Posted to rec.woodworking
Wyatt

Default Base Moldings from mdf

I was unable to find the type of base moldings that I want to use in my
house and I don't want to pay for someone to make them custom.
Essentially, all I want is flat 5" molding with an an 1/8 or 1/4
roundover on one edge. This would be complemented by a shoe mold which
I can easily find. The whole thing painted white.

Is there any reason not to get a 4x8 sheet of mdf and cut 5" strips
and use those as a base mold?

~ Wyatt

Posted to rec.woodworking
woodarama

no problem as long as water doesn't come in contact.mdf and water dont
mix.i wouldn't use them in the kitchen.i would also prime all 4
sides.also hd carries mdf shelving which is 11-1/2" wide i believe,you
could get two 5" pieces out of one board.a little more expensive but a
lot easier to handle and rip on the ts.also wear a dust mask this stuff
is very dusty.hth

Posted to rec.woodworking
Geo

Wyatt wrote:
I was unable to find the type of base moldings that I want to use in my
house and I don't want to pay for someone to make them custom.
Essentially, all I want is flat 5" molding with an an 1/8 or 1/4
roundover on one edge. This would be complemented by a shoe mold which
I can easily find. The whole thing painted white.

Is there any reason not to get a 4x8 sheet of mdf and cut 5" strips
and use those as a base mold?

~ Wyatt

I did something similar, but made the entire baseboard from mdf. I
didn't anticipate the amount of sanding that would be needed so if I
were to do it all over again I would probably do something like you are
going to do. From a cost perspective I saved a lot of money as I did a
large amount of linerar feet. I agree with the other poster about
priming and sealing all four sides, especially if there is a chance
that it will get some water contact. Tho only other downside is that
the outside corners are fairly suseptible to damage depending on kids,
traffic, etc. Otherwise, it has worked out great for me.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike O.

On 23 Dec 2005 09:00:05 -0800, "Wyatt" wrote:

Is there any reason not to get a 4x8 sheet of mdf and cut 5" strips
and use those as a base mold?

I'd say the only drawback might be that you will have a joint every
8'. If you don't have many long walls and if your installation at
the joints is good, you will probably be the only one to notice the
joints.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Mike O." wrote in message
On 23 Dec 2005 09:00:05 -0800, "Wyatt" wrote:

Is there any reason not to get a 4x8 sheet of mdf and cut 5" strips
and use those as a base mold?

I'd say the only drawback might be that you will have a joint every
8'. If you don't have many long walls and if your installation at
the joints is good, you will probably be the only one to notice the
joints.

Mike O.

If you buy the bulk preprimed and not finished moldings you can get the MDF
12' ers at Lowe's .

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Stutzman

Leon wrote:

If you buy the bulk preprimed and not finished moldings you can get the MDF
12' ers at Lowe's .

Another vote for the pre-primed stuff. MDF will suck up a LOT of paint.
The less cutting of it the better.

I could be mistaken, but when I did the trim for our basement, I'm pretty
sure the local orange Borg had it in 16' ers.

--
Frank Stutzman

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike O.

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 19:04:44 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

Is there any reason not to get a 4x8 sheet of mdf and cut 5" strips
and use those as a base mold?

I'd say the only drawback might be that you will have a joint every
8'. If you don't have many long walls and if your installation at
the joints is good, you will probably be the only one to notice the
joints.

Mike O.

If you buy the bulk preprimed and not finished moldings you can get the MDF
12' ers at Lowe's .

I think the OP was wanting just a round over on a 5" tall piece so was
asking about using 4x8 mdf sheet goods.
I agree if he wanted a pre-made mdf base, the longer 12' or even 14'
pieces would be the way to go.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Ajax

Check with a building supplier that provides materials to home
builders and you should be able to find a wealth of MDF trims. If they
don't stock what you want, my guess is that they can order it.

I would not go the 4x8 route. Having a joint every 8' is not a good
thing.

On 23 Dec 2005 09:00:05 -0800, "Wyatt" wrote:

I was unable to find the type of base moldings that I want to use in my
house and I don't want to pay for someone to make them custom.
Essentially, all I want is flat 5" molding with an an 1/8 or 1/4
roundover on one edge. This would be complemented by a shoe mold which
I can easily find. The whole thing painted white.

Is there any reason not to get a 4x8 sheet of mdf and cut 5" strips
and use those as a base mold?

~ Wyatt

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob V

Thats pretty much what I did for my shop bathroom.
I had some 5/8" MDF - cut it to 4" strips - ran it thru the router table for
a roundover - primed w/ kiltz - installed and painted white.

Looks great.

"Wyatt" wrote in message
ups.com...
I was unable to find the type of base moldings that I want to use in my
house and I don't want to pay for someone to make them custom.
Essentially, all I want is flat 5" molding with an an 1/8 or 1/4
roundover on one edge. This would be complemented by a shoe mold which
I can easily find. The whole thing painted white.

Is there any reason not to get a 4x8 sheet of mdf and cut 5" strips
and use those as a base mold?

~ Wyatt

Quickie review of General International "Universal Mobile Base" (50-025) Clint Woodworking 0 January 29th 05 06:37 PM
SPF ..Advice needed for coloring Moldings....staining with water base stains or dyes. Gino Woodworking 2 December 14th 04 01:23 AM
Novice seeks any tips for installing rubber wall base Dolchas Home Repair 2 July 4th 04 03:22 PM
Shower base repair Kevin Webb UK diy 0 January 19th 04 03:09 AM
Porter Cable 690 router mounted to TS extension, do I use plunge base or standard Montyhp Woodworking 3 July 24th 03 02:58 PM