Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

Default DO NOT READ THIS chomsky INTERVIEW

wrote:

http://u2r2h.modblog.com/

In the 19th century, the United States had something kind of
approximating a market system.

Now we have nothing like a market--they may teach you [that] in
economics courses, but that's not the way it works. And one of the
signs of the decline of the market is advertisement. So if you
have a real market you don't advertise: you just give information.
For example, there are corners of the economy that do run like
markets--for example stock markets. If you have ten shares of
General Motors that you want to sell, you don't put up an ad on
television with a sexy model holding up the ten shares saying "ask
your broker if this is good for you; it's good for me," or
something like that. What you do is you sell it at the market
price. If you had a market for cars, toothpaste, or whatever,
lifestyle drugs, you would do the same thing. GM would put up a
brief notice saying here's the information about our models. Well,
you've seen television ads, so I don't have to tell you how it
works. The idea is to delude and deceive people with imagery. And
the same has happened to the print media. Take the New York Times
for example. They have

Positively nutty. Advertising and marketing are perfectly legitimate
components of a free market system and have been around in one form or
another since the beginning of time. That said, if your goal is to
point out inequities and defects in our modern markets, there are
certainly plenty to choose from.