.
That is Texas speak. I seen it done onced.

Edwin Pawlowski

BM Cooper wrote in message
Hi everyone. I'm trying to determine which after-market tenoning jigs

will
work with Craftsman miter slots.

It seems to me that the Delta won't work... Is this true? Any help as

what might work well would be greatly appreciated.

If the slots are now the standard size, it will work. Some of the cheaper
saws had (have) an odd size and not a true "T" slot. Just measure them and
if they are typical 3/4 x 3/8 it will work. The guide is just plain
rectangle, not a protrusion that must fit into the "T".

I'm also looking for advice on a good bench top mortiser. Thanks for

your
help! Ben

From the reviews I've read, there are no really bad ones. I'm happy with my
Delta, the Jet was rated high also in most reviews.
Ed

Leon

Ben, I took some scrap Baltic Birch plywood, bought a clamp and built mine
to slide over and along my rip fence. About 2 hours of my time and $6 worth
of materials.

A good mortiser, Delta makes a decent one. Remember though, like with any
chisel, you need to sharpen it before use. LeeValley makes a cone shaped
stone to put in your drill to remove burrs from inside the chisel and you
can polish the outs side of the chisel. This will make the whole set up
work much better.

"BM Cooper" wrote in message
Hi everyone. I'm trying to determine which after-market tenoning jigs

will
work with Craftsman miter slots. I know, I know, everyone is jealous of

my
table saw, but it's NOT for sale. (grin) For what it's worth - It's about

3
years old and a (relatively speaking) "higher" end contractor saw (for
Craftsman).

It seems to me that the Delta won't work... Is this true? Any help as to
what might work well would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also looking for advice on a good bench top mortiser. Thanks for your
help! Ben

Swingman

"Leon" wrote in message
Hey.... Slided is plural and past tense for slid. You slide the jig
forward, you slided it back.
That is Texas speak. I seen it done onced.

"I done slided it back."

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/13/04

Pounds on Wood

It's very common to have to modify, move, or even replace the bar on these
jigs. I have the Delta jig, and when I got it I had a Grizzly 1023. I had
to move the bar over an inch or two. The slot-to-blade dimension is
different between manufacturers.

I say get the jig and plan on modifying the slide bar. It won't be a big
deal.

I assure you the cast iron jig beats the stain out of any wooden home made
contraption. For the money I think it might be the best value tool in my
shop.

--
********
Bill Pounds

"BM Cooper" wrote in message
Hi everyone. I'm trying to determine which after-market tenoning jigs

will
work with Craftsman miter slots. I know, I know, everyone is jealous of

my
table saw, but it's NOT for sale. (grin) For what it's worth - It's about

3
years old and a (relatively speaking) "higher" end contractor saw (for
Craftsman).

It seems to me that the Delta won't work... Is this true? Any help as to
what might work well would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also looking for advice on a good bench top mortiser. Thanks for your
help! Ben

jo4hn

Leon wrote:
Hey.... Slided is plural and past tense for slid. You slide the jig
forward, you slided it back.
That is Texas speak. I seen it done onced.

According to Dizzy Dean, it's "slud".
j4

Swingman

"Bob Jones" wrote in message
Everyone knows it should have been "slud". I learned from an old

carpenter
that what one did with a ladder was you clumb it. I will climb that

ladder.
I clamb that ladder. I had clumb that ladder. Makes sense to me.

.... ah yes! Redneck verb conjugation ... the 'grits and gizzard greens' soul
of the language.

That said, being a good Catholic kid of about 8, with what I though was a
pretty good working vocabulary at the time, and seeing the word
"conjugation" for the first time, I was pretty sure it must have something
to do with sex ... so I was excited as hell when Sister Mary Therese said we
were going to start conjugating.

Boy, was I surprised!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/13/04

Leon

My favorites come from the Boston area... Like Norm always saying you can
get a set of measured DRAWERINGS for that chest of DRAWS.

Down here in Texas and I suspect most anywhere else it is measured Drawings
for the chest of Drawers.

"Bob Jones" wrote in message
. com...
Everyone knows it should have been "slud". I learned from an old

carpenter
that what one did with a ladder was you clumb it. I will climb that

ladder.
I clamb that ladder. I had clumb that ladder. Makes sense to me.

Bejay

"J T" wrote in message
Thu, Feb 26, 2004, 7:03am (EST-1) (Lowell Holmes)
says:
Well,
You knew what he meant, unlike many posts in this group (including some
of mine). :-)

Indeed yes, the meaning was clear, which is the bottom line. Just
struck me as tremendously funny at the time. And, still makes me smile.

JOAT
Georges Clemenceau supposedly said, "War is too important a matter to be
left to the military". If this is so, it is then obvious that peace is
too precious to be left to politicians.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 28 Feb 2004.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...ESILIKEVOCALS/

James D. Kountz

Actually Leon here in WV it would be drawins and dwars. When I was a kid I
always wondered what a "chestered drawers" looked like till I found out
there was no such thing..........

Jim

"Leon" wrote in message
m...
My favorites come from the Boston area... Like Norm always saying you can
get a set of measured DRAWERINGS for that chest of DRAWS.

Down here in Texas and I suspect most anywhere else it is measured

Drawings
for the chest of Drawers.

James D. Kountz

Now see there, that looks and sounds perfectly fine to me........I dont get
it....

Jim

Hey Leon, I aint eetyet. yaunt 2? Momannyms guna, we mideaswell.

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

No JAOT it was not me and yeah I was splainin it to yuh.
I like that Writ at an rotten... By the way jeet?

codepath

What's the state flower in WV?
a satellite dish

How do you know if you're rich in WV?
you have 2 cars on blocks in the front yard

How does a teenage girl in WV know if her mother is on the rag?
her brother's dick tastes funny

Sorry, couldn't resist.

codepath

"James D. Kountz" jkountz@(remove this)citlink.net wrote in message
Actually Leon here in WV it would be drawins and dwars. When I was a kid I
always wondered what a "chestered drawers" looked like till I found out
there was no such thing..........

Jim

"Leon" wrote in message
m...
My favorites come from the Boston area... Like Norm always saying you

can
get a set of measured DRAWERINGS for that chest of DRAWS.

Down here in Texas and I suspect most anywhere else it is measured

Drawings
for the chest of Drawers.

Swingman

"James D. Kountz" wrote in message
Ok but answer this......If a man and woman in WV get divorced would they
still be brother and sister??

Jim

Damn, you guys need some exercise.

SCROLL DOWN NOW

SCROLL UP NOW (feel the burn?)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/26/04

James D. Kountz

Just one more. What do you say to a WV woman with two black eyes? Nothing,
you told the bitch twice already............I know that one is kinda bad but
my brother in law insisted I tell yall that one!

Jim

"codepath" wrote in message
hook, line, sinker, frying pan

good one

"Swingman" wrote in message

"James D. Kountz" wrote in message
Ok but answer this......If a man and woman in WV get divorced would

they
still be brother and sister??

Jim

Damn, you guys need some exercise.

SCROLL DOWN NOW

SCROLL UP NOW (feel the burn?)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/26/04

Tom M.

BM Cooper wrote in message ...
Hi everyone. I'm trying to determine which after-market tenoning jigs will
work with Craftsman miter slots. I know, I know, everyone is jealous of my
table saw, but it's NOT for sale. (grin) For what it's worth - It's about 3
years old and a (relatively speaking) "higher" end contractor saw (for
Craftsman).

It seems to me that the Delta won't work... Is this true? Any help as to
what might work well would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also looking for advice on a good bench top mortiser. Thanks for your
help! Ben

Yes, the newer Craftsman saws are Ryobi made (yeah, I know) and have
standard T-slots, which will work with the Delta tenoning jig, and
probably any other brand. The older Emerson made Craftsman saws had
slightly narrower slots, and I don't think they were T-slots. I'm not
positive when the transition year was, but I think it was around 1999
or 2000. If your Craftsman saw is left tilt, as is mine, make sure the
tenoning jig you buy will work with a left tilt saw. My Delta jig is
the deluxe model (don't know the model # at the moment) and can be
switched for left tilt, but I'm not sure if the regular Delta model
can be switched.

Tom
BM Cooper

Thanks for the good information. Mine is one of the Emerson models. And it
is slightly narrower than standard (Can't remember how I discovered this
anymore). Sounds like I'll have to get creative possibly. Somebody told me
today that the newest Delta jigs were designed to compensate for this
somehow, though... Either way it sounds like I can make it work with some
ingenuity. In other words: "I gets dat sumbitch slided in dair somehow,
ya'll."

On 2/26/04 11:06 PM, in article
, "Tom M."
wrote:
Yes, the newer Craftsman saws are Ryobi made (yeah, I know) and have
standard T-slots, which will work with the Delta tenoning jig, and
probably any other brand. The older Emerson made Craftsman saws had
slightly narrower slots, and I don't think they were T-slots. I'm not
positive when the transition year was, but I think it was around 1999
or 2000. If your Craftsman saw is left tilt, as is mine, make sure the
tenoning jig you buy will work with a left tilt saw. My Delta jig is
the deluxe model (don't know the model # at the moment) and can be
switched for left tilt, but I'm not sure if the regular Delta model
can be switched.

Tom

codepath

I have an older Craftsman (about 8-10 years old) that has standard non-T
slots (I measured them).

Just got an Incra V27 for Christmas. Worked slicker than snot right outta
the box.

codepath

"Tom M." wrote in message
om...