Posted to rec.woodworking
TrailRat

Default Plywood sheet question

I have at my disposal a lot of 8'x5', quarter inch plywood. Nothing
fancy, just the cheap and cheerful stuff. I plan to make a load of
storage crates for the loft and was curious as to what is the best way
to work out how many pieces of how many boxes I would get out of one
sheet of ply. I'm working in divison of 6 inches to make the math
easier. So the boxes would be 18" deep, 12" wide and 24" long. Also the
lid would have to be included in the math, as would the base board.
These would be 12" x 24" each.

I'm trying to figure out how many boxes to each sheet I could get. Any
ideas??

Many Thanks

TR

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser

"TrailRat" wrote:

I have at my disposal a lot of 8'x5', quarter inch plywood. Nothing
fancy, just the cheap and cheerful stuff. I plan to make a load of
storage crates for the loft and was curious as to what is the best way
to work out how many pieces of how many boxes I would get out of one
sheet of ply. I'm working in divison of 6 inches to make the math
easier.

While you're making the math easier, don't forget the saw kerf - ~1/8".

So the boxes would be 18" deep, 12" wide and 24" long. Also the
lid would have to be included in the math, as would the base board.
These would be 12" x 24" each.

I'm trying to figure out how many boxes to each sheet I could get. Any
ideas??

Google 'cutlist software'.

Many Thanks

TR

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

TrailRat wrote:
I have at my disposal a lot of 8'x5', quarter inch plywood. Nothing
fancy, just the cheap and cheerful stuff. I plan to make a load of
storage crates for the loft and was curious as to what is the best way
to work out how many pieces of how many boxes I would get out of one
sheet of ply. I'm working in divison of 6 inches to make the math
easier. So the boxes would be 18" deep, 12" wide and 24" long. Also the
lid would have to be included in the math, as would the base board.
These would be 12" x 24" each.

I'm trying to figure out how many boxes to each sheet I could get. Any
ideas??

Well, if every box has six sides and, if you don't mind having ~1'x8'
scraps each board could be used to make two square boxes if you divide
it lengthwise in three (two 2' sections, with 1' of waste) and widthwise
in four.

You could use the 1'x8' scraps for a different size box, or make
something else with them.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

TrailRat wrote:

I'm trying to figure out how many boxes to each sheet I could get. Any
ideas??

Oldest trick in the world.

Get some graph paper, make some scale paper dolls and go to work.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
TrailRat

Yes, checked it twice. I think it's unique to the UK. Not sure what the
Americans get though so I can't give an honest opinion.

JGS wrote:
The free version of Cutlistplus is a good idea. Are the sheets really 5 feet
wide? JG

Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody

TrailRat wrote:
I have at my disposal a lot of 8'x5', quarter inch plywood. Nothing
fancy, just the cheap and cheerful stuff. I plan to make a load of
storage crates for the loft and was curious as to what is the best way
to work out how many pieces of how many boxes I would get out of one
sheet of ply. I'm working in divison of 6 inches to make the math
easier. So the boxes would be 18" deep, 12" wide and 24" long. Also the
lid would have to be included in the math, as would the base board.
These would be 12" x 24" each.

I'm trying to figure out how many boxes to each sheet I could get. Any
ideas??

TR,
First, reduce each dimension by 1/4" to allow for saw kerfs.

That gives you 17 3/4 X 11 3/4 X 23 3/4. Then you'll get 3 boxes from
each sheet with very little waste.

If you stick to your original dimensions, you'll only be able to get 2
1/3 boxes from each sheet (3 sheets yields 7 boxes).

DonkeyHody

Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody

Lobby Dosser wrote:

Google 'cutlist software'.

Every now and then, this newsgroup really pays off.

With Google's delay in posting, I had already answered his question
before I saw your answer.

I've been using CAD to do layout, and thought I was pretty good at it.
But I've spent countless hours agonizing over how to avoid buying
another sheet of plywood.

I downloaded the free version of Cutlist and went throught the
tutorial. I'm mighty impressed.

Give a hungry man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him to fish
and he will never be hungry again.

I gave him a fish. You taught us both to fish.

Thanks for the tip.

DonkeyHody
"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor
judgement."

Sheet Metal project price question. lane Metalworking 7 January 4th 04 08:56 PM
What is "AC fir plywood"? PC Gameplayer Woodworking 8 December 26th 03 12:51 PM
plywood question Rick Hughes UK diy 1 November 10th 03 10:52 AM
applying wallpaper mural to sheet of plywood kdoret Home Repair 2 August 20th 03 12:40 AM