Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave

Default Dehumidefier question

I have my woodshop in my basement. I live in Illinois. Do you recommend that
I leave it on all winter long, or just in the spring, summer, and fall?
Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody

Dave wrote:
I have my woodshop in my basement. I live in Illinois. Do you recommend that
I leave it on all winter long, or just in the spring, summer, and fall?
Thanks

Doesn't it have a humidistat that will turn it off when the humidity
level gets low enough? If so, I'd leave it on year 'round. Otherwise,
buy a hygrometer to monitor humidity levels to make your decision.

DonkeyHody
"Give a hungry man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him to fish
and . . . he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day."

Posted to rec.woodworking
rickluce

How does your dehumidifier work in such a large space? Does it increase
the cost of your electricity by much? I get quite a bit of moisture in
my garage workshop and was wondering if this would be a good solution.
I only get moisture in the winter, summers and fall is quite dry.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hinz

On 29 Dec 2005 09:16:41 -0800, rickluce wrote:
How does your dehumidifier work in such a large space? Does it increase
the cost of your electricity by much?

Keep in mind, that even if it does cost you in electricity, you get
those BTUs as heat, so it cuts down on the heating bill. In some
places, at some times, electricity is cheaper than other fuels.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Dave" wrote in message
I have my woodshop in my basement. I live in Illinois. Do you recommend
that I leave it on all winter long, or just in the spring, summer, and
fall? Thanks

If you're heating the house, turn it off. The drop in RH from cold outside
air being heated is significant. If your humidistat wants to keep it
running, it's a good bet it's broken.

Then there's the fact that a dehumidifier in colder air freezes up and just
wastes electricity - assuming there's enough moisture in the air to freeze
up on, that is.

As to garages, rickluce - I would no more attempt to dehumidify the
neighborhood than I would to air condition it. Which by the way, dries the
air. Takes a fairly intrusion-controlled space before either is worthwhile.

Posted to rec.woodworking
rickluce

I have noticed they put out quite a bit of heat.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave

"DonkeyHody" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dave wrote:
I have my woodshop in my basement. I live in Illinois. Do you recommend
that
I leave it on all winter long, or just in the spring, summer, and fall?
Thanks

Doesn't it have a humidistat that will turn it off when the humidity
level gets low enough? If so, I'd leave it on year 'round. Otherwise,
buy a hygrometer to monitor humidity levels to make your decision.

DonkeyHody
"Give a hungry man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him to fish
and . . . he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day."

It does have a stat and I can hear the compressor kick on and off
occasionally. However, the fan runs all the time.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave

I am in Ohio (couple states east of you) and in the winter, I am having to run a
whole house humidifier to keep the humidity to a decent level and reduce static
electricity build up on the carpets and cat...

Usually the air inside of a house in this region gets drier during the winter
months because the humidity outside is low also...I would suggest only running
it in spring, summer and fall unless you have central air.

Dave wrote:

I have my woodshop in my basement. I live in Illinois. Do you recommend that
I leave it on all winter long, or just in the spring, summer, and fall?
Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:13:57 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

I have my woodshop in my basement. I live in Illinois. Do you recommend that
I leave it on all winter long, or just in the spring, summer, and fall?

Turn it off (you can rig a thermostat for this) if the air temperature
in the room drops within a few degrees of freezing. You can sometimes
achieve this with a timeswitch too.

Humidifiers work by dropping the air temperature to just below freezing.
This causes moisture to precipitate as frost on the humidifier
evaporator. However if the air is already near to this temperature, they
are increasingly less effective.

In Illinois I'd expect that your winters are pretty dry and you wouldn't
need the dehumidifier in winter anyway. My winters are damp and I need
it most just now, sadly when its least effective.

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM