Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default DO NOT READ THIS chomsky INTERVIEW

http://u2r2h.modblog.com/

In the 19th century, the United States had something kind of
approximating a market system.

Now we have nothing like a market--they may teach you [that] in
economics courses, but that's not the way it works. And one of the
signs of the decline of the market is advertisement. So if you have a
real market you don't advertise: you just give information. For
example, there are corners of the economy that do run like markets--for
example stock markets. If you have ten shares of General Motors that
you want to sell, you don't put up an ad on television with a sexy
model holding up the ten shares saying "ask your broker if this is good
for you; it's good for me," or something like that. What you do is you
sell it at the market price. If you had a market for cars, toothpaste,
or whatever, lifestyle drugs, you would do the same thing. GM would put
up a brief notice saying here's the information about our models. Well,
you've seen television ads, so I don't have to tell you how it works.
The idea is to delude and deceive people with imagery. And the same has
happened to the print media. Take the New York Times for example. They
have